Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKingCloyster
Forest Mushroom 🍄
Male User Gallery

Loc: Quetico, Canada
Enoki Grow---Jars in a SGFC (PICS) * 1
    #19521893 - 02/04/14 07:04 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Very few people have Enoki grows on here with decent pictures so I thought I'd do the community a favor, and share my method. 

I started with an LC syringe from The Mushroom Depot. Then I inoculated three quart jars of sterilized WBS via Still Air Box using roughly 1cc per jar. I might add that I bent the tip of the needle trying to get it through the polyfill holes in the grain jars, and it made for a very unswift inoculation.  The enoki mycelium looked super powdery and I was convinced I had a yeast contam. 

Ive only had one grain jar ever contam from using syringe, and I'm happy to say it stayed that way. The jars ended up fully colonizing and appeared/smelled yeast free. 

Next, I pasteurized 14 quart jars of fuel pellets, mixed with gypsum and soaked cherry woodchips. I added the chips for the hell of it.  Also I didn't fill the jars all the way up. I left room to shake and add grain, they were maybe 5/6 full.  I did run into a weird issue with 4 of the substrate jars.  This weird black shit was excreted. But it happened during pastuerization, not after, so I'm not too worried about it, except for maybe one bad one.  The other 10 jars were black free. I did try to shake them but the black was pretty stuck to the glass.

Once the substrate jars were cool, I broke up two of the grain jars and put the third jar in the fridge to save for g2g.  I spawned the substrate jars using a 1:6 ratio for one spawn jar and a 1:8 ratio for the other spawn jar.
  They showed signs of growth in a couple days and took two weeks to colonize. Some didn't get mixed up well enough and are taking a bit longer to finish.

The jars that have colonized have been put in a stock pot (contam protection) inside my fridge for their cold shock. Although I manged to sneeze right on them before I put the lid on :P. I will take it out every couple days open the lid and allow some fresh air inside.

I was out and about today and decided to stop at the local oriental store, called Saigon Market, to see what they had. I hadn't been their since I was a kid. I get to the checkout with my DELICIOUS kecap manis sweet soy sauce, and the nice Asian man asks if I need anything else, so I asked about mushrooms. He thinks for a second and responds, "I think there are some in the back cooler room." He points to the back of the store, in the employee section, and I go check it out [feeling special that I was granted access in the employee section :wink:] Low and behold, I see two little packages of enokis for 85 cents.  And here I was, thinking I needed to grow my own because no one in my town had them. It's coincidences like that keep my life interesting and make me smile.  Still gonna grow my own :thumbup: :bow2:

***I WILL EDIT THIS POST ONCE I BEGIN TO EITHER SEE PINS. AFTER A WEEK BEING COLD SHOCKED, I WILL FRUIT THEM TO THE SGFC ANYWAYS, PINS OR NO PINS..

--------------------
:sporedrop::sporedrop::mushdance::mushdance::sporedrop::sporedrop:

Edited by KingCloyster (02/05/14 01:33 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Enoki Grow---Jars in a SGFC (PICS) [Re: KingCloyster]
    #19523280 - 02/04/14 11:40 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

:popcorn:

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

OfflineRandomFX
protege
Male User Gallery

Loc: North-East, USA Flag
Re: Enoki Grow---Jars in a SGFC (PICS) [Re: Forrester]
    #19523669 - 02/05/14 03:23 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

:thumbup:

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Loc: sub-surface unseen
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Enoki Grow---Jars in a SGFC (PICS) [Re: RandomFX]
    #19523981 - 02/05/14 07:23 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

:hi:

funny story about the grocery store.  life has a weird way of unfolding.

also weird black stuff...i wonder what it is?

--------------------
A few thoughts on cultivation
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Enoki Grow---Jars in a SGFC (PICS) [Re: blindingleaf]
    #19524130 - 02/05/14 08:22 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I'll watch this one too. :hi:

OfflineKingCloyster
Forest Mushroom 🍄
Male User Gallery

#19525455 - 02/05/14 01:28 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

blindingleaf said:
:hi:

funny story about the grocery store.  life has a weird way of unfolding.

also weird black stuff...i wonder what it is?

Maybe the poopy pellets I bought from lowes for 3 dollars? 40 pounds of pellets for 3 dollars, now thats some inexpensive substrate.  Either that, or the cherry woodchips, there was a few dead looking pieces that I didn't think about removing for some reason. Oh well, onward!  :facepalm3:

--------------------

OfflineKingCloyster
Forest Mushroom 🍄
Male User Gallery

#19531398 - 02/06/14 04:06 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

So guys, opened up the stockpot today to give the cold shocking jars some fresh air and I noticed a weird smell. It's not like a mushroom but it doesnt smell super rotten like bacteria. I can't put my finger on what it is, but its not a great smell. Kinda like feet.  But im thinking it could be caused by a few factors. The moisture soaking the tyvek filter and seeping out which I noticed was happening, the white filter is beginning to turn a darker shade of gray brown....enoki mycelium doesn't smell the greatest IMO and niether did the fuel pellets so maybe its a mixture of that as well. Also I didn't let all the jars consolidate for a week before cold shocking. It could be that the center of the jars weren't fully colonized and I cold shocked too earlier, and the remaining sawdust is begining to contam in a couple jars. Although I doubt that happened.  Would it be wise to stick them back in the incubation room and re-cold shock them in a week.  Let me know what u guys think, I'd hate to lose half of my jars.

--------------------

Edited by KingCloyster (02/06/14 06:31 PM)

OfflineKingCloyster
Forest Mushroom 🍄
Male User Gallery

#19531616 - 02/06/14 04:43 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Problem found.  If you look at the second to last photo I posted, the one with the open stock pot, you'll see a jar with a browinish colored filter.  It didn't use to be like that, so I opened it up in a SAB and what I saw was something like this:
<<<< this is the jar that is in worse shape and smelled the worse.
Unfortunately, a lot of the sawdust had clung itself to the inside of the lid and the mouth of the jar where I couldn't see it when I shook them to distribute the grains...  Fuckin bummer. But I'm glad I found the problem.  Just sucks that it was this far into the process and I hope its not too late.

I went ahead and carefully opened each jar in my SAB, wiped the sawdust out with an gloved, alcoholed finger and replaced each lid with a fresh one.

PS.I took the jars out of cold shock and back into the incubation room to help consolidate more, build strength and colonize the sawdust I missed... because I think that needs to happen. They need to consolidate more and thicken up.

--------------------

Edited by KingCloyster (02/06/14 06:37 PM)

OfflineKingCloyster
Forest Mushroom 🍄
Male User Gallery

#19544432 - 02/09/14 03:42 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the help guys.... :luvdemshrooms:

Anyways, the 8 jars I took out of cold shock to colonize more are going back in the fridge for a second cold shock. Problem free this time, I'm hoping. :facepalm:

The remaining 6 I'm leaving the incubation room because they aren't all done colonizing and I'd like to experiment with those six and give them different lighting conditions without having to build a second SGFC.  So they will be a week or two behind those first eight.

--------------------

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #19544442 - 02/09/14 03:44 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

cloyster!!!  my quart of enoki is about done....any ideas?  i was thinking jars of sawdust, then top spawn them, then top fruit them.  but....i also have limited number of jars.  i will do it if other methods are troublesome, cause i can go get more jars, but looking for ideas.

--------------------
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

OfflineKingCloyster
Forest Mushroom 🍄
Male User Gallery

#19544989 - 02/09/14 06:13 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Good to see your still watching my thread. I probably lost a few followers with the delay : (...I guess it depends how much enoki you want.  You could g2g it, but it sounds like your just wanting to use a single jars worth of spawn.  My 1:6 ratio worked a lot better than the 1:8 did. I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose a couple jars from the 1:8 batch.  I'm not sure what top spawning is tho, do u just let the spawn sit on top of the sawdust? Cuz I put the lids on mine after spawning and then tumbled them until I felt it was evenly mixed. Your jars will be pretty damn full though so it might take so time and strategy to get it spread evenly. If u do that method, your gonna want to take a clean finger and wipe the mouths of the jars off or push(not pack) the sawdust back down into the jar.  Because a lot of sawdust will cling to the mouth and lid as you can see from my picture^^^.  Use a normal lid to shake it. After u get the mouth wiped down, replace the normal, sealed lid, with a filtered one.

I did this all in an SAB too.

--------------------

OfflineRandomFX
protege
Male User Gallery

#19545167 - 02/09/14 07:00 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I think he means top fruit it. IE allow it to fruit out of the top of the jars. same as I'll be doing with my kings. I will be using a sterile stainless tube and pushing it to about 3" to the bottom of the jar and filling it with WBS spawn myself to inoculate. It seems to me like it would be a a more even inoculation, and guarantee the middle gets inoculated fully.

OfflineKingCloyster
Forest Mushroom 🍄
Male User Gallery

#19545246 - 02/09/14 07:19 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Never heard of that method. I'm not sure if I understand how it works. My method worked just fine tho. The jars colonized in a couple weeks. Seems pretty reasonable for non supplemented sawdust. All I added was gypsum and cherry wood for second flush purposes.

OfflineRandomFX
protege
Male User Gallery

#19546264 - 02/10/14 12:32 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I've seen plenty of pictures from people who have fruited enoki out of the tops of jars, and have seen a few mention using the rod to create a hole inside the substrate in a jar to inoculate it. haven't seen this done ina bag, just jars and containers. My concerns are it adds another element of possible contamination though. I have decided that I will only do this new method with 4 of the jars. The other 12 I'll do by standard practices of just adding spawn and closing it up ASAP with as little disturbance as possible. we will see what we see. it'll be about a week before I am at the king substrate stage, I think.

Offlinechefinainteasy
Chef
Male User Gallery

#19546830 - 02/10/14 07:26 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

You make the hole in the substrate in the jar before you sterilize. That way the hole is ready once your jars cool and there is no need to add another vector of contamination with poking a hole after the fact.

--------------------
Check out my youtube videos. the Mushrooms Naturally series by chefinainteasy

My new business is now on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MushroomsNaturally?ref=hl

MY Garden:grin:

OfflineKingCloyster
Forest Mushroom 🍄
Male User Gallery

Re: Enoki Grow---Jars in a SGFC (PICS) [Re: chefinainteasy]
    #19547239 - 02/10/14 10:04 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I found the shaking method pretty simple. I'm top fruiting all my jars as well

--------------------

OfflineRandomFX
protege
Male User Gallery

#19547836 - 02/10/14 01:21 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks chefin. guess I will see what I see, but I'll try that for sure.

Offlinemushroombelly
Mushroom Belly Grower
Male

#19550191 - 02/10/14 09:38 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Keep growing your own KingCloyster. If you run into contams cover your jars with foil when sterilizing. Polyfill easily gets damp and if your looking into another GE filter you can use synthetic filter discs or EZ felt (so cheap)

OfflineKingCloyster
Forest Mushroom 🍄
Male User Gallery

Re: Enoki Grow---Jars in a SGFC (PICS) [Re: mushroombelly]
    #19550511 - 02/10/14 10:50 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the words of wisdom mushroombelly

--------------------

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #19553552 - 02/11/14 05:37 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

cloyster, i just did up a bag of pasteurized pellets for the quart of enoki, just FYI.  don't have enough jars to do them in there, gotta save them for grains.  but thought anyone would find this....just plain weird.  i reached u tube for "enoki grow"  and look  what one of the results was...(only 3 minutes, but seriously, WTF is this?)

watch the whole thing to get why it is weird

--------------------
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck