Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetrouted
journeyman
humidity from aquarium heater?
    #1922105 - 09/16/03 04:07 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Hey all,

for incubation i have a rubbermaid container (which will also be used as a terrarium) with an aquarium heater in a glass of water inside. this heater is not fully submersible and does not have a thermostat - frankly, its a piece of shit, but i'm extremely low on cash and didn't realize its shortcomings till just recently. this certainly warms up the rubbermaid, and now seemst o be working better that i got it to stay in a good temp. range. a curious (yet obvious) side effect is that whilst heating the water the heater causes it to evaporate, causing condensation all over the container. so two things:

1) will this harm the jars if nothing is covering the holes? hope not, otherwise the damage might be done.

2) can this be used in conjunction with perlite or instead of perlite to provide humidity? may create too much... the container was sopping after a few hours, though i had the setting on way too high. ill probably take it out completely during furitng and keep room temp at 75, if i can. just curious though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: humidity from aquarium heater? [Re: trouted]
    #1922220 - 09/16/03 04:36 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

The excess moisture in the incubator should not cause a direct problem with your jars, but it might increase your contam risk.

To greatly decrease the evaporation simply place a plastic bag loosely over the container that holds the water and heater.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Invisibleph_plus
Malkawian

Loc: Constantinople
Re: humidity from aquarium heater? [Re: dog]
    #1922223 - 09/16/03 04:37 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

> 1) will this harm the jars if nothing is covering the holes? hope not, otherwise the damage might be done.

I tried that also... But if that condensed water gets in the jar... That's a main reason for contamination. You can try to cover the open part of the glass with stretch film or thin foil... So the water will still be hot and be able to heat the incubator. And no vapour will be able to escape from the glass... So no condensation...

> 2) can this be used in conjunction with perlite or instead of perlite to provide humidity? may create too much... the container was sopping after a few hours, though i had the setting on way too high. ill probably take it out completely during furitng and keep room temp at 75, if i can. just curious though.

Using perlite will ease your work... You have to drop the temp to let them fruit anyway... And that system uses heat to evaporate water.... So that's not the ideal way... Taking it out completely and keeping room temp at 75-78 with some wet perlite in the rubbermaid is a better idea IMO...

--------------------

The word truth...... doesn't make any sense..... As if the word sense...... which isn't the truth.........

Offlineprocule
Drinker

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Re: humidity from aquarium heater? [Re: ph_plus]
    #1922442 - 09/16/03 05:34 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

What I used to control the evaporation of my aquarium heater is to cover the top of the jar with aluminium foil (like as a lid) and then fit the heater through a hole in the foil just big enough to let it pass. A lot less evaporation.

--------------------
home grown shit
god damn it

Jump to top Pages: 1

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale