Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHashfinger
Nippy Wiffle
 User Gallery

Loc: Georgia
Tricholoma ID (GA Matsutake?)
    #19225944 - 12/04/13 09:48 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Wondering if anyone can help me ID these to a species? Just making sure they are actually Tricholoma, and that they are edible. I tried a few similar looking ones growing under hardwood, but they had more of the reddish squamules on the cap and stipe than this collection. These were also growing under hardwood, buried in sandy soil near a river. They smell weird. If they aren't poisonous I'd like to do a taste test and see if they are bitter or not.

--------------------
Species List (Georgia): Psilocybe caerulescens/weilii, Psilocybe atlantis/galindoi, Psilocybe cubensis, Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata, Psilocybe caerulipes, Psilocybe semilanceata, Psilocybe fagicola, Copelandia cyanescens, Panaeolus cinctulus, Panaeolus fimicola, Panaeolus olivaceus, Gymnopilus luteofolius, Gymnopilus aeruginosus, Gymnopilus junonius, Pluteus salicinus

(Ohio): Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata, Psilocybe caerulipes, Pluteus cyanopus, Pluteus salicinus sensu lato..., Panaeolus cinctulus, Gymnopilus luteus, Gymnopilus luteofolius, Gymnopilus junonius, Gymnopilus aeruginosus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLhun
Fungal Fixation
Male User Gallery

Loc: Other side of your screen...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Tricholoma ID (GA Matsutake?) [Re: Hashfinger]
    #19225978 - 12/04/13 10:04 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Not Tricholoma magnivelare.  They look more like Hygrophorus.  Perhaps H. ponderatus.

OfflineHashfinger
Nippy Wiffle
 User Gallery

Re: Tricholoma ID (GA Matsutake?) [Re: Lhun]
    #19225993 - 12/04/13 10:08 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Lhun said:
Not Tricholoma magnivelare.  They look more like Hygrophorus.  Perhaps H. ponderatus.

Edible?

--------------------
Species List (Georgia): Psilocybe caerulescens/weilii, Psilocybe atlantis/galindoi, Psilocybe cubensis, Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata, Psilocybe caerulipes, Psilocybe semilanceata, Psilocybe fagicola, Copelandia cyanescens, Panaeolus cinctulus, Panaeolus fimicola, Panaeolus olivaceus, Gymnopilus luteofolius, Gymnopilus aeruginosus, Gymnopilus junonius, Pluteus salicinus

(Ohio): Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata, Psilocybe caerulipes, Pluteus cyanopus, Pluteus salicinus sensu lato..., Panaeolus cinctulus, Gymnopilus luteus, Gymnopilus luteofolius, Gymnopilus junonius, Gymnopilus aeruginosus

InvisibleLhun
Fungal Fixation
Male User Gallery

Loc: Other side of your screen...
Trusted Identifier
    #19226014 - 12/04/13 10:17 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Hashfinger said:
Edible?

If it is H. ponderatus, yes they are edible. 

They are known from Georgia, so I think that is what you have there.  But it is not a mushroom I find here in California so my ID is not definite.

OfflineHashfinger
Nippy Wiffle
 User Gallery

Re: Tricholoma ID (GA Matsutake?) [Re: Lhun]
    #19226033 - 12/04/13 10:24 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Lhun said:
Quote:

Hashfinger said:
Edible?

If it is H. ponderatus, yes they are edible. 

They are known from Georgia, so I think that is what you have there.  But it is not a mushroom I find here in California so my ID is not definite.

I think your ID is pretty damn accurate! It looks and sounds just like them. They smell really strange. Idk what the flavor would be like. I might try them sometime. It was an exciting find that's for sure! They were hidden so well. Once I brushed the leaves away there was a whole fairy ring of them. I believe they were mychorrhizal with maple.

--------------------

InvisibleRan-D
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Tricholoma ID (GA Matsutake?) [Re: Hashfinger] * 1
    #19226187 - 12/04/13 11:22 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Definitely a Hygrophorus sp. I don't know much about H. ponderatus but I wouldn't jump to call it that. Lots of Hygrophorus species look pretty similar.

Edited by Ran-D (12/04/13 11:26 AM)

Offlinefry day
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Tricholoma ID (GA Matsutake?) [Re: Ran-D]
    #19228935 - 12/04/13 09:15 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Are there even matsutake in Georgia?  I thought that was our special treat in the pnw and points west of us...

Those caps look kinda slimy and the flesh looks much less dense than matsi, as data points...  They're so dense your knife will squeak when you cut through them.  Got the oddest firm texture of any shroom I've encountered.  And no veil/remnants...

Let us know how those turn out if you sample 'em!

--------------------
"Shrub, 30-90 cm. Leaves 2.5-) 4-9 cm, sessile or amplexicaul, broadly ovate to ovate-oblong, obtuse or rounded to subapiculate or subacute, when crushed not smelling of goats."

"The initial quake was a 6.6 but fairly shallow. I felt it as a prolonged up and down vibration followed by a jolt forward and then to the left, like square dancing."

OfflineHashfinger
Nippy Wiffle
 User Gallery

Re: Tricholoma ID (GA Matsutake?) [Re: fry day]
    #19230198 - 12/05/13 07:25 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

fry day said:
Are there even matsutake in Georgia?  I thought that was our special treat in the pnw and points west of us...

Those caps look kinda slimy and the flesh looks much less dense than matsi, as data points...  They're so dense your knife will squeak when you cut through them.  Got the oddest firm texture of any shroom I've encountered.  And no veil/remnants...

Yes matsutake do grow in GA, there are a few different varieties, some of which don't even grow on pine as the name "matsutake" suggests (pine mushroom). Very elusive buggers. I found some edible Trichs in november but they were bitter as hell. If I find the non-bitter ones, and key in on the season/habitat, you PNW'ers are going down! The south will rise again!

--------------------

InvisibleGanzig
It's for the street cred
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon Flag
    #19230512 - 12/05/13 09:49 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Hashfinger said:
Quote:

fry day said:

Yes matsutake do grow in GA, there are a few different varieties, some of which don't even grow on pine as the name "matsutake" suggests (pine mushroom). Very elusive buggers. I found some edible Trichs in november but they were bitter as hell. If I find the non-bitter ones, and key in on the season/habitat, you PNW'ers are going down! The south will rise again!

The extra bitter one you found was not a matsutake. :lol:

It is a look alike species. I am forgetting which..........

Damn brain. I want to say Catathelasma but I don't know that is correct.

--------------------
I must keep reminding myself of this.
I must keep reminding myself of this. I must keep reminding myself of this.

InvisibleGanzig
It's for the street cred
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon Flag
Re: Tricholoma ID (GA Matsutake?) [Re: Ganzig]
    #19230533 - 12/05/13 09:56 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Wait wait no. It was the T. caligatum. :lol:

Love this story.

--------------------
I must keep reminding myself of this. I must keep reminding myself of this.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies