Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
Michigan Mushrooms (w/ pics)
    #1984223 - 10/06/03 03:26 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

First, I want to make it clear that I am not really interested in hunting active shrooms. I am all set in that depatment.:-)

But, I have been browsing this forum lately and have become curious about shrooms in general. When I go for walks nowadays I find myself looking for mushrooms. What a thrill when you find one you have never seen before. Especially after growing the magic ones. Very interesting.

Anyways, I found these today and was wondering if I could get some help with Identifying them. Here it goes.

Location: Wooded area behind my house. They were growing directly out of a dead tree.I think it is a pine tree. It is terribly rotten.

Spore print: I asked three people what color they thought it was, Without telling them what I thought, And each person said purple. Looks more reddish to me, actually.

Taste, Touch, and Odor: I chewed up and spit out a very small piece. To me it tasted just like the psilocybe shrooms I eat on occasion.They are semi-dry and fall apart pretty easily. They do not appear to bruise. Smells like plain ol' mushrooms.

Gills: Attatched.

I have looked at all the pictures of actives that can be found in michigan and I know these are not active.Just curious about them. Thanks.

Pic #1

Pic #2

Pic #3

Pic #4

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesirreal
devoid
Re: Michigan Mushrooms (w/ pics) [Re: sirreal]
    #1984252 - 10/06/03 03:35 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

After a couple of hours they seem to be bruising the same color as the spore print. Really dark.

--------------------
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1984693 - 10/06/03 06:22 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Given the following characteristics:

Dark spore print (purple brown? very dark brown? reddish brown?)
Attached gills
Growth on wood
Clustered growth habit
Thin fleshed and fragile
Semi-dry(?) cap (I'll guess that includes "not slimy")

Those are probably a species of Psathyrella. Identification to species requires a microscope. Edibility is almost certainly unknown (so don't eat them).

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Re: Michigan Mushrooms (w/ pics) [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1984736 - 10/06/03 06:40 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks.

There are like 500 of these things growing on that dead tree!

If they were edible I'd have quite a stockpile. :cool: 

--------------------
-----------

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
    #1985135 - 10/06/03 09:07 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I found something similar last week here in southern New England... Here's a picture of them growing on the stump.. I macroscopically keyed them out to be psathyrella hydrophila,(clustered Psathyrella). As TM states no certainty without microscopic work.. These were quite remarkable and I'm sure the pictures will not do them justice..as you mentioned sirreal, 100's per stump...if you look closely you can see pins comming through and the black spots are from a previous fruiting, great stuff.

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

Edited by nofind_um (10/07/03 04:46 AM)

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Re: Michigan Mushrooms (w/ pics) [Re: nofind_um]
    #1986272 - 10/07/03 07:00 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks alot for posting those pictures, nofind_um.

They do seem to be the same mushroom. And yes, they are nice. I like the looks of them.

Unfortunately I do not have a microscope. Never needed one before now. I will be getting one if I decide to make a hobby out of hunting.

--------------------
-----------

Edited by sirreal (10/07/03 07:01 AM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1987099 - 10/07/03 02:35 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

You don't have to have a microscope for hunting. For a large number of mushrooms you need one to ID them, but you don't actually need to know what kind most of them are. Even if you get a microscope, the hard part is getting the information on what to look for.

There are piles of mushrooms that you can identify reasonably well without a microscope. At first you should be sticking to those sorts of mushrooms anyway.

Start by learning some of the more distinctive species in your area. If you're planning to ever eat (for any reason) any of the mushrooms you find, then you should also learn *all* of the deadly species of mushrooms, so you can make sure you're not eating anything that might be one of them.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineWick0742
Stranger
    #23193104 - 05/05/16 05:39 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

I found these earlier today and im trying to identify them if any of you guys can help
Found them on a tree that fell over and they were growing on the stump underneath and in the dirt around it

Invisibleo8u
Taxa Collector
Other User Gallery

Loc: United States Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: Michigan Mushrooms (w/ pics) [Re: Wick0742]
    #23193127 - 05/05/16 05:48 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Coprinellus micaceus sensu lato

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract