Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebluegill
intergalactic toejam
 User Gallery

FC - Computer Case Fan/Timer question
    #19329425 - 12/26/13 03:59 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

I'm sorta into hobby electronics... well, I mostly hoard desoldered parts from broken electronics, but I do know the basics and I play around with breadboards occasionally.

I've got a couple BRF cakes that are reaching full colonization - first time grower. Looking to birth them in the next week or two, so I have been thinking about how to set up my FC. I wanna stick to something basic, but was thinking about adding a computer case fan because I can't be around to fan consistently throughout the day. I was wondering how other people did this and what kind of timers they hooked their fans up to. Thanks.

I really wasn't sure what kind of timer would work with a computer case fan!

--------------------
"Psychedelics are like carnival tickets, you buy the ticket and take the ride, then you get off and go home. What your talking about is physical death. That's when you're pulled into the carnival against your will and your stuck there for eternity."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: FC - Computer Case Fan/Timer question [Re: bluegill]
    #19329435 - 12/26/13 04:01 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Just make a SGFC and mist and fan as often as you can. Twice a day would be enough. Automation really just doesn't work very well with tubs. Save the electronics for a greenhouse.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

Offlinebluegill
intergalactic toejam
 User Gallery

Re: FC - Computer Case Fan/Timer question [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #19329558 - 12/26/13 04:31 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Are you really sure twice per day would be enough? Most days I could do three times, but I have a couple days a week that I have a 12 hr shift.

According to what I've read, 4-5 times per day fanning is ideal.

--------------------
"Psychedelics are like carnival tickets, you buy the ticket and take the ride, then you get off and go home. What your talking about is physical death. That's when you're pulled into the carnival against your will and your stuck there for eternity."

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #19329568 - 12/26/13 04:33 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

no he is 100% right, the reason rr designed the sgfc is becasuse he worked 12 hours a day and only misted in the morning and at night:thumbup:

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Offlinebluegill
intergalactic toejam
 User Gallery

Re: FC - Computer Case Fan/Timer question [Re: cronicr]
    #19329577 - 12/26/13 04:36 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Good to know he was in a similar predicament when he found the ideal setup. Thanks for the reassurance.

--------------------

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Trusted Cultivator
    #19330067 - 12/26/13 06:41 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

RR did not invent the SGFC.

Twice a day won't be ideal, but it'll get you by.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

OfflineCMOS
Whats next?

#19330071 - 12/26/13 06:42 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Its really not going to be worth the effort using timers for fanning your SGFC, but if your interested in electronics its a way to experiment and learn some on the way.  (I did a couple automated timer projects when I was starting out)

You could use a 555 timers to turn on a 5v fan, but 555s are kinda of hard to get long time intervols with (over 30min) so the circuit would end up getting kinda convoluted and inaccurate. Its possible though, I had one with two 555s, a 4017 binary counting chip, and a relay.  If you wanted to go this route, look online for camera intervolmeter circuits with 555 chips.

The easiest way to go would to just get a cheap 8-pin microcontroller with a timer built into it, and have it activate a relay for the 5v fan.  (something like the PIC12F, or even an arduinio or similer.)

Still, not worth the work, but its a great learning experience. Lot of info on the 555 timer here... LINK

--------------------
-------------------------------------------------

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: FC - Computer Case Fan/Timer question [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #19330081 - 12/26/13 06:46 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

36fuckin5 said:
RR did not invent the SGFC.

Twice a day won't be ideal, but it'll get you by.

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
[
A quick search will reveal that when I designed the shotgun terrarium I was working 12 hour shifts, an hour drive from home.  This resulted in being gone 14 hours per day, with no way to perform fanning or misting. 

A double outlet 100 gallon aquarium pump in a shotgun terrarium will result in about ten percent of the air exchange you would get naturally, plus destroy the flow of air up through the perlite, causing all sorts of problems.

Hollow stems and poor potency are not FAE or humidity related, so instead of fixing what isn't broken, lower the temp to prevent hollow stems and isolate proper genetics to get the potency you desire.  You will never get consistent potency when growing from spores.  Every grow is like a roll of the dice.
RR

i thought he did:shrug:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/15314427#15314427

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Offlinebluegill
intergalactic toejam
 User Gallery

Re: FC - Computer Case Fan/Timer question [Re: CMOS]
    #19332778 - 12/27/13 12:15 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

CMOS said:
Its really not going to be worth the effort using timers for fanning your SGFC, but if your interested in electronics its a way to experiment and learn some on the way.  (I did a couple automated timer projects when I was starting out)

You could use a 555 timers to turn on a 5v fan, but 555s are kinda of hard to get long time intervols with (over 30min) so the circuit would end up getting kinda convoluted and inaccurate. Its possible though, I had one with two 555s, a 4017 binary counting chip, and a relay.  If you wanted to go this route, look online for camera intervolmeter circuits with 555 chips.

The easiest way to go would to just get a cheap 8-pin microcontroller with a timer built into it, and have it activate a relay for the 5v fan.  (something like the PIC12F, or even an arduinio or similer.)

Still, not worth the work, but its a great learning experience. Lot of info on the 555 timer here... LINK

Thank you CMOS - this is exactly the answer I was seeking. I do have a couple of 555 timers lying around. Never really used them for anything other than blinking LEDs, though.

--------------------

OfflineCMOS
Whats next?

#19333987 - 12/27/13 06:26 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

So yeah you could do it with 555s and it would be similar to doing the blinking LED thing. 

The problem with 555s is they don't do timing well over 30min or so.  You would need a huge cap and resistor to charge (and discharge) to get large timings, and its going to be pretty inaccurate over large amounts of time(because of tolerances, leakage current, temp etc)

So lets say you want to turn on a 5V fan every 4hrs for 10 mins.  (all these timings I'm just making up for reference, would have to experiment to see with what works best for you)

So if I was going to do it, I would probably start with your first 555 timer and set it up to oscillate (Astable Mode) say every 30min.  (or whatever you would have to play with values, here is a ASTABLE CALCULATOR

So now every 30min, you will go from LOW to HIGH on the OUTPUT of the 555 timer. (pin #3)  Hook an LED up to it and it will blink on/off every 30min.

But we are shooting for 4 hours, and the 555 can't reliably operate for that long.  So lets add a way for it to count on another chip.  If the 555 triggers once every 0.5 hours, then the second chip would have to count 8 times to get to 4 hours then reset and start over.  (8 x .5hrs = 4hrs)

For this counting action, we could use the 4017 Decade counter.  Feed the OUTPUT (pin 3) of the 555 timer to the CLOCK INPUT (pin 14) of the 4017.  Now the 4017 advances by one every 0.5hrs until it counts to 8 and you will have a HIGH on that respective pin every 4 hrs (pin 9) Also make sure you tie that pin to the RESET pin (pin 15) so the count is started over, other wise it will keep on counting to 10. (its a decade counter after all :smile:)

Ok so at this point you have the first 555 in Astable mode going off every 0.5hrs, and the 4017 counting and going off every 4 hrs.  Seems great, but we only want the fan on for 10 min.  As it is now the fan would be on for 4 hrs, then off for 4 hrs.

So we want to grab another 555 timer and set it up in MONOSTABLE mode.  This means that the 555 timer, once it gets a pulse, will turn on for a set time length then turn off.  (The LED example would be pushing a button, and it comes on for say 10 seconds then turns off until your press the button again. )

So in our example we want the fan to be on for 10min.  So feed the 8 OUTPUT of the 4017 (pin 9) into the INPUT of the second 555 timer. (pin 2)  Choose the correct values for the resistor and capacitor (MONOSTABLE Calculator) and every time 4 hrs when you trigger the INPUT, it should give you an OUTPUT for 10min.

Now we have a device that will turn on every 4hrs for 10min!  Your 5V computer fan is probaly too big of a load for the 555 timer to power, but hook up a transistor to it and you will be fine. 

There are tons of tutorials online for the 555 timer and 4017 decade counter, so you should be able to find tons of resources for it.  The hardest part of this would be picking the correct values of the resistors and capacitors used for the timing parts of the 555s.  There are calculators and tutorials on how to pick these though.

Also I would use some potentiometers for the resistors in the 555 circuits, because then you could mess changing resistor values easily and see how the circuit responds to the changes.  Build each section independently and make sure it works, then hook them all together to set each other off.

Let me know if you go for it or need help picking values for the resistors/capacitors.

:awethumb:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies