Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerockstafarian
unsui

can psychoactive mushrooms be found in south dakota?
    #1929426 - 09/18/03 02:55 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Hey everybody, i was just wondering if anybody has heard of any shrooms being found in south dakota. Ive heard that some species are found nearly everywhere, but i am just wondering if anybody has heard of or remembers a post of shrooms found in south dakota. Thanks

--------------------
^ Above post is complete fiction. ^

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: can psychoactive mushrooms be found in south dakota? [Re: rockstafarian]
    #1929598 - 09/18/03 03:35 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

The topic of this post is kinda risky, but just so you know, this is in the rules:

4. Do NOT ask what mushrooms can be found growing in your state, this information can easily be found in the  Mushroom Hunting FAQ.

Sorry for the bitchy comment and locking the post. I was in a bad mood... You know how it goes  :smirk:

Edited by GumbyDude (09/18/03 06:10 PM)

OfflineSaltyBasket
Vorticists'Suite

Loc: South Dakota
Re: can psychoactive mushrooms be found in south dakota? [Re: Gumby]
    #1930401 - 09/18/03 08:15 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Some(many) areas are not included in the FAQ. But active mushrooms may grow in a certain area that wasn't described by the writer of the Hunting FAQ. It would be helpful for someone to know what species grow in their area so they can avoid wasting time looking for active shrooms that don't grow in the specified area.
But then again, you're the moderator....

--------------------
Everything you will ever love will reject you or die.
Everything you will ever create will be thrown away.
Everything you're proud of will end up as trash.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: can psychoactive mushrooms be found in south dakota? [Re: SaltyBasket]
    #1930490 - 09/18/03 08:40 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

SaltyBasket said:
Some(many) areas are not included in the FAQ. But active mushrooms may grow in a certain area that wasn't described by the writer of the Hunting FAQ. It would be helpful for someone to know what species grow in their area so they can avoid wasting time looking for active shrooms that don't grow in the specified area.
But then again, you're the moderator....

Ahem... from the FAQ:
"Throughout the United States and Canada the species Panaeolus subbalteatus grows. Rather than create entries for states and provinces which would then have nothing else listed, it is probably a good assumption that this mushroom grows in those states and provinces not listed. Similarly, if it is not listed for a state or province, mentally add it."

Respectively all states ARE covered...
Not to be a dick, but common sense should tell you that after reading the intro, if no mushrooms are listed for your state, then the only mushroom that grows there is Panaeolus subbalteatus.

To avoid wasting your time? Simple, don't waste time looking for mushrooms that aren't listed for your state. If you're state isn't listed, all you've got to look for is Panaeolus subbalteatus.

I'm getting redundant... I'll stop now.

OfflineSaltyBasket
Vorticists'Suite

#1933436 - 09/19/03 06:31 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I've searched south dakota for mushrooms for over 8 years. I have never found a single Panaeolus subbalteatus.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1933501 - 09/19/03 07:03 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I've searched south dakota for mushrooms for over 8 years. I have never found a single Panaeolus subbalteatus.

I've searched Colorado for mushrooms for more than 25 years, and I've never found Panaeolus subbalteatus. But I know that it does grow here. It's just not very common, at least in the areas I've hunted mushrooms. P.S. - I did the last several updates to that FAQ, and I wrote the blurb GumbyDude quoted about P. subbalteatus. When I wrote that blurb I was more concerned with Alaska and Hawaii than the other states - yet research showed that it has definitely been found in those states.

I can pretty much guarantee that it does grow in South Dakota. It may well be something that grows only within a fairly restricted area or during a short season there. It has been found in harsher environments than South Dakota, and in places all around that state.

Our areas of the US (Colorado, South Dakota) are not very good areas for hunting active mushrooms. We don't have many active species, and they tend to not be very common. When locals ask me where they can find active mushrooms, I tell them to try the Gulf Coast or Pacific Northwest.

Perhaps your best possibility might be creating an area of suitable habitat for them and watching it. A garden heavily fertilized with horse manure would probably have a fair chance or producing some (by accident, you understand).

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinedoo
addict -crazy as a shithouse rat
 User Gallery

Loc: Slingshit, China
    #1935165 - 09/20/03 10:07 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

GumbyDude said:
Respectively all states ARE covered...
Not to be a dick, but common sense should tell you that after reading the intro, if no mushrooms are listed for your state, then the only mushroom that grows there is Panaeolus subbalteatus.

To avoid wasting your time? Simple, don't waste time looking for mushrooms that aren't listed for your state. If you're state isn't listed, all you've got to look for is Panaeolus subbalteatus.

Pan subbs may be the only active mushroom to be found in your state, but just because something is not listed, doesn't mean nothing can be found there. P.weilii was first discovered in Georgia in '95. It wasn't listed before then, but it's listed now. 25 years ago there were only a few active psilocybes listed anywhere. Today, thanks to certain mycologists (amateur and pros) we've got a lot more being found and documented. So don't give up.
If you're just hunting for a buzz, you may be wasting your time.You'd be better off taking Toxicmans advice. But if your hunting mushrooms, it's never a waste of time.
Good luck

doo

--------------------
- Arguing with a woman, is like trying to blow out a light bulb-

Edited by doo (09/20/03 10:08 AM)

Offlinedoo
addict -crazy as a shithouse rat
 User Gallery

Loc: Slingshit, China
Re: can psychoactive mushrooms be found in south dakota? [Re: doo]
    #1935173 - 09/20/03 10:16 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Sorry about this extra post.
I'm not knocking Gumby's replies, he's just doing his moderating job ( and he's damn good at it :thumbup:)
Just hopefully trying to offer some encouragement to keep'em hunting.

doo   

--------------------
- Arguing with a woman, is like trying to blow out a light bulb-

OfflineSaltyBasket
Vorticists'Suite

Re: can psychoactive mushrooms be found in south dakota? [Re: doo]
    #1945423 - 09/23/03 05:46 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

The mushroom hunting faq is flawed

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1945669 - 09/23/03 06:53 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

If you have a suggestion, please make it. If you feel there is an error, please suggest what you think the correction should be.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineDylandashroomer
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: can psychoactive mushrooms be found in south dakota? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #18693641 - 08/11/13 11:01 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I'm really having a hard time finding anything in south dakota or about it and i noticed that this is like 9 years old and I'll prolly get in trouble for bumping this I just need to know if anyone has found anything because south dakota sucks and the active mushrooms list hasn't been updated and i don't know where to look or what to look for

InvisibleTimmiTM
 User Gallery

Loc: Victoria Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: can psychoactive mushrooms be found in south dakota? [Re: rockstafarian]
    #18694588 - 08/11/13 11:01 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
The Psychoactive species by location list is updated regularly. If your state is not listed look at neighbouring states with a similar climate.

Quote:

Hunting Forum Rules said:
3. Do not ask what mushrooms can be found growing in your state or immediate area.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck