Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Rumsfeld sees no link between Iraq/9-11
    #1923565 - 09/16/03 10:35 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

WTF?

Yahoo! News

Rumsfeld Sees No Link Between Iraq, 9/11
Tue Sep 16, 8:29 PM ET

By ROBERT BURNS, AP Military Writer

WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said Tuesday he had no reason to believe that Iraq (news - web sites)'s Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) had a hand in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the United States.

At a Pentagon (news - web sites) news conference, Rumsfeld was asked about a poll that indicated nearly 70 percent of respondents believed the Iraqi leader probably was personally involved.

"I've not seen any indication that would lead me to believe that I could say that," Rumsfeld said.

He added: "We know he was giving $25,000 a family for anyone who would go out and kill innocent men, women and children. And we know of various other activities. But on that specific one, no, not to my knowledge."

The Bush administration has asserted that Saddam's government had links to al-Qaida, the terrorist network led by Osama bin Laden (news - web sites) that masterminded the Sept. 11 attacks. And in various public statements over the past year or so administration officials have suggested close links.

Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites) said on Sunday, for example, that success in stabilizing and democratizing Iraq would strike a major blow at the "the geographic base of the terrorists who have had us under assault for many years, but most especially on 9-11."

And Tuesday, in an interview on ABC's "Nightline," White House national security adviser Condoleezza Rice (news - web sites) said that one of the reasons President Bush (news - web sites) went to war against Saddam was because he posed a threat in "a region from which the 9-11 threat emerged."

In an appearance on NBC's "Meet the Press," Cheney was asked whether he was surprised that more than two-thirds of Americans in the Washington Post poll would express a belief that Iraq was behind the attacks.

"No, I think it's not surprising that people make that connection," he replied.

Rice, asked about the same poll numbers, said, "We have never claimed that Saddam Hussein had either direction or control of 9-11."

"What we have said," she added, "is that this is someone who supported terrorists, helped to train them, but most importantly that this is someone who, with his animus toward the United States, with his penchant for and capability to gain weapons of mass destruction, and his obvious willingness to use them, was a threat in this region that we were not prepared to tolerate."

Cheney said he recalled being asked about an Iraq connection to 9-11 shortly after the attacks, and he recalled saying he knew of no evidence at that point.

"Subsequent to that, we have learned a couple of things," he said. "We learned more and more that there was a relationship between Iraq and al-Qaida that stretched back through most of the decade of the '90s; that it involved training, for example, on BW (biological warfare) and CW (chemical warfare) ? that al-Qaida sent personnel to Baghdad to get trained on the systems, and involved the Iraqis providing bomb-making expertise and advice to the al-Qaida organization."

At his Pentagon news conference, Rumsfeld reiterated his belief that U.S. and coalition forces in Iraq are making satisfactory progress in stabilizing the country.

He said it was an "open question" whether the United States would get the 10,000 to 15,000 additional international troops it seeks to create a third multinational division for security duty in Iraq. The Pentagon has been hopeful of getting at least that many additional troops from Turkey, Pakistan or other friendly countries to beef up security and possibly to allow some of the 130,000 U.S. troops there to go home next year.

"It would relieve some of the pressure on our forces," Rumsfeld said. "Whether or not there will be a (United Nations (news - web sites)) resolution and whether or not ? even if there were a resolution ? we would get that number of troops is an open question."

Rice acknowledged that if commitments for more troops are gained, it "could be months" before they were in place.

Gen. Peter Pace, the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff who appeared with Rumsfeld, said there are more than 210,000 coalition forces in Iraq: 130,000 American troops, 24,000 British and other international troops, and 60,000 Iraqi police, border guards and civil defense forces.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Re: Rumsfeld sees no link between Iraq/9-11 [Re: Learyfan]
    #1923750 - 09/16/03 11:31 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, it's really precious...

Condi Rice just gave an interview that said the administration never linked Saddam to 9/11 and there was no link.. yadda yadda yadda.

Backpeddling adminstration at its finest.

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1923777 - 09/16/03 11:38 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

This really does teeter on the brink of insanity. It's incredible that a supposedly independent media swallows this bullshit without a word.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #1923837 - 09/16/03 11:57 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld last year boasted that the Pentagon and CIA had ?bulletproof? evidence linking Iraq to al-Qaeda, although Rumsfeld refused to declassify any of the intelligence he had to support his claims.

Found that here, but its not a direct quote.
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article4372.htm

Need to find a good source on Rumsfeld's earlier 911/Iraq comments.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Rumsfeld sees no link between Iraq/9-11 [Re: pattern]
    #1923861 - 09/17/03 12:03 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Why would they try and say they never made a link between Iraq and 9-11?

--------------------

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #1923865 - 09/17/03 12:05 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
Why would they try and say they never made a link between Iraq and 9-11?

Great question. 

What prompted them to start saying that now?

Maybe its getting closer to election time.  :smirk: 

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1923877 - 09/17/03 12:09 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I guess they know if they say absolutely anything many people in the country will believe them. (Certainly many people on this board will believe them!). With such a submissive media they assume they can get away with pretty much anything.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
Re: Rumsfeld sees no link between Iraq/9-11 [Re: Xlea321]
    #1924055 - 09/17/03 01:21 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

More on backpeddling here too:

Quote:

New doctrine: admission by stealth
By Stewart Powell and Dan Freedman in Washington
September 17, 2003

The United States Vice-President's retreat from prewar claims that Saddam Hussein had nuclear weapons appears to be part of a broader Bush Administration effort to abandon disputed assertions without admitting mistakes, experts say.

In an interview on Sunday, Dick Cheney rolled back his prewar claim that Iraq possessed nuclear weapons.

Two days earlier, the Deputy Secretary of Defence, Paul Wolfowitz, had said he was mistaken when he claimed that "a great many" high-ranking lieutenants of the al-Qaeda leader, Osama bin Laden, were plotting with remnants of Saddam's regime to kill Americans in Iraq.

Stephen Hess, a Brookings Institution scholar who has worked for four presidents, said the Administration's goal "is not to admit mistakes".

"Their actions remind me of the old adage that being president is never having to say you're sorry," Mr Hess said.

Larry Sabato, a political scientist at the University of Virginia who studies political damage control, said the Administration was "very gradually trying to rub the rough edges off earlier claims and predictions".

"Administration officials are eating crow one by one, eating smaller portions and calling it prime beef," Mr Sabato said.

Mr Cheney conceded in a TV interview that he had mistakenly claimed three days before the March 19 invasion of Iraq that Saddam had "reconstituted nuclear weapons".

"I misspoke," Mr Cheney said. " We never had evidence that [Saddam] had acquired a nuclear weapon." He also retreated from his allegation that the September 11 hijacker Mohammed Atta had ties with Iraqi intelligence.

"We have never been able to develop any more of that yet, either in terms of confirming it or denying it," Mr Cheney said.

He also dropped his prewar certainty that unfettered inspections would uncover Iraqi weapons of mass destruction. "We think that the jury is still out in terms of trying to get everything pulled together with respect to what we know," Mr Cheney said.

He believed evidence would emerge to show at least that Saddam "had aspirations to acquire a nuclear weapon".

On Friday, Mr Wolfowitz narrowed his earlier claim that "a great many of bin Laden's key lieutenants are now trying to organise in co-operation with old loyalists from the Saddam regime to attack in Iraq".

Mr Wolfowitz said he had misspoken. "It's not 'a great many' - it's one," he said.

He said he had been referring to Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, an al-Qaeda operative training Iraqis in the use of chemical weapons.

The Defence Secretary, Donald Rumsfeld, offered his own roll-back last Wednesday when he was asked to clarify his March 30 claim on weapons of mass destruction that "we know where they are".

Mr Rumsfeld said: "Sometimes I overstate for emphasis. I should have said, 'I believe we're in that area. Our intelligence tells us they're in that area, and that was our best judgement.' "

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Rumsfeld sees no link between Iraq/9-11 [Re: Edame]
    #1924261 - 09/17/03 03:09 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Mr Rumsfeld said: "Sometimes I overstate for emphasis.  :lol: 

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#1926875 - 09/17/03 09:59 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

So now Bush himself has come out to say that there is no link between Saddam and 9-11. Story

Look at this picture of Dick Cheney as he watches Bush's speech. Is he not some kind of cartoonish super villain? You can almost hear him saying "Excellent" in a low, Mr. Burns tone of voice and cackling under his breath.

LOOK at this guy. This is the guy you people trust with our country!??!?

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1926941 - 09/17/03 10:19 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I like Cheney better than Bush.

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Rumsfeld sees no link between Iraq/9-11 [Re: shakta]
    #1927056 - 09/17/03 10:51 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

LOOK AT HIM!

"Yes Georgie boy. Keep spinning. Soon the world will be in my clutches. Hahahahaahahahahahahaha"

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1927066 - 09/17/03 10:54 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, and? I like him. I like Rumsfeld as well. hehehehehe!

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1927070 - 09/17/03 10:55 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

BTW, why is it a surprise they all say there is no known connection?

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#1927111 - 09/17/03 11:07 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

You know they gave the people the impression that Iraq was behind 9-11. That was how they got so many people to ride.

"I hear people saying we don't need this war
I say there's some things worth fighting for
What about our freedom and this piece of ground?
We didn't get to keep 'em by backing down
They say we don't realize the mess we're getting in
Before you start preaching
Let me ask you this my friend

CHORUS 1
Have you forgotten how it felt that day
To see your homeland under fire
And her people blown away?
Have you forgotten when those towers fell?
We had neighbors still inside
Going through a living hell
And you say we shouldn't worry 'bout Bin Laden
Have you forgotten?

They took all the footage off my T.V.
Said it's too disturbing for you and me
It'll just breed anger that's what the experts say
If it was up to me I'd show it every day
Some say this country's just out looking for a fight
After 9/11 man I'd have to say that's right

CHORUS 1
Have you forgotten how it felt that day
To see your homeland under fire
And her people blown away?
Have you forgotten when those towers fell?
We had neighbors still inside
Going through a living hell
And we vowed to get the ones behind Bin Laden
Have you forgotten?

I've been there with the soldiers
Who've gone away to war
And you can bet that they remember
Just what they're fighting for

CHORUS 2
Have you forgotten all the people killed?
Yes, some went down like heroes in that Pennsylvania field
Have you forgotten about our Pentagon?
All the loved ones that we lost
And those left to carry on
Don't you tell me not to worry 'bout Bin Laden
Have you forgotten?

Have you forgotten?
Have you forgotten?"

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1927120 - 09/17/03 11:09 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

So when did the administration right that song?

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
    #1927130 - 09/17/03 11:13 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
LOOK at this guy. This is the guy you people trust with our country!??!?

I don't trust anybody who is desirous of wearing the ring of power. That my dear Frodo, is why we must destroy the concept of the state as a solution to our problems so that no one may be tempted to grasp it and hold it as his own... Capisce?

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Rumsfeld sees no link between Iraq/9-11 [Re: Autonomous]
    #1927134 - 09/17/03 11:14 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Do you think there should be no state? Just curious.

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
    #1927150 - 09/17/03 11:18 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

That is what we should be striving for as an ultimate goal...

'I heartily accept the motto, "That government is best which governs least"; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically. Carried out, it finally amounts to this, which also I believe--"That government is best which governs not at all"; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have.'
Henry David Thoreau (Civil Disobedience)

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Rumsfeld sees no link between Iraq/9-11 [Re: Autonomous] * 1
    #1927168 - 09/17/03 11:22 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I wonder if mankind will ever reach that point. I have my doubts.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom