Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRandomFX
protege
Male User Gallery

Loc: North-East, USA Flag
Wonder how this would work as a technique? wood pellet and agar wedge for logs.
    #19763264 - 03/29/14 08:11 AM (10 years, 20 days ago)

wonder how it would work as a inoculation technique for logs? the technique would basically be:

1) drill a hole 1" deep into the log. Hole dia. would be just larger than a hardwood wood pellet.

2) take a petri of colonized agar and cut it into little squares or small strips about the same size as the hole.

3)take piece of colonized agar, stick in hole and shove non hydrated woodpellet in after it.

when the wood pellet absorbs moisture either from the surrounding wood, or when you water it, it should potentially seal itself one would think...the mycelium is in there, should be protected, probably?

or...maybe one could simply drill the holes, make a slurry out of the agar, dip the wood pellet in the slurry and quickly stick it in the hole before it hydrates and gets soft as they go along. They couldn't do it with water, but agar in a blender surely wouldn't expand the pellets as fast as high water content would.

or... they could drill the holes, stick a liquid culture syringe in , squirt liquid culture in the hole, then add the wood pellet which would absorb the liquid culture expand and seal itself. I think I like that best actually, but I see no reason all the above wouldn't work, and work darn good too. who needs dowels when you can buy a 40 lb bag of hardwood pellets for $2-$3 with a gazillion of them?

I'm gonna do it. In fact I may do it today.

p.s. hole size would be important. you want it a fair bit more than the dia. of the wood pellets, so it can expand, and thus absorb moisture, allow the mycelium to spread. I just did a test with a wood pellet and they expand about twice their dia. so whatever wood pellet you get or have, measure it and make the hole probably 1.5 it's dia. I would guess around 8-9mm or so. thats about what my pellets equal out to be about. that will allow a few mm's around the plug to push the water up and around it to hydrate it, I'm thinking.

Edited by RandomFX (03/29/14 08:58 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemrtumnas
Oyster-licious
 User Gallery

Re: Wonder how this would work as a technique? wood pellet and agar wedge for logs. [Re: RandomFX]
    #19763352 - 03/29/14 09:06 AM (10 years, 20 days ago)

The sawdust won't stay in or wet unless you cap it with wax, but yeah, that's basically the theory behind sawdust span. I prefer doing logs with sawdust spawn actually.

I don't know about all that agar stuff...sounds like you'd need a crap load of plates to do one log. Making sawdust spawn would be cheaper and easier.

OfflineRandomFX
protege
Male User Gallery

Loc: North-East, USA Flag
Re: Wonder how this would work as a technique? wood pellet and agar wedge for logs. [Re: mrtumnas]
    #19768568 - 03/30/14 01:08 PM (10 years, 19 days ago)

Well, it's a done deal. 10 logs inoculated with shiitake S75 and a regular generic strain. The way I did it, is:

took 1 plate each of the strain grown out on agar.

took 2 quart of distilled water

took 1 plate of set agar I had sitting.

Multiple 7-12" dia maple logs segment, that were cut during the winter. 3-4 ft long. bark on of course.

put the full plate of grown out agar with the strain, 1 quart of distilled water and 1/2 plate of the plain agar that was set, and put it in a blender. zippity doodaa a pulse or two and it was blended uber fine, put in a quart container. Then repeated with the other strain

filled the syringe with one of the mixtures

Drilled a line of holes down the log, about 1" deep. which were a bit bigger than the dia. of my wood pellets.

used the syringe to fill the  hole in the wood

took a 1" piece of wood pellet and slide it in the hole. the hole was a bit deeper than the wood pellet was long often, so I am hoping it has a tiny reservoir of water. we'll see what we see.

I put these logs in my garage after, in a plastic tent. I hope to help the mycelium spread, and keep them moist. I plan on moving them to a moist shaded area behind my garage in a few weeks. I also plan on keeping them watered and misted heavily. I did not wax the plugs. I could of, I have plenty of wax frankly. I may still do so even. but haven't yet.

After I was done 'plugging' the logs I also took a few 10 ml syringes, filled them with the spore solution and squirted them on the logs. each drop of that stuff has got to have a gazillion cells in it, so...why not? super easy to make and grow out a full plate of mycelium on agar anyways. and I still have over half a quart of each. I also pointedly got some underneath the bark. figuring honeslty that is the real goal.

I have high confidence in this experiment, frankly.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags