Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinerobemeen
Stranger
Living room and Kitchen painting ideas?
    #19643203 - 03/03/14 06:20 AM (10 years, 28 days ago)

I want to paint my living room a beige color and decorate it in primitives like reds and dark blues. I would like to paint our kitchen a sage green and have it wine themed. My question is will these two themes and colors go well together? The house is open so you can see the kitchen from the living room. If not what would be some suggestions? I would like to keep the two themes but not sure how to mix them.

steven barbarich

Edited by robemeen (03/08/14 07:27 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
Re: Living room and Kitchen painting ideas? [Re: robemeen]
    #19643246 - 03/03/14 06:49 AM (10 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

robemeen said:
I want to paint my living room a beige color and decorate it in primitives like reds and dark blues. I would like to paint our kitchen a sage green and have it wine themed. My question is will these two themes and colors go well together? The house is open so you can see the kitchen from the living room. If not what would be some suggestions? I would like to keep the two themes but not sure how to mix them.

Unclear what you mean by "decorate" with the darker colors.

Personally I am a super boring painter.  I use Behr Ultra Eggshell #1812 AKA "swiss coffee" from Home Depot.  It's neutral, yet has enough pigment to not look too bright.  Bright yet not too bright on the eye.

I don't do themes, I don't do dark colors.  For precisely the reason you mention.  Open spaces look even more open in one color.

That's my 2 cents...

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Edited by LunarEclipse (03/03/14 06:51 AM)

OfflineFreeTheSoul
The wonderer.

Re: Living room and Kitchen painting ideas? [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #19643394 - 03/03/14 08:20 AM (10 years, 28 days ago)

Break some stuff in your kitchen then put graffiti everywhere, would be a trap house kitchen. Get a muralist and make your living room look like an ocean/coral reef.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: Living room and Kitchen painting ideas? [Re: FreeTheSoul]
    #19643423 - 03/03/14 08:34 AM (10 years, 28 days ago)

I spent a few years interior finishing, and although I usually wasn't selecting colors, I have seen many combo's that don't work.

First keep in mind that you will need to use a "kitchen and bath" semi gloss in the kitchen, for ease of cleaning. In other words, your kitchen paint will have a sheen, keep this in mind when you select your colors.

Second - If you want colors which are connected (visible in the same space,) choose from the same color family. In a color catalog you get from the paint store, choose related colors which are very close to one another. You MAY have success choosing unrelated colors, but it is far from a sure thing. Choosing related colors is the safest bet.

Lastly, Red's and dark blues take alot of paint to get a thick consistent coat, expect these dark colors to cost more than more neutral colors. Get tinted primer in order to ensure easier coverage.

Also - buy from a reputable paint store - IMO BEHR and other big box store brands are crap. However, if you are painting alot a 5 gallon of KILZ waterbase from homedepot makes a nice cheap primer.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Re: Living room and Kitchen painting ideas? [Re: PDU]
    #19643487 - 03/03/14 08:48 AM (10 years, 28 days ago)

"IMO Behr and other big box store brands are crap."

Whoop de doo.  Home Depot carries about six brands.  Are they all crap?  Thankfully I at least use KILZ II from of course Home Depot, but instead of paying more for a 5 gallon container, you can actually pay less for a 2 gallon container and far easier to work with.  But you knew that.

Really though, who do you love?  Sherman Williams?  I like the Duration for outside.  Other than that, for interior the Behr Ultra Eggshell has been pretty bullet proof.  I like it better than the Premium Plus.

Do you actually do painting, pick colors, and such?  I mean semi-gloss is overkill in a kitchen.  Even satin is capable of being cleaned, and the eggshell is also.  Extra sheen doesn't guarantee anything other than too shiny of a surface...

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Re: Living room and Kitchen painting ideas? [Re: FreeTheSoul]
    #19643492 - 03/03/14 08:50 AM (10 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

FreeTheSoul said:
Break some stuff in your kitchen then put graffiti everywhere, would be a trap house kitchen. Get a muralist and make your living room look like an ocean/coral reef.

You sound more like a tile guy...and shells.

--------------------

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

#19645227 - 03/03/14 04:08 PM (10 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

LunarEclipse said:
"IMO Behr and other big box store brands are crap."

Whoop de doo.  Home Depot carries about six brands.  Are they all crap?  Thankfully I at least use KILZ II from of course Home Depot, but instead of paying more for a 5 gallon container, you can actually pay less for a 2 gallon container and far easier to work with.  But you knew that.

Really though, who do you love?  Sherman Williams?  I like the Duration for outside.  Other than that, for interior the Behr Ultra Eggshell has been pretty bullet proof.  I like it better than the Premium Plus.

Do you actually do painting, pick colors, and such?  I mean semi-gloss is overkill in a kitchen.  Even satin is capable of being cleaned, and the eggshell is also.  Extra sheen doesn't guarantee anything other than too shiny of a surface...

Cynical and undeserved response.

Don't know you could recommend satin or eggshell in a kitchen. Simply doesn't have longevity. Suit yourself.

The company I worked for had an account with General Paint, and although not the best, the characteristics of it were decent and consistent. Most people i worked with considered Benjamin (sp) Moore to be the best to work with.

Anyways, suit yourself. Not sure the point of your response.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

#19649099 - 03/04/14 08:35 AM (10 years, 27 days ago)

Semi-gloss probably makes sense in a bathroom, but I just don't see it being a necessity in the kitchen.  In fact, semi-gloss is kind of a pain to paint over for the same reason it may be more cleanable.  Sheen.  Then if you have a big open space do you really want a line and a different sheen going into the kitchen? I mean sure you could paint it all semi-gloss but that gets to be a lot of glare.

I've had good luck with Behr over the years, as long as you get the premium plus or lately the Ultra.  Haven't used Benjamin Moore so maybe you are right I don't know.

--------------------

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

#19649706 - 03/04/14 11:42 AM (10 years, 27 days ago)

Well, in my first hand experience - I painted the place i currently live in, and we rearranged our color scheme last minute after we bought the paint, meaning we used semi gloss in the living room, and egg shell in the kitchen.

The semi gloss isn't a big deal with our lighting, and is very hard wearing - it actually works well in our space, and if i was to have a rental property I would likely paint all common areas in semi gloss for these very reasons.

The kitchen in eggshell was a nightmare to clean, and eventually wore off in very dirty areas (ie, around the stove, and sink.) I repainted in semi gloss and am MUCH happier.

I recently had an unrelated conversation with my step father who is very disappointed with the egg shell paint in his kitchen for these very reasons.

To each their own, like i said. Just something for OP to think about.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

#19650045 - 03/04/14 01:06 PM (10 years, 27 days ago)

I painted one house all semi-gloss inside and it looks like crap.  Really didn't clean up as expected in the kitchen, Sherwin Williams brand and pricey too.  Had to use two coats of primer and recoat with two coats.  The grease you'd think would clean up with semi-gloss clung to that stuff like a taco... 

But hey if semi-gloss works for you, so be it.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Ythan, Anno, Thor, Link, Seuss
1,635 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.022 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 14 queries.