Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Anonymous

interstellar mushroom spores
    #1944880 - 09/23/03 03:05 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

is this fuckin' crazy or does it sound like something that could actually happen?

more here...

"What the mushroom says about itself is this: that it is an extraterrestrial organism, that spores can survive the conditions of interstellar space. They are deep, deep purple -- the color that they would have to be to absorb the deep ultraviolet end of the spectrum. The casing of a spore is one of the hardest organic substances known. The electron density approaches that of a metal.

Is it possible that these mushrooms never evolved on earth? That is what the Stropharia cubensis itself suggests. Global currents may form on the outside of the spore. The spores are very light and by Brownian motion are capable of percolation to the edge if the planet's atmosphere. Then, through interaction with energetic particles, some small number could actually escape into space. Understand that this is an evolutionary strategy where only one in many billions of spores actually makes the transition between the stars -- a biological strategy for radiating throughout the galaxy without a technology. Of course this happens over very long periods of time. But if you think that the galaxy is roughly 100,000 light-years from edge to edge, if something were moving only one one-hundredth the speed of light -- now that's not a tremendous speed that presents problems to any advanced technology -- it could cross the galaxy in one hundred million years. There's life on this planet 1.8 billion years old; that's eighteen times longer than one hundred million years. So, looking at the galaxy on those time scales, one sees that the percolation of spores between the stars is a perfectly viable strategy for biology. It might take millions of years, but it's the same principle by which plants migrate into a desert or across an ocean.

I don't necessarily believe what the mushroom tells me; rather we have a dialogue. It is a very strange person and has many bizarre opinions. I entertain it the way I would any eccentric friend. I say, "Well, so that's what you think." When the mushroom began saying it was an extraterrestrial, I felt that I was placed in the dilemma of a child who wishes to destroy a radio to see if there are little people inside. I couldn't figure out whether the mushroom is the alien or the mushroom is some kind of technological artifact allowing me to hear the alien when the alien is actually light-years aways, using some kind of Bell nonlocality principle to communicate.

The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" "

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
Re: interstellar mushroom spores [Re: ]
    #1945910 - 09/23/03 08:06 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Terrence McKenna spoke a little about this theory in a High Times interview from 1992.

HT: From your writings I have gleaned that you subscribe to the notion that psilocybin mushrooms are a species of high intelligence -- that they arrived on this planet as spores that migrated through outer space, and are attempting to establish a symbiotic relationship with human beings. In a more holistic perspective, how do you see this notion fitting into the context of Francis Crick's theory of directed panspermia, the hypothesis that all life on this planet and its directed evolution has been seeded, or perhaps fertilized, by spores designed by a higher intelligence?

TM: As I understand the Crick theory of panspermia, it's a theory of how life spread through the universe. What I was suggesting -- and I don't believe it as strongly as you imply -- is that intelligence, not life, but intelligence may have come here in this spore-bearing life form. This is a more radical version of the panspermia theory of Crick and Ponampurama. In fact I think that theory will probably be vindicated. I think in a hundred years if people do biology they will think it quite silly that people once thought that spores could not be blown from one star system to another by cosmic radiation pressure. As far as the role of the psilocybin mushroom, or its relationship to us and to intelligence, this is something that we need to consider. It really isn't important that I claim that it's an extraterrestrial, what we need is a body of people claiming this, or a body of people denying it, because what we're talking about is the experience of the mushroom. Few people are in a position to judge its extraterrestrial potential, because few people in the orthodox sciences have ever experienced the full spectrum of psychedelic effects that are unleashed. One cannot find out whether or not there's an extraterrestrial intelligence inside the mushroom unless one is willing to take the mushroom.

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: interstellar mushroom spores [Re: Xochitl]
    #1947246 - 09/24/03 08:09 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

My devils advocate:

Lets assume that the spores can become spaceborn on their own and spread out from a seed planet to other planets. Given the distance between any two planets, what is the likelyhood that a spore will make it from one planet to another. First the spore has to get out of the planets orbit. Next it has to make it out of its own solar system and travel through vast space. Finally, it has to get captured by another planet and brought down to the ground to grow.

1) why do the spores 'sink' on one planet, but 'rise' on another?

2) it takes at least two spores to create new spores.

3) what are the chances that two spores falling from space will land close enough to each other to mate?

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineHidingInPlainSight
Male User Gallery
Loc: Oklahoma City , OK, USA
Re: interstellar mushroom spores [Re: ]
    #1947289 - 09/24/03 08:38 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

It's far out there, but has some sense to it.

Invisiblelongshot
title of what?

Loc: Farther North than you
Re: interstellar mushroom spores [Re: Seuss]
    #1948451 - 09/24/03 03:34 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

There are things that happen everday on our planet that are so mathematically improbable. Add interstellarality into the mix and almost anything could happen.

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
Re: interstellar mushroom spores [Re: longshot]
    #1948675 - 09/24/03 04:31 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

InvisibleGCDestruction
one time mindfor your
Re: interstellar mushroom spores [Re: Xochitl]
    #1951151 - 09/25/03 01:13 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

it makes pretty good sense to me. its a cool idea anyway.

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

Re: interstellar mushroom spores [Re: GCDestruction]
    #1951260 - 09/25/03 01:57 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Right the point behind the idea is that given billions and billions of spores and billions and billions of years...What if a planet that was covered in spores (like this planet is coverd in bacteria) blew up trillions of years ago? like a galactic puffball mushroom!:)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom