Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisiblezZZz
jesus
I'm a teapot User Gallery

is our landlord abusing her power?..
    #19625863 - 02/27/14 11:59 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

she's coming over on friday to check up on the house. she does this a few times every year. she insist on entering our home and she goes into every room.. but i feel like this is an invasion of our privacy. she's is egoistic and she looks like sharon osbourne, but a little older. last month she knocked on our door and i answered, bitch was about to go in without even asking me but i quickly and politely got in her way without saying a word, and she backed off and looked a little surprised that she didn't get her way.

my question is, can she do this?..

i know nothing about landlording nor the shit they can and can't do. i know there are a few people here who know a lot more about this than i do, i hope you see this post and can help me out little. :hippie:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

Re: is our landlord abusing her power?.. [Re: zZZz]
    #19625871 - 02/27/14 12:00 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Not sure what the laws are wherever you are, but most likely it's legal for her to do it with 24 hours notice and illegal without. Where are you living?

--------------------
Disclaimer: If you have any kind of heart condition, my posts are not for you. You could literally die from reading the first couple of words in any one of them. Scroll down the page, live your life and prosper, but don't read my posts because your heart will probably explode. I am not joking.

OfflineUzziel
O_o

#19625873 - 02/27/14 12:01 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

She can come in anytime she wants to check in on the house/place but she is forced to give a 24 hour notice, if she violates that agreement you can easily break the lease and/or sue her for violating your tenant rights.
(assuming you live in the USA).

I'm not sure whether she needs a legitimate reason to actually come in though.

Invisiblelarry.fisherman
shoulda died already
I'm a teapot

#19625878 - 02/27/14 12:03 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Abusing it, yes, but as long as she gives you proper notice she can go anywhere she likes.

I don't see the point though.
IDK what it's like there, but if you're renting and the place
is fucked up they can't just kick you out.

I would affirm myself, and make sure she knows how little I
appreciate her nosy overbearing behaviour, and that while your
renting it, it is YOUR place that she owns, not HER place that
you stay in. Yes there is most definitely a difference.

InvisiblezZZz
jesus

Re: is our landlord abusing her power?.. [Re: Uzziel]
    #19625881 - 02/27/14 12:03 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

hmm, i live in california, she did give us more than 24 hour notice.

OfflineUzziel
O_o

#19625896 - 02/27/14 12:06 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

She is probably just paranoid about you fucking up the place or something. Does she bring a camera with her? She could be documenting the house walls and taking note of any new damages or something.

Beats the hell out of me man, but she can continue doing so as long as she gives a 24 hour notice.

InvisiblezZZz
jesus

#19625900 - 02/27/14 12:06 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

we are renting, and the place is pretty fucked up, mostly from within, bathroom walls fall apart, pipes leak and get clogged up, and other shit small shit like that. she is well covered but refuses to put in work in this house. :shrug:

Invisiblelarry.fisherman
shoulda died already
I'm a teapot

#19625915 - 02/27/14 12:09 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

zZZz said:
Quote:

we are renting, and the place is pretty fucked up, mostly from within, bathroom walls fall apart, pipes leak and get clogged up, and other shit small shit like that. she is well covered but refuses to put in work in this house. :shrug:

That sounds like an almost unlivable condition.
I would throw that word out a few times, and maybe she might back off.
You're on a lease and she's obligated to have that repaired.
Yet she is doing all that crap to you?

Set her straight or move, she sounds like an unctuous bitch.

InvisiblezZZz
jesus

#19625916 - 02/27/14 12:09 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

yea Uzziel, she brings a camera with her.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: is our landlord abusing her power?.. [Re: zZZz] * 1
    #19625917 - 02/27/14 12:09 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Landlords can do this, but I have rented lots of places and I have never had a landlord come in.  I suggest you find a cooler landlord, there are many out there.

OfflineUzziel
O_o

Re: is our landlord abusing her power?.. [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #19625925 - 02/27/14 12:10 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Landlords can do this, but I have rented lots of places and I have never had a landlord come in.  I suggest you find a cooler landlord, there are many out there.

Yeah while renting a house I've NEVER had them constantly do it. Just before and after.

Sounds like you really need a new place zZZZz

OfflineHerbologist
Grrratata
I'm a teapot

Loc: Casa Bonita Flag
Re: is our landlord abusing her power?.. [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #19625930 - 02/27/14 12:11 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Id be careful she doesnt pin all the previous damages on you and try to make YOU pay for it, since she is taking pictures and shit.

--------------------
Shroomery Law:  Don't piss off the leftist mods & their friends! :banhamster:

InvisibleLynnch
Strangerer
 User Gallery

#19625938 - 02/27/14 12:12 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Probably varies from state to state... But as far as I know, no, she can't just show up, barge in, and inspect the place. At the very least she has to give you some warning and set a date. Otherwise having a landlord would equal having no privacy whatsoever right?

I remember going through the same shit. I think she called to let us know she was dropping by, but we were just going to hide and not answer the door (:lol:) but my dumb ass of course had to go outside and smoke a cig, right when she showed up. I probably talked/argued with her for a good 20 minutes, making up every excuse I could not to let her in. Finally gave in and opened the door though, walked super slow and talked super loud, hoping my roommate had hidden everything (:lol:)  And that's how our showers finally got fixed. She was actually a cool lady even though we were scared shitless of her finding out what we were doing in her house. :lol:

You might want to flip the script on her and start pointing out and demanding she fix a bunch of things when she comes over...

InvisiblezZZz
jesus

#19625963 - 02/27/14 12:17 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

we are thinking of moving, but not anytime soon. i love this house, it's just all the small repairs that need fixing, which i assume is her responsibility to do. i will definitely mention all these things to her and hopefully she can send someone over to fix the pipes and shit. actually, she did send her son, who is far from legitimate btw and is around 50, to come and put in a new floor in the kitchen. he fucked up pretty bad, not horrible but not good either, anyway now there are some ceramic tiles that stick out a bit and we are always tripping on them :facepalm::lol:

Invisiblelarry.fisherman
shoulda died already
I'm a teapot

#19625977 - 02/27/14 12:21 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

zZZz said:
Quote:

we are thinking of moving, but not anytime soon. i love this house, it's just all the small repairs that need fixing, which i assume is her responsibility to do. i will definitely mention all these things to her and hopefully she can send someone over to fix the pipes and shit. actually, she did send her son, who is far from legitimate btw and is around 50, to come and put in a new floor in the kitchen. he fucked up pretty bad, not horrible but not good either, anyway now there are some ceramic tiles that stick out a bit and we are always tripping on them :facepalm::lol:

Sounds like a waste of money, even a properly laid floor will warp and crack after a while, if it's that bad it's going to be right fucked after a few years.

How does someone fuck up laying tile anyway..
Although at that age, bending over doing that was probably a hassle.

InvisibleJohnnieYen
Okay
I'm a teapot

Loc: City Z
    #19625985 - 02/27/14 12:24 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

make a list of things you want her to fix and get her to sign off on it. Document your conversations and issues.
She will probably stop coming around after a few visits.

--------------------
[center

OfflinePatlal
You ask too many questions
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
Re: is our landlord abusing her power?.. [Re: larry.fisherman]
    #19625987 - 02/27/14 12:24 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Not everybody is a respectful landlord like me.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #19625991 - 02/27/14 12:25 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

zZZz said:
she's coming over on friday to check up on the house. she does this a few times every year. she insist on entering our home and she goes into every room.. but i feel like this is an invasion of our privacy. she's is egoistic and she looks like sharon osbourne, but a little older. last month she knocked on our door and i answered, bitch was about to go in without even asking me but i quickly and politely got in her way without saying a word, and she backed off and looked a little surprised that she didn't get her way.

my question is, can she do this?..

i know nothing about landlording nor the shit they can and can't do. i know there are a few people here who know a lot more about this than i do, i hope you see this post and can help me out little. :hippie:

I'm a landlord.

First, she has to give 24 hours notice UNLESS it's an emergency such as no heat, broken pipes or windows. That isn't all but it gives you an idea. If she has provided sufficient written notice, you cannot deny her entry.

Second, a landlord is not free to look "everywhere/anywhere". For example, they cannot look into your drawers/storage bins/canisters. She can look into closets, basements, cabinets that are attached to the apartment/house. In other words... if it belongs to the building. She can look into locked rooms or closets. She can remove locks that are not originally part of the apartment or that you have changed.

Here is some advice I gave som time ago...

Quote:

I can inspect every nook, cranny and closet of an apartment. What I can't do is look in stuff (like furniture) that you personally own. I can't open your dresser drawers. I can't look inside any free standing cabinets that belong to you. I can't open your toolbox or cardboard boxes.

I can open built ins, such as kitchen or bathroom cabinets. I can look in your refrigerator (assuming I own it). I can go into the basement or attic. And yes, I can look into any closet I wish to.

Here's some advice from a generic landlords perspective. Do not be surprised, if after I notice a new lock has been added to a door, that you have peaked my curiosity. Don't hang drug posters or pictures around your rental unit. Don't leave your bong or bowl out where I can see it if the tenant in an adjacent apartment reports a water or gas leak. A landlord (or a landlords representative) can enter your apartment at any time, night or day, if a serious problem has been reported. Don't leave mirrors and razor blades out in sight. If I have given the required 24 hours notice, I will enter your apartment. I will remove any lock I find that limits my access to a room or closet. Always keep your shit and paraphernalia out of sight.

Your apartment, is not "yours". It is mine.

Now... as I like to consume illegal substances, I don't give a crap whether you party or not. I never enter an apartment without the proper notice, unless an emergency situation arises. I personally don't care about small pot or shroom grows (just don't overload my circuits). Don't even think about dealing from my building though. I am a business man. I don't need the cops pegging my building as a problem building.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/14288693#14288693

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisiblezZZz
jesus

Re: is our landlord abusing her power?.. [Re: larry.fisherman]
    #19625998 - 02/27/14 12:26 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

she sent him i guess to save money, she's far from poor, she probably just doesn't want to do too much shit until we move out. :shrug:

Invisiblelarry.fisherman
shoulda died already
I'm a teapot

Re: is our landlord abusing her power?.. [Re: Patlal]
    #19626001 - 02/27/14 12:27 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Patlal said:
Not everybody is a respectful landlord like me.

Did your roommate keel over and die yet?
Or is she fermenting as we speak?

She's already in a bathtub full of lye, isn't she.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds