Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFrozenHappiness
Professional Cereal Box

Loc: Nagoon Lagoon
Dead River Trip * 1
    #19187691 - 11/25/13 04:05 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

This fall has been  stressful one. School had been keeping me almost unreasonably busy, I had given up tobacco, my winter insomnia had been slowly coming back, my mind was packed full of clutter from recent past events, from current events, from living life...

I was overdue for a trip; it had been a month or two since my last one, and I was ready.
It was Friday, the first permanent snow of the season had happened the night prior, and I only had one biology lecture that day. So, that morning I officially made the decision. I was going to go on a journey.

I had some breakfast, and packed all of the things I would need for the day into my backpack: Hot herbal tea in a thermos, my water bottle, gloves and mittens, some fruit for a snack, my lecture notes, a packed chillum, a flashlight, and a headlamp in case I was still out in the woods after dark. I measured out 2.5g of fungus from my stash and put them in a baggie with a small handful of chocolate covered espresso beans. By then it was time to go to class, so I poured myself a cup of coffee and was about to leave my wife a note when she came through the door. I told her not to expect me home until after dark, and that I was going to go on a journey about the Dead River. She told me to have fun, and be careful.

I decided to eat the fungus halfway through lecture so I would be just starting to feel it by the time class was over. I ate 2g there, and saved the other 0.5g for when I arrived at the Dead River Basin. The chocolate covered espresso beans masked the flavor of the mushroom flesh more effectively than anything else I have ever tried. By the time class let out I was just barely starting to feel it, and so I trekked out across campus towards my destination.

The walk was uneventful, it was a balmy 33 degrees outside and the sun would come and go. I observed my surroundings intently as I walked and I felt the effects of the fungus slowly intensify. Early trip anxiety came and went in waves until I made it just outside of town and into woods, then the euphoria hit me full on. In the quiet, hiking the trails amongst the trees was exactly where I needed to be. My thoughts began to race and twist and run through my head, and the minute details of everything around me began to stand out in high resolution. I was very aware of the cold, and I wondered if it would be a problem for me, because I didn't intend on heading back home until I was on the come down. I decided to accept whatever came my way joyfully. I had dressed for the weather, 6 hours of cold wouldn't kill me unless I fell into the water. The cold was my friend. Be the cold. Love the cold.

I hiked at a fast pace for quite awhile, without really stopping and looking at anything too closely. Just feeling my body move over the uneven terrain. Feeling the air pass through my nose and into my lungs. Feeling exquisite. I passed by the lower Dead River Dam and stopped. Water was raging out of the spillway in a white thundering cloud. I could feel the vibration through my feet. I could feel it in my chest. I stared at the churning pounding water and became hypnotized. Everything in my peripheral vision began to warp and bend and twist, dancing to the thundering of the water. I snapped out of my trance and grinned. It was becoming much easier to get distracted each moment that passed. I was tempted to climb down by where the water was raging to feel it more strongly, but instead I continued up to my favorite spot in the entire Dead River Basin to hang out for a while.

My favorite place lies atop of this group of rocks that rises about 150 feet above the Dead River Basin. The view is wonderful, and the atmosphere is even better. The climb overheated me, so I removed my backpack and jacket and began to get friendly with my surroundings. I admired the world around me. I loved it all intensely. I hugged trees, and climbed on mossy cliff ledges, and inspected the infinate array of lichens, mosses and ferns. I sat in silence and meditated. After awhile I noticed that I was very cold, so I put my jacket back on and laid in the sun and closed my eyes. Blinking diamond and star patterns tessellated all over the inside of my eyelids, they expanded and contracted, and flowed seamlessly one into the other in purples, and blues and oranges and reds and even in a peculiar black color that was somehow more colorful then anything I had ever seen. I was suddenly very cold again, so I got up and decided it was time to go exploring. I ate my remaining 0.5g, put mittens on over my gloves and got a move on.

The entire hike was long and eventful and fulfilling. I wrestled with my own inner deamons as I walked, and I traveled to some very dark places within myself. I acknowledged the ghosts I have hanging around me. I traveled to some very light places as well. I explored the woods, in awe. I felt them around me viscerally. At one point I as was slowly walking down this narrow path cut into a steep wooded hillside somebody walking their dog almost caught up to me, and I felt like they were pushing me down the trail. So I got out of the way and let them pass, and I poured myself a cup of hot tea and sat and soaked in all the beauty around me. I watched a couple running the trail approach with their dog in the lead. When the dog was almost upon me it stopped dead in its tracks and looked at me with unease. So I said "Hello!" and the dog wagged its tail and jumped on me and began licking my face; I pet it and giggled. When the couple caught up with their dog I don't think they saw me right away because the woman gasped in surprise (fear?) when she saw me. They called their dog off of me, looked at me strangely and apologized. Later, on the same trail, I heard a group of runners approach. They were loud and obnoxious. I stepped off the trail so the could pass, and I eyed up some conks growing out of an old aspen tree while I waited. The runners were conversing loudly, practically yelling at each other. They were nearly upon when they noticed me, and one by one, they shut up and got awkwardly quiet. I bellowed "HOWDY!" at them as they passed, and I grinned at them a big psychedelic grin. They were all in spandex, and they all had fanny packs. This struck me as absurd and I began to laugh loudly.

I made it to the second turbine house on the Dead River. This one is neat because it is fed water from a dam more than a mile upstream through a pipeline. The really neat part is that this system was constructed before 1920 and the pipeline is made out of wood. I climbed ontop of the pipeline and followed it, smelling the creosote in the wood, and watching the sunlight refracting in rainbows through the spray of water that shot out of the numerous tiny leaks in the pipe. I could feel the water rush through the pipe beneath my feet. After a while, I left the pipeline to follow a network of trails I hadn't been on in years. The trails eventually led me to the the upper dam on the Dead River. I stopped there at a conveniently placed park bench and admired the view across the gorge. I poured a cup of hot tea, smoked my chillum and ate some fruit. I could see where the pipeline was coming out of the dam on the other side of the gorge, and debated on whether or not I wanted to walk across the damn to get to it, but decided that probably wasn't a smart thing to do while I was tripping. I explored the area, marveling at all of the beautiful things around me. A paper birch gave me a present.

The sun was beginning to set, and I had one cup of tea left in my thermos. I had this overwhelming urge to hoof it back to my favorite spot and finish the tea there. So I set out on a mission following different trails on the backward journey than the ones I took on the forward journey. It took what felt like a loooong time to get back to my spot. I had hiked at a very quick pace, and the sunlight was rapidly declining. By the time I reached my goal it was dark out, the shadows took on a life of their own, and the snow on the ground kept the paths visible. I could faintly smell woodsmoke on the air. I new somebody was on top of the rocks having a fire, so I climbed up to join them.

A group of 6 or 8 college kids were up there huddled around a fire. I could tell my presence made them alittle uncomfortable so when they asked what I was up to I explained that I had eaten some mushrooms earlier and I was out an about enjoying a nature trip. They all relaxed considerably and they explained that they were all trippin too. Weird! I was blown away, I rolled on the ground and laughed hysterically. I finished the tea from my thermos, and hung out with these trippin' strangers for awhile. There was conversation, and merry making, and laughter. And then I began to feel a little awkward, these kids were on their way up into a trip, I was on my way down out of a trip. It was dark, and I was sure my wife was beginning to worry. It was time for me to go home. I strapped on my pack, and bid them all a nice evening, and an enjoyable trip. They howled like a pack of wolves, and I howled back as I slipped over the steep side of the rock. I was acutely aware of the capabilities of my body as I scampered down the steep path among large boulders, ankle twisting rocks, and perilous drop offs. I knew where I was going to place my feet, and why, many steps in advance. I came down the rocks as graceful as a gazelle-- it was spectacular.

During the walk out of the woods and back into civilization I reflected peacefully about the places I had been, and the events that took place over the course of the day.

I made it home well after dark still tripping, but definitely on the way down. I felt like a completely different person compared to the one that left the house earlier that morning. This was exactly what I needed.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblezZZz
jesus
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Dead River Trip [Re: FrozenHappiness]
    #19187872 - 11/25/13 05:00 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

nice trip man, sounds so relaxing. :cool::thumbup:  i especially liked the part where you ran into the group of friends. what a trip. :hippie:

OfflineJamaican Hotbox
Drug Lover
Male

Re: Dead River Trip [Re: zZZz]
    #19212245 - 12/01/13 11:44 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Very well written report man! I really enjoyed reading it and your trip sounded great. I can't wait have a nice trip in nature.

InvisibleComcouveflor
 User Gallery

Re: Dead River Trip [Re: Jamaican Hotbox]
    #19213244 - 12/01/13 03:10 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Most enjoyable read! :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder