Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
cacti MIX??????
    #1942148 - 09/22/03 07:17 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Well I finally got some pedros, and the peyote is right behind them

So I also got some aquatic plant soil at the store and some crushed oyster shell, am I on the right track???

I know that some manure and top soil would also be great but I cant find soil without peat moss!!!!(potting soil) and I havent even seen top soil!

I am on my way to score some shit right now though

thanks

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebuddhathehut
readingrainbows.......

Loc: North Carolina
Re: cacti MIX?????? [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #1942227 - 09/22/03 07:39 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I don't think aquatic plant soil is what you want. If you go to any of the home improvement stores you will find that they are getting rid of the last inventory for the summer season and you can find some soil marked "cactus mix" in ridiculously small bags- but it is really good stuff for almost any cactus. If you want to get really cheap you can mix some potting soil with platbox sand 50/50 and achieve a decent mix if ytou use a fertilizer for cacti.

--------------------
"If you do not want to go within, do you want to go out? But where will you go, since He ie everywhere in this universe, and surrounding this universe?" - Shrii Shrii Anandamurti

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: cacti MIX?????? [Re: buddhathehut]
    #1942471 - 09/22/03 08:55 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Well over at nans nook ION(the cactus master IMO) was saying good things about aquatic plant soil(its all rock!!!)

also most cactus soils have mainly peat moss which is bad , because it can encourage rot!

and the bags I found were "fluffy" but they didnt say what were inside

Anyway I got some Sand and clay pots, still no limestone or manure or topsoil

DAMMIT!

but I am getting manure tomorrow, I just hope I can find limestone and topsoil(with NO peat!)

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: cacti MIX?????? [Re: buddhathehut]
    #1942480 - 09/22/03 08:56 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I also have perlite and aquatic plant soil

--------------------

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #1942615 - 09/22/03 09:32 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

i make my own cactus mix... but there's two brands schultz and something else.. and i've found one of them to vary in consistency very much... but anyways

my own cactus soil is done by mixing 60%sand 40% potting soil... i use it for all cactii that i'm growing from seed.

Other potted cacti i do in a mix of 40%sand 40%soil and 20% small stones/verm/perlite. Then i fill it to the appropriate height with the soil mix and then top it off with some pebbles on top.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: cacti MIX?????? [Re: neuro]
    #1942802 - 09/22/03 10:24 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

well over at NANSNOOK they are saying that OYSTER shell (that I got) and Potting soil is bad(the potting soil, and most cactus soils , have TO MUCH PEAT MOSS)

what do you think???????

and even if potting soil with peat moss isnt perfect couldnt I just use your mix of 
60%sand 40% potting soil

for now until the mix I want (and hear such good things about) can be made(2-3 days)
Limestone(3\8" MINUS grade )
Top SOIL (no PEAT MOSS)
MANURE (cow shit....from a cows ass, after food has been turned into waste :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #1943330 - 09/23/03 01:35 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Mix 1 part potting mix (without organic ferts) to 1 part coarse sand to 1 part fine gravel. That's the basic cacti mix sold in the bags at garden centers and you can make it a lot cheaper. The rule is, it has to drain fast.

You can use crushed granite gravel, the same stuff used in road works or pea gravel, used in ag drainage site work or even ornamental gravel used in aquariums, that nice white stuff, usually river worn quartz.

The sand, it has to be coarse, not brickie sand as that's too fine and will pack down and kill the air filled porosity seeing in poor drainage. So get coarse sand, it's found in landscape yards and it's called paving sand. Don't confuse it with plasters sand, that's the finest sand there is and that's used to sweep in over pavers to lock them in after they're laid...so don't get hoodwinked by some smart arse in the yard.

Fert only with osmocote, as organic ferts have a habit of rotting cacti roots. Do not use manure. Just sprinkle some osmocote on the top of the pot according to the directions, that's 1/4 veg/ornamental rate if that's the only sort you can get. When you water, it will dissolve in salts in a slow supply. You won't over-fert them.

Broken pieces of bricks/tiles or use stones in the base for drainage in a terracotta pot (as they're porous, unlike plastic so they dry the media out) and plant up with leather gloves on esp. if it's P.peruvianus or P.bridgesii. Some people use foam rubber to hold the cacti and then plant, that way spines don't get broken off and ruin the display.

Keep terracotta pots off the ground level with some bricks/pavers so they don't sit in a puddle. Best to site cacti where water does not puddle to them i.e. on paving or concrete in pots. Such places are hot in microclimate too. Just what you want.

Water only when media dries out and not at all in winter. Simple. :smile: 

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#1943702 - 09/23/03 08:25 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

When trying to germinate cactus seeds the mix i pointed out is all you'll need. I try to get river sand i believe, play sand or any of that fine shit is no good as starter mentioned.

All that other crap you've read off of nan's nook isn't good now, and some not ever. I'd never use peat moss or cow manure. Perhaps some blood or bone meal in the mix, but only very very little again only in a potted established cactus.

I use no ferts what so ever in that not even osmocote, i hate that crap, i prefer to be in constant control of fertilizer additions. Normally i add fertilizers very diluted every time i water. But not to seedlings this only applies to established ready to pot cacti.

So in review: greminating seeds? 60/40 sand/soil. Follow this guide, it's easy for someone whose never done it before.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#1950051 - 09/24/03 11:42 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I am planting rooted cuttings

not germinating seeds

and how can you be sure the stuff at nans is bull

the soil SOUNDS perfect, I just cant find it all yet

"So here we are. This is where we explain what the deal is with Nan?s soil mixture, and discuss a few recent developments. Whodathunk there?d be so much controversy over dirt?..................

The Mix

Nan's Soil ? :

1 part topsoil
1 part compost (derived from manure or not)
1 part crushed limestone (minus grade, see figs. 2 and 3)
1 cup of pelletized dolomitic limestone per gallon of mixed soil

Optional Ingredients
These are not part of the original formula! They are things I?ve realized that some preparations are lacking, because in various parts of the world our ?compost?, ?topsoil?, and ?limestone gravel? are often very different from what Nan originally used.

Sand: For seeding mix or low-sand topsoils with high clay content:
1/10th part desert sand (not beach sand) per 1 part of topsoil in the mix
- Check your topsoil for clay... sticky balls that squish rather than break up, often orange or grey on the inside, coated with black dirt. If there is a great deal of this clay, then mix in some sand and break up the clay balls as much as you can.

Aerator: For any Nan?s Soil ? mix:
1 part aerator material (this should be pumice or kiln fired clay)
-Just mix this in with the soil as normal."

--------------------

InvisibleUna
controlleddemolition

#1950329 - 09/25/03 03:01 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

no peat moss use coco coir :laugh:

--------------------
www.911blogger.com

InvisibleUna
controlleddemolition

#1950387 - 09/25/03 04:07 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I throw together some coco coir, some pebbles, some vermiculite and some sand (ratio 50%,20%,15%,15% roughly)

For Lophophora i add some Marl (coral derived calcium carbonate).

I always top of the pot with a layer (1-2 cm) of grit. This prevents ugly spots from watering on the bottom part of the cactus and looks good.

ormally i water from the bottom to prevent this

--------------------
www.911blogger.com

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#1951245 - 09/25/03 01:49 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I donno why but i assumed you had seeds...

Quote:

Nan's Soil ? :

1 part topsoil
1 part compost (derived from manure or not)
1 part crushed limestone (minus grade, see figs. 2 and 3)
1 cup of pelletized dolomitic limestone per gallon of mixed soil

I don't like the compost or manure.. partly cause of preference and also making sure it's sterile/pasturized, in addition it can lead to rot as it would hold too much water increasing the time between waterings and make the plant susceptible to disease.

I make my soil mixtured like a Beglian chef. Dash of this dash of that no real exact amounts.

Soil
Sand
Aerator
Blood Meal (just a bit)

If you follow a simple rule of thumb when doing anything you're almost guaranteed to have success: mimick nature. If you do that i gaurantee success. Now i agree there are ways to get stuff better than what nature alone can produce (like crazy ass shit people are doing with weed and such) but you're always going ot have success if you try to mimick nature. KISS: keep it simple stupid (and then build from there)...

as for the manure/compost that's a big no no in my book for cacti/succs

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
    #1953528 - 09/26/03 05:44 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Since we're on soil mixes, I'll post my favorite:

topsoil,
peat moss,
compost,
volcanic rock,
sand.

This yields a very light soil which nonetheless holds water, and has less clay and other hard soils so roots develop faster.

--------------------
...or something

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck