Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWerecat
Werecat

Loc: Portland, OR
Breeding cool weather cubes?
    #1954638 - 09/26/03 02:16 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I did a cursory search and didn't see anything. Forgive me if this is a question covered and I missed it! Newbie here.

Anyhow in theory and given time and patience one could create a strain of cubensis that fruits at cooler temperatures. It would be somewhat time consuming and since you'd have to go from spores each time (if I am remembering my genetics right).
At least as far as I can wrap my brain around the idea, it seems feaseable to get a cube strain that will routinely fruit outside in the average pacific NW summer. Would be a shame for such a strain to get away in some place like Tillamook...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecomario2
amateur

Loc: between places
Re: Breeding cool weather cubes? [Re: Werecat]
    #1954662 - 09/26/03 02:24 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

very theorethically, at the minimum - where you are, simply do outdoor woodlovers, i wouldn't complain

--------------------
comario

"crusaders against emotional poverty"

OfflineDatrutankdogg69
Cyan Man
 User Gallery
Loc: Pacific NW, Or.
Re: Breeding cool weather cubes? [Re: comario2]
    #1955249 - 09/26/03 05:16 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Me neither

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Breeding cool weather cubes? [Re: Datrutankdogg69]
    #1958172 - 09/27/03 08:02 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

They will fruit just fine outdoors in Tillamook. I've seen cubies fruiting outdoors all summer in the Puget Sound area too. They were started on grain indoors, then moved to compost heaps outdoors in late spring. They fruited from July to October, with just an occasional watering. Whether they will come back from spores the next year remains to be seen.

But. . .Tillamook is one of the hottest Azurescens picking zones I've ever seen! They're down by the beaches in the dune grass, starting next month, if the rains come.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblewinelover
crimson jedi
 User Gallery
Re: Breeding cool weather cubes? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #1958461 - 09/27/03 10:18 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

the tasmainian is  cool climate cubie it friuts & grows in much cooler climates, its the one found in the south of tassie around Hobart if your going to make a hybryd this is the baby :mushroom2:

Invisiblewinelover
crimson jedi
 User Gallery
Re: Breeding cool weather cubes? [Re: winelover]
    #1958472 - 09/27/03 10:24 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

ps it can handle cold winters

OfflineGratefulDread
Never pass up anopportunity topee.

Re: Breeding cool weather cubes? [Re: winelover]
    #1960775 - 09/28/03 07:24 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I've "seen" an outdoor grow of B+ cubensis here in New Brunswick. It was started late but so far it has flushed twice in our cool climate. The person who started it (Who I know only through friends who blindfolded me to take me to show it so I can't help anyone find the grow) has let every shroom open completely so they drop spores all over the place so hopefully it'll come back next year. The mushrooms are growing short and fat with a seemingly higher potency than the indoor ones from the same strain.

All he did was add 4 almost spent cakes to a pile of composted horse manure and straw about 3foot by 3 foot and about 6 inches deep .He didn't think it was going to work so he didn't pasteurize or water the pile he just let it grow. The cakes were thrown in in late July and the first of Sept he had his first flush of 148 dry grams. The second flush is looking to be a bit larger so hopefully he gets more and a 3rd flush before it snows or the cold stops the growth.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

OfflineWerecat
Werecat

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: Breeding cool weather cubes? [Re: GratefulDread]
    #1962451 - 09/29/03 10:29 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

My curiosity was more toward getting cubies naturalized so that they are "wild" in the norther areas of the country - such as the Pac NW for example and will grow and fruit naturally as they do on the SW coast. Lord knows cow pies are quite plentiful in some areas, and you would theoretically have magic in the summer instead of having to wait 'till Oct for the Azeure's and Cyan's.
That you can innoculate compost piles outdoors and get fruitings is interesting. If enough of this happens I would not be a bit surprised that a cooler weather liking strain may develop all by itself.
Waiting for the rain in the NW still. It decided to go back to being summer again - upper 80's and 90's! C'MON RAIN!

Offlinetastyshroom
Mr.Shroom
Male

Loc: Washington
Re: Breeding cool weather cubes? [Re: Werecat]
    #1963990 - 09/29/03 08:03 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I was thinkin about this..so ive been throwing out cakes n such in a mulch bed. Its been hot latley and ive been watering it..temps are dropping really quick though..we'll see what happens.

--------------------
Perspective on life always changes

Offlinedcx
Mic of theRoundTable
Re: Breeding cool weather cubes? [Re: tastyshroom]
    #1966386 - 09/30/03 02:34 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

i was wondering if there is a strain of cubensis that can survive under slightly lower humidity levels. itd be fun to go feed that to some cows here in az and see how it works :wink:

OfflineSJR
Re: Breeding cool weather cubes? [Re: dcx]
    #1972578 - 10/02/03 11:17 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Az has alot less that 'lower humidity levels' depending on you location.

--------------------
Jihad Is a Joke

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate