Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
Contamination in karo jar
    #1957014 - 09/27/03 11:20 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I have a couple of jars of karo water that have been growing for a while. What would contamination look like as opposed to mycelium. I know the difference in a pf jar or a grain jar, but this is my first karo attempt.

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJack_Straw
ROC
 User Gallery
Re: Contamination in karo jar [Re: Enlil]
    #1957038 - 09/27/03 11:45 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Any off color, or any shapes other than the stringy mycelium..

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Contamination in karo jar [Re: Jack_Straw]
    #1957043 - 09/27/03 11:47 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Everything looks like white clouds. Not stringy really...more fluffy....except for one tiny speck of verm due to my negligence...

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

OfflineUrbanistiC
Hmm....
Male

Loc: Seattle, Wa.
    #1957045 - 09/27/03 11:49 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Do a search for Karo, select the Contaminatin Forum to search in. And make sure you set it to search All Posts.

--------------------
Keep it ReaL.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Contamination in karo jar [Re: UrbanistiC]
    #1957215 - 09/27/03 01:06 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

myctopia.net answered a lot of my questions about this subject. The shroomery doesn't have as many pictures and discussions about liquid tek contaminants.

Contaminants are pretty easy to spot. Bacterial contaminants will turn the water cloudy with minimal shaking. Yeast contamination causes the water to ferment and bubble. Other contaminants, usually have color and stain the top of the water.

Mycelia is white to yellow/white. If you don't stirr your jar for a couple of days, a membrane of mycelia should start forming on the bottom of the jar. When stirred, this membrane should tear and float in the water like wet tissue paper. While small, the mycelia does look like cotton, and sometimes you see some strings of myc but it looks much more like wet white tissue paper to the naked eye. In its early stages though, it looks like little cotton balls.

Over the next couple of days, The white cloud in your jar should turn into larger clumps of mycelia.

If you keep stirring the jar, mycelia will never form on the bottom, even though it is present in the water.

The only contaminant that looks like mycelia (That I have found online) is cobweb. It is characterized by black dots when in Karo water. Cobweb, from what I hear, is more likely to contaminate casings than Karo water.

Basically, if your jar is contaminated, you'd probably know it without even opening the thing to smell it. If you aren't sure the water is contaminated, smell around the open jar when you make a syringe.

Hope that helps.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Contamination in karo jar [Re: Rose]
    #1957229 - 09/27/03 01:12 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

It sounds like your jar is doing great.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1957236 - 09/27/03 01:18 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks...I just threw out a bunch of contaminated grain jars, and these karos were the first thing out of the syringes. I just didnt want to go through the same shit. I appreciate the help!

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

OfflineHigh_On_Magic
    #1957328 - 09/27/03 01:56 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

allright same subject, a friends got a couple of these jars and when you stir them, like theres some white shit that settles at the bottom, im like 100% its not myc, it like twirls off the bottom, my guess is its the karo in the water settling, cuz its not fluffy or strands. any one else got this in there jars? and if so it ok to use cuz he gots some with this shit, and some with out.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Contamination in karo jar [Re: High_On_Magic]
    #1957342 - 09/27/03 02:04 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

It sounds like mycelia to me. Karo is clear. If you had used honey, you might be seeing something else.

A white membrane at the bottom of the jar is what you should be looking for. If you use enough karo, this membrane will continue to grow into a more firmiliar looking object.

Most of the descriptions say it is made of fluffy strands but that can be a little misleading. I think it looks like tissue paper that tears and as you said, "Twirls off the bottom."

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineHigh_On_Magic
    #1957365 - 09/27/03 02:13 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

yeah but it twirls more like smoke, there crazy bits of myc, it doesnt really look like myc and it seems to kinda disapte, hmm i might jsut be paranoid ill have my friend just throw a few cc'c of some h202 to ease his mind

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Contamination in karo jar [Re: High_On_Magic]
    #1957392 - 09/27/03 02:22 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Let the stuff settle for a few days and it will start to clump together better. Until then, it stays pretty small. The Shroomery descriptions are a bit misleading.

At this point, H2O2 should be added when you make a syringe. This way you will kill any contams you put in the jar. Any contams already growing in the jar will not be effected by the h2o2. No sence in doing it until you have a reason to open the jar.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1957413 - 09/27/03 02:30 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.mycotopia.net/discus/index2.html

Here's a good contam link for karo/honey/dextrose water

Many of the links in this thread will, also, prove helpful.

Lots of honey water pictures at myctopia.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures