Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshocker
Stranger
 User Gallery
Hydroponic Humidifier - Salvage airpump for FAE?
    #19904450 - 04/26/14 07:28 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

So I purchased a grow kit, I know.

18/18 jars colonized
0 Contaminations!

8 Cakes were ready to be put into the fruiting chamber 6 days ago. Beautiful pins on most at this point. The kit I purchased came with a "hydroponic humidifier", which uses an airpump and a jar filled with water to "humidify" the chamber.
The perlite alone keeps the chamber at a constant 99%, however I feel like it may help with FAE.
The airpump has a hose that has a little hepa filter inside of it, so it does provide clean air.
The pre-drilled hole for the hose is on the top half of the chamber.
There are 3 holes in the middle of the chamber that have micropore tape on them.
For the second set, I plan on going with a SGFC. For now, should i just scrap the "humidifier" and just run the clean air into my chamber?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineconcrete_666
fungus among us
Male

Loc: the land of the free
Re: Hydroponic Humidifier - Salvage airpump for FAE? [Re: shocker]
    #19904499 - 04/26/14 07:43 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

The kit by itself works. Actually works good

--------------------
Which came first, the chicken or the egg? If heaven was perfect, how was there a fallen Angel, before sin?

OfflineMushroomWizard420
mycological magician
Male

Loc: space Flag
    #19904515 - 04/26/14 07:48 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

shocker said:
So I purchased a grow kit, I know.

18/18 jars colonized
0 Contaminations!

8 Cakes were ready to be put into the fruiting chamber 6 days ago. Beautiful pins on most at this point. The kit I purchased came with a "hydroponic humidifier", which uses an airpump and a jar filled with water to "humidify" the chamber.
The perlite alone keeps the chamber at a constant 99%, however I feel like it may help with FAE.
The airpump has a hose that has a little hepa filter inside of it, so it does provide clean air.
The pre-drilled hole for the hose is on the top half of the chamber.
There are 3 holes in the middle of the chamber that have micropore tape on them.
For the second set, I plan on going with a SGFC. For now, should i just scrap the "humidifier" and just run the clean air into my chamber?

yes, scrap the humidifier. i started with one too (tetra air pump from a pet store) and it kept humidity way up, but RR and many other TC's have posted many times that 99% humidity is not the most important thing for fruiting. FAE is by far, but along with that it is more effective for fruiting if you mist your shrooms, allow the mist to evaporate, and then repeat. If the mist never evaporates the mushrooms won't grow nearly as quickly or abundantly, and you will also have to worry about build-up of condensation that usually leads to bacteria. The SGFC is designed to provide this because it stimulates fluctuations in air pressure, and that produces plenty of FAE.

--------------------
"And on the last day, God purchased RogerRabbit's DVD set, and learned to grow mushrooms. And it was good."
-Shroomesis 4:20

:supershroom: :supershroom: :supershroom: :kingtard::supershroom: :supershroom: :supershroom:
                                  :poison: MushroomWizard420 :poison:
                                              :shroomin:

The spirit of the forest watches over his children as they grow...

OfflineMushroomWizard420
mycological magician
Male

Re: Hydroponic Humidifier - Salvage airpump for FAE? [Re: MushroomWizard420]
    #19904525 - 04/26/14 07:49 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

the simple SGFC with perlite and a bajillion holes has withstood the test of time as the best fruiting chamber for cakes. it made me feel inadequate when i learned this and had to restart my FC from square one after all my "enhancements," but when i compared the results of my harvests i was pretty satisfied :thumbup:

--------------------
"And on the last day, God purchased RogerRabbit's DVD set, and learned to grow mushrooms. And it was good."

:supershroom: :supershroom: :supershroom: :kingtard::supershroom: :supershroom: :supershroom:

Offlineshocker
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #19904550 - 04/26/14 07:54 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the responses, however my question is still not really answered.

Should I run the airpump straight into the chamber to at least add some positive pressure?

OfflineMushroomWizard420
mycological magician
Male

#19904718 - 04/26/14 08:35 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

shocker said:
Thanks for the responses, however my question is still not really answered.

Should I run the airpump straight into the chamber to at least add some positive pressure?

you won't need it at all, the holes in the bottom of the FC will bring air up through the perlite to the lower pressured air around your cakes and out through the holes in the top, wicking moisture from the perlite as the air passes through, effectively adding humidity and FAE simultaneously. All you have to do is mist, allow evaporation to occur, and repeat 4-6 times a day. RR's ingenious SGFC does everything else for you.

--------------------

Offlineconcrete_666
fungus among us
Male

Loc: the land of the free
    #19906140 - 04/27/14 07:05 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I used per spec and had great results, not knocking sgfc, but not every growing room is suitable for sgfc, especially if u need a fan to keep and regulate temps, as in my case. Obviously all the pics and post prove that the sgfc is,a,proven method when you have the option of doing so. I used per spec and kept a steady 94% humidity 24hrs a day. The pump is supplying fae through hepa filter that is fresh, and humid. It does work. It may not be the BEST method but like,i said everyones housing environment is different. Once again im not telling you what to do but the kit works, is it the best method? Maybe not, but still feasible if you had to.

--------------------
Which came first, the chicken or the egg? If heaven was perfect, how was there a fallen Angel, before sin?

OfflineQuexl
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Hydroponic Humidifier - Salvage airpump for FAE? [Re: concrete_666]
    #19906183 - 04/27/14 07:28 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Is it like a fish pump? Here's an experiment -- take a big bong hit or a drag of a cigarette and blow the smoke in the chamber with the pump running and see how long it takes for the smoke to dissipate, if it does. Small pumps like that don't really do too much, and imo it's better to suck air out for FAE.

--------------------
grain spawn bacteria info

OfflineMushroomWizard420
mycological magician
Male

Re: Hydroponic Humidifier - Salvage airpump for FAE? [Re: concrete_666]
    #19907473 - 04/27/14 02:09 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

concrete_666 said:
I used per spec and had great results, not knocking sgfc, but not every growing room is suitable for sgfc, especially if u need a fan to keep and regulate temps, as in my case. Obviously all the pics and post prove that the sgfc is,a,proven method when you have the option of doing so. I used per spec and kept a steady 94% humidity 24hrs a day. The pump is supplying fae through hepa filter that is fresh, and humid. It does work. It may not be the BEST method but like,i said everyones housing environment is different. Once again im not telling you what to do but the kit works, is it the best method? Maybe not, but still feasible if you had to.

actually the sgfc will work in any environment. using a humidifier will work, but you'll never achieve the same results as you would using a SGFC because the humidity seldom/never fluctuates when using a humidifier.

i cut/pasted the info form this link:
http://www.mushroomvideos.com/Terrarium-Tek
read up:
The terrarium system that I designed and demonstrate here is what I consider to be the best combination of easy construction, excellent function, and low maintenance. To watch a video of the terrarium under construction, see part 3 of the BRF/PF tek video. It's been dubbed the shotgun terrarium, and the name seems to have stuck. The name comes from the appearance of up to a few hundred holes that are drilled into the plastic storage bin.

Click thumbnails to enlarge
Shotgun Terrarium Theory of Operation

The theory of operation for the shotgun mushroom fruiting chamber is that natural air currents travel from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure. Cool air has the molecules closer together than warm air, thus cool air is at a slightly higher pressure than warm air. When we put several inches of damp perlite in the bottom of our terrarium, we create an area with a slightly cooler temperature than the air above, which is exposed to lights that create heat, and our mushroom substrates, which are often at up to a few degrees warmer than the surrounding air due to thermogenesis.

Click thumbnails to enlarge
This temperature differential, however slight, results in enough of a pressure gradient that it causes air to flow up through the perlite, absorbing moisture as it travels, and into the relatively lower pressure air within the fruiting portion of our fruiting chamber.

This air then exits through the holes in the upper section of the terrarium, carrying the excessive CO2 produced by our mycelium out with it. With this design, no electrical or mechanical equipment is required. Regular misting helps to keep our brf cakes or other substrates moist, and also serves to replace the moisture that evaporates from the perlite.

Click to enlarge
When using this system, drill holes as shown in the pictures and video clip on all six sides. I use a 1/4" (6mm) drill bit. Use of a larger drill bit is not recommended. It must be remembered that a 1/2" hole has four times the area of a 1/4" hole. (A 12 mm hole has four times the area of a 6 mm hole) If the holes are too large, your terrarium will not be able to maintain the high humidity necessary for growing mushrooms.
This system also requires an ambient humidity in your house of 30% or above, which incidentally will ensure your own comfort as well. In desert climates, and especially in cold climates during the winter months, indoor humidity is often very low. If you get shocked from touching another person, or a light switch, etc., after walking across the carpet in your home, it means your humidity is too low. The answer is to run a cool mist humidifier 24/7 in your home. Moist air holds heat much better than dry air, so you'll actually lower your utility bills by doing so. If you'll ensure that the humidity in your growing room is at least 30%, this design terrarium will easily maintain 95% humidity on the inside where your mushrooms need it.
Of course, it should go without saying that for this system to work properly, the terrarium must be elevated at least 1" above the table it's sitting on. Use blocks of wood, shot glasses, or whatever you have around the house to raise the terrarium off the table so air can circulate under it. It should also be noted that 90% of all airborne contaminants in a room are located near the floor, so make sure your terrarium has a home on a table or shelf.

Lighting Requirements of Mushrooms

Some mushrooms, such as the Agaricus species commonly found in grocery stores require no light at all. However, those commonly grown by hobbyists, such as Pleurotus ostreatus (Oyster Mushrooms), Lentinus enodes (Shiitake), Psilocybe cubensis, a hallucinogenic mushroom, and Hericium erinaceus (Lion's Mane) all require light to produce abundant, normal sized fruits. Experience has taught us that the light best suited for primordia formation and the development of fruitbodies is bright light with a color temperature of 5,000 Kelvin to 7,000 Kelvin. Fortunately, this type of light is easily obtainable at your local home improvement center in the form of fluorescent fixtures. For a small terrarium as described in this chapter, a single CFL (compact fluorescent) that screws into a standard light bulb socket will work very well. These can often be found in grocery and drug stores in every neighborhood. 15 watt CFLs will do the job well, but the package will probably have a large 60 stamped on it, indicating they produce light "equivalent" to a 60 watt incandescent light bulb. They're referring to lumens of output, not the frequency. Incandescent light bulbs are the worst possible choice for growing mushrooms, since they emit a 'red' light in the 3,000 Kelvin color temperature range.

The higher the color temperature, expressed in Kelvin, the closer to the 'blue' end of the spectrum the emitted light is. The lower the color temperature the 'redder' the light is. If you have a choice of fluorescent lamps, purchase those labeled 'daylight' since these have a somewhat higher color temperature than cool white. Daylight, sometimes called 'natural daylight' fluorescent tubes generally emit light in the 6,500 Kelvin range, while cool white fluorescent emits light at around 5,000 Kelvin.

If you have several terrariums stacked or otherwise near each other, you can use larger 2 to 4 tube fluorescent fixtures. These come in 48" and 96" lengths. Place the fluorescent lamps as close as you can get them to your terrariums without causing excessive heating. Species such as Shiitake and Oyster mushrooms prefer to fruit at temperatures in the upper 50's to mid 60's Fahrenheit (15C to 20C), while Psilocybe cubensis prefers to fruit at a temperature in the mid 70s to about 80 Fahrenheit (23C to 27C)

Most mushroom species don't mind a slightly warmer temperature during daytime than at night, so if your grow room is a bit colder than the temperature ranges given above, a little warming from your lights during the daytime won't hurt at all, provided you don't let the air in your terrarium get too dry. For cakes, try to keep the humidity above 95%.

Cased substrates are a bit more forgiving, but still try to keep your humidity above 90%. 12 hours on, 12 hours off has proved to be a great combination over a wide range of species. Of course, if you have a bright window near your terrarium, that will suffice, but direct sunlight for more than a few minutes per day should be avoided.

Disregard outdated advice in old books which is constantly repeated on the internet to colonize mushroom substrates in total darkness. Experience and rigorous peer reviewed studies have proved that exposure to low level ambient indoor lighting during spawn run and substrate colonizing will speed up the process, leading to full colonization up to a few days earlier than the same substrate would if colonized in darkness. In addition, mushroom mycelium develops a day/night circadian rhythm, so exposure to light from day of inoculation sets this process in motion, leading to earlier fruiting and harvest.

--------------------

OfflineMushroomWizard420
mycological magician
Male

#19907522 - 04/27/14 02:19 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

but yea it will produce shrooms, just not as much abundance as if you had made a SGFC, and all the materials for your self-automated terrarium are much more expensive than a plastic tub, a soldering iron for punching holes (produces toxins but i'm on a budget so gimme dat cancer), and a bag or two of perlite. your set up will work fine but it will probably take longer and produce less booms.

just wanted to clarify i wasn't saying "you suck stupid idea follow the crowd!" lol

--------------------

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #19907549 - 04/27/14 02:24 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MushroomWizard420 said:

just wanted to clarify i wasn't saying "you suck stupid idea follow the crowd!" lol

i'll say it lol, it's what happens when u get a kit

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hydroponic Humidifier - Salvage airpump for FAE? [Re: cronicr]
    #19907560 - 04/27/14 02:26 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

least his mind is set to a sgfc for the future, op i would unhook it all and mist as needed

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineMushroomWizard420
mycological magician
Male

Re: Hydroponic Humidifier - Salvage airpump for FAE? [Re: cronicr]
    #19908132 - 04/27/14 04:20 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

cronicr said:
least his mind is set to a sgfc for the future, op i would unhook it all and mist as needed

and do what i did when you decide to make the switch:
use the heater to make a cheap incubator for colonizing cakes. the only thing you really wont need is the humidifier.
but hey, now you can make a sauna in your bathroom to detox from tripping :thumbup:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale