Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineblojo02184
Big Red
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maine
PMP theory/idea tek, thoughts and concerns
    #19033357 - 10/25/13 09:49 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Pmp tek.

Tote with bubble wandS, covered in 4-5" clay, lava rock, or perlite pebbles and 2.5-3'5" water.
Pumping in roughly 3 complete air exchanges an hour.
Evaporation happens in the 1.5" of media surface above water level and the air passing by it.

I'm going to build a pmp to magash tek, except I'm replacing the lid with a piece of tyvek, facing as if the inside of the tub would be the exterior of the house.
Tyvek is a moisture barrier, and if placed properly, would allow air exchanges and keep moisture inside of the terrarium.

Thoughts and concerns?
Action happening soon...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehgmstl
Dough boy
 User Gallery

Loc: The spot. Flag
Re: PMP theory/idea tek, thoughts and concerns [Re: blojo02184]
    #19033364 - 10/25/13 09:50 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

many concerns

--------------------
Yo yo yo

Offlineblojo02184
Big Red
Male User Gallery

Re: PMP theory/idea tek, thoughts and concerns [Re: hgmstl]
    #19033392 - 10/25/13 09:58 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

... Like?

Offlinehgmstl
Dough boy
 User Gallery

#19033428 - 10/25/13 10:05 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I apologize for my weak initial response.
It is too much work and seems like a breeding ground for contamination.
Monotubs and SGFCs work much better.
Try and stay away from overcomplicating things.
Make sure you are reading recent and relevant posts. no more than 2 years old.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17897163#17897163

--------------------
Yo yo yo

Offlineblojo02184
Big Red
Male User Gallery

#19033443 - 10/25/13 10:10 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I like to think outside the box...
I understand low fae and humidity was the cause of the phasing out of magash's pmp tek.

My theory is that by allowing more air circulation through a water barrier would solve both issues...

Offlinehgmstl
Dough boy
 User Gallery

#19033451 - 10/25/13 10:15 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

how can you argue against minimum 6 ounces first flush from one tub? (if not more)
automating never works.
i have never seen someone make it work better than a greenhouse or monotubs.
please correct me if im wrong.

from this point on i will not rain on your parade if you want to experiment.

--------------------
Yo yo yo

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #19033532 - 10/25/13 10:32 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Every tek I've seen that uses an aquarium pump always puts the fucking aquarium pump into a bubble stone in water.  WHY?  It's not going to give you humidity.  Just have the aquarium pump piping fresh air into the chamber and you will get your full fresh air exchange.

Quote:

hgmstl said:
I apologize for my weak initial response.
It is too much work and seems like a breeding ground for contamination.
Monotubs and SGFCs work much better.
Try and stay away from overcomplicating things.
Make sure you are reading recent and relevant posts. no more than 2 years old.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17897163#17897163

Perlite is messy and fucking sucks.  Yes it's simple.  It's the perfect tek for beginners and it works great for everything from cakes to trays etc.

If the SGFC was perfect AND convenient people wouldn't constantly ask about an alternative to it.  People don't want to fan and mist 3 times a day.  They want a set it and forget it for CAKES.  Don't fire back with 'well just do monos if you want to set it and forget it' because that's not what people want.  People want a set it and forget it solution for CAKES.  Not monos.  Something that can be used without perlite, that will work in an enclosed environment ('stealth') and is guaranteed to keep humidity, provide evaporation and give full FAE.

No one has come up with the answer yet.  Some people make the PMP work.  The moment someone brings up using an air pump or something everyone immediately jumps down their throat and says build a SGFC or just switch to monos.

But for some reason buying a fan and dialing it in to a monotub is good while finding an air pump for automated FAE in an enclosed environment is bad.  The monotub has been proven to work.  But not everyone wants to buy a fucking pressure cooker.  Not everyone wants to fan and mist 3 times a day.  Regardless of price point, there has to be some kind of automated setup that will accomplish these things for cakes without the mess of perlite and without the attention needed for an SGFC.

That being said, I'm thinking arduino's and a thermal sensor connected to an automatic 'mister' that will detect when the cakes need to be misted / fanned.  OR swarms of nanobots specifically programmed to bring EZ water molecules (
to the surface of the cakes in sync with multiple oscilating fans to evaporate it and 'helper' nano bots to move mycelium strands into knots to accelerate the forming of pins. :rockon:

--------------------
First time growing cakes? DON'T make a Shotgun Fruiting Chamber

The Shmuvbox. - The Old TC's Like it :shrug:

Afraid to Start Growing From Your Own Prints? Drop it Like a Tiger!
No Pouring. No Syringes. No Cutting. No flaming. No Contamination. No Bullshit.

"The best thing to do while your waiting is to start more stuff. I usually got so much happening that I have tossed projects simply because I didn't have time for them. -Pastywhite QFT

Pastywhite's Easy Agar Tek (PastyPlates)

Tiger Drop Video Demos By munchauzen

Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.―Bill Watterson

EZEKIEL 23:20

Offlinehgmstl
Dough boy
 User Gallery

Re: PMP theory/idea tek, thoughts and concerns [Re: elasticaltiger]
    #19033542 - 10/25/13 10:35 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

over complicated.
just switch to monos.

--------------------
Yo yo yo

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #19033635 - 10/25/13 11:02 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

hgmstl said:
over complicated.
just switch to monos.

:drunkdriver:

--------------------
First time growing cakes? DON'T make a Shotgun Fruiting Chamber

The Shmuvbox. - The Old TC's Like it :shrug:

Afraid to Start Growing From Your Own Prints? Drop it Like a Tiger!
No Pouring. No Syringes. No Cutting. No flaming. No Contamination. No Bullshit.

"The best thing to do while your waiting is to start more stuff. I usually got so much happening that I have tossed projects simply because I didn't have time for them. -Pastywhite QFT

Pastywhite's Easy Agar Tek (PastyPlates)

Tiger Drop Video Demos By munchauzen

Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.―Bill Watterson

EZEKIEL 23:20

Offlinehgmstl
Dough boy
 User Gallery

Re: PMP theory/idea tek, thoughts and concerns [Re: elasticaltiger]
    #19033645 - 10/25/13 11:08 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

i wish i was as awesome as officer jim lahey.
please show me when you are able to automate and get good consistent yields.
prove me wrong with evidence of your automated grow.

--------------------
Yo yo yo

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #19034374 - 10/26/13 06:37 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

blojo02184 said:
I like to think outside the box...
I understand low fae and humidity was the cause of the phasing out of magash's pmp tek.

My theory is that by allowing more air circulation through a water barrier would solve both issues...

Then think outside the box and build a shotgun terrarium which fixes all the problems with outdated PMPs and does so with natural air currents.

The problem with PMPs was and is the steady-state humidity.  Mycelium wants a varying humidity level to pin and fruit properly.  A shotgun terrarium goes through these daily oscillations as the temp and humidity in the room its in changes throughout the day.  A PMP is isolated from these changes, thus develops a steady saturation-humidity level which impedes pinning and growth.

Take a quick look at all the so-called 'automated terrariums' over the last ten years via the search function and try to find one single grower who is still using one.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineanon887
Stranger
Re: PMP theory/idea tek, thoughts and concerns [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #19035617 - 10/26/13 01:01 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

You won't find many friends on this site. Unspoken rule of shroomery is your only allowed to talk about SGFC and monos. Anything else you just get as you see, people shout they know everything and your wasting your time.

I have a pmp going, as RR said, the FAE is really the only problem with PMP. FAE really hurts humidity in PMP. These are the 2 systems you have to 'dial in' on PMP. For most of the people here its too much work and they resign to mono and SGFC.

My first run, PMP with manual fan and mist did the best so far. Somewhat equal to a SGFC; but still sub-par.

Second run with a 3inch hole w/CPU fan. Produced less and smaller and stretchy fruits, though I had many more pins and the automation was nice; the drop in humidity too much from the open hole/fan.

Third run, currently going. I have a SFD under my fan. I have it set to run 30m every 2 hr. The humidity drops only 3~5% with fan on for 30m. Hopefully this provides enough FAE with keeping humidity in.

We will see.... If you are in the buying stage, I would say do a PMP but instead of the bubble-wands/air pump. Get a humidifier and PVC it to your tub. This seems to work the best on the site and keeps automation and perlite out.

OfflineStromriderM
This must be the place
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dept of know what I'm say... Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: PMP theory/idea tek, thoughts and concerns [Re: anon887]
    #19035637 - 10/26/13 01:04 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

anon887 said:
You won't find many friends on this site. Unspoken rule of shroomery is your only allowed to talk about SGFC and monos. Anything else you just get as you see, people shout they know everything and your wasting your time.

I have a pmp going, as RR said, the FAE is really the only problem with PMP. FAE really hurts humidity in PMP. These are the 2 systems you have to 'dial in' on PMP. For most of the people here its too much work and they resign to mono and SGFC.

My first run, PMP with manual fan and mist did the best so far. Somewhat equal to a SGFC; but still sub-par.

Second run with a 3inch hole w/CPU fan. Produced less and smaller and stretchy fruits, though I had many more pins and the automation was nice; the drop in humidity too much from the open hole/fan.

Third run, currently going. I have a SFD under my fan. I have it set to run 30m every 2 hr. The humidity drops only 3~5% with fan on for 30m. Hopefully this provides enough FAE with keeping humidity in.

We will see.... If you are in the buying stage, I would say do a PMP but instead of the bubble-wands/air pump. Get a humidifier and PVC it to your tub. This seems to work the best on the site and keeps automation and perlite out.

Sure it wouldn't have just been a lot easier to build a sgfc or do bulk in a monotub? :lol:

Sorry I couldn't resist

Edited by Stromrider (10/26/13 01:06 PM)

Offlinehgmstl
Dough boy
 User Gallery

Re: PMP theory/idea tek, thoughts and concerns [Re: Stromrider]
    #19036482 - 10/26/13 04:35 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Prove us wrong with a grow that is not "sub par"

--------------------
Yo yo yo

Offlineblojo02184
Big Red
Male User Gallery

Re: PMP theory/idea tek, thoughts and concerns [Re: Stromrider]
    #19036489 - 10/26/13 04:37 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I'm thinking along the lines of maybe fan it out once in awhile for the drop and raise in rh.

Again, the lid is tyvek, so as to keep moisture in the tub.

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Trusted Cultivator
    #19036644 - 10/26/13 05:14 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Tyvek won't keep in enough RH.

Just go with something simpler. You're seriously making more work and costing yourself more money for a smaller yield. That makes sense to you?

I know you wanna experiment, but they have been done. Just look it up. There's a million different automated systems with all kinds of different equipment, and none of them can out-perform a box with some holes in it.

Anyone who's tried it for long enough will say the same, I promise.

Keep in mind that there is no verification when someone writes a TEK. It looks all nice and they use the right terms and people assume it's perfect when it's usually some guy who got lucky once or twice and then decided to do a writeup.

Also, if you still have to fan, you're definitely wasting your time and materials. The point of a PMP is that you leave it alone.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nibiru Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #19036978 - 10/26/13 06:28 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Those clay pebbles are not an easy workaround to perlite. I'm speaking from personal experience.

I tried the PMP with some success and modified it to try and increase performance.

I concluded that standing water with air bubbles blowing through it was not a good way to create high RH. I guess if you have enough bubbles then you could get it up. I made some modifications to create this.

I also concluded that it's not enough to get the RH up by making more bubbles. The air has to be able to escape as well. Blowing in more air with the pump was not the same as FAE. The air has to actually exchange. My attempts at creating FAE dropped my RH.

Tyvek will allow for gas exchange, but not to the degree that you will get the FAE you need for fruiting.

So I got a bigger pump. This seemed to help. But it was loud and didn't really seem to help with my yields. The cakes will still dry out if you don't mist.

Sometimes it's good to get on the bandwagon because it's going where you want to go. I don't know why people hate the bandwagon so much. Is it hauling the box or something?

--------------------
The Basics
A little civility goes a long way

The Noob Forum
The Hammock Hangers' Forum

Offlineanon887
Stranger
    #19037777 - 10/26/13 08:48 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Stromrider said:
Sure it wouldn't have just been a lot easier to build a sgfc or do bulk in a monotub? :lol:

Sorry I couldn't resist

There are other reasons. It's not all about how easier or time-proven a method is.. I think it would be better to suggestion people go for greenhouse/humidifier route if they are thinking about PMP. It's more close to what we want then a mono or sgfc; and is easy to workout then PMP.

Quote:

hgmstl said:

I will. PMP is just not liked around here because none of the teks provide the right environment. And to get there on a PMP is not as easy as drilling more holes or misting.

After my run with this SFD, which I already am having doubts about the amount of exchange it provides. It seems to spin the air inside the tub more then exchange it.

Next run, I will be doing a mono-tub type thing. Add polyfilled-holes at the bottom and then using some window type screen - create a polyfill filter to cover my fan port.

Offlinehgmstl
Dough boy
 User Gallery

Re: PMP theory/idea tek, thoughts and concerns [Re: anon887]
    #19038313 - 10/26/13 10:25 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

anon887 said:
Quote:

Stromrider said:

Sorry I couldn't resist

There are other reasons. It's not all about how easier or time-proven a method is.. I think it would be better to suggestion people go for greenhouse/humidifier route if they are thinking about PMP. It's more close to what we want then a mono or sgfc; and is easy to workout then PMP.

Quote:

hgmstl said:

I will. PMP is just not liked around here because none of the teks provide the right environment. And to get there on a PMP is not as easy as drilling more holes or misting.

After my run with this SFD, which I already am having doubts about the amount of exchange it provides. It seems to spin the air inside the tub more then exchange it.

Next run, I will be doing a mono-tub type thing. Add polyfilled-holes at the bottom and then using some window type screen - create a polyfill filter to cover my fan port.

Awesome I can't wait to see your posts.
I didn't mention greenhouse because I was  under the assumption bloke wanted to stay with cakes.

--------------------
Yo yo yo

Offlinetwiztidunreal
Male

#19194357 - 11/26/13 09:36 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Just to throw it out there(and i know it will be torn apart), here are a couple of shots of my version of a PMP.

I made this because it has gotten colder in my area and I needed to keep the cubes(and pan cams I have almost ready to cast)in their optimal range.  The SGFC I had was drying out too fast and not keeping the humidity where it needed to be as I don't have a closet in my room to use.  My room also has 2 a/c vents as well as a window unit(good size room, 16ft*25ft) to keep the room cooler for the most of the year.  I work a lot of long hour days, and can usually only fan/mist 2 times a day, once before and after work.  I needed something a little less maintenance.  I came up with this so far. 

I didn't use any rocks or such to put the cakes on, but suspended them about 1.5in above the water with this metal grid.  I am running a duel outlet air pump for a 60gal tank into 2-6.5in bubble bars, each with a small in-hose air filter.  I also have a tank heater in the water to keep the temp in the box as needed.  I didn't put any holes in it as the top is a split fold top, so it has constant crack in the top to let co2 out.  I've seen 90-95* humidity and 78*F temps the last 3 days i've ran it and that is way more pins on one cake in one bunch then i've ever had, and quicker since I picked the first flush.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder