Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleBaldCuban
scruffy-looking
 User Gallery

Loc: here, there, everywhere
Re: Quick Colonize with Grape Nuts
    #19018 - 05/30/00 09:57 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

Sounds good. If it were legal for me to grow P. Cubensis I would find this information useful. Were the Grape-Nuts ground up, or in their original form?

------------------
Baldy

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJDPhish
Re: Quick Colonize with Grape Nuts [Re: BaldCuban]
    #19020 - 05/31/00 03:33 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

I just left the grape nuts in their original form. Worked great, just waiting for the fruit!

- JD

Offlineberlin
    #19021 - 05/31/00 05:44 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

you might want to sterilize your jar lid somehow before you put it on, just to be safe. just boil it at least.

OfflineJDPhish
    #19022 - 05/31/00 07:20 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

Well, it was the first time that I did it, and the jar was new from the box, so i figured it was clean. Also, the lid was partially on when I put it in the microwave, so the whole thing was nuked, I figured anything living on it was dead ( :cool: mu-ha-ha-ha).

Anonymous

#19023 - 06/01/00 08:44 AM (23 years, 9 months ago)

Grape Nuts - The breakfast of champignons!

------------------
Visit the Spore Lab at: http://www.sunshine.net/www/1700/sn1730
It's a trip you'll never forget!

Anonymous

#19024 - 06/01/00 09:57 AM (23 years, 9 months ago)

Hey JD, what kind of strain did you use?
Temp you kept the jars in etc.....

------------------
I get by with a little help from my friends....

OfflineJDPhish
    #19025 - 06/01/00 04:41 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

Well, a friend of mine originally got a syringe from PF, that's all I really know. I'm not sure of the strain, just that it's from PF. This friend grew some 'shrooms with it and then took a cap, got a spore print, and made a lot of spore water.

I'm not sure of the exact temperature he left the jar with Grape Nuts at, it was in the bottom, locking drawer of his desk thing. I don't really remember how long it was colonizing for.

I do remember seeing a little mycelium around the rim of the jar, but the Grape Nuts never looked white. When I opened it and smelled it, it smelled like mushrooms and wine, which i just assumed was the carbohydrates in the Grape Nuts fermenting.

When my friend cased it all, mycelium creeped up to the top of the casing. That's when he added some sterilized peat moss. However, the peat moss soon got a weird color too it, but the mycelium seem to have no problem and engulfed this week contamination.

All in all, it was extremely simple. I think if my friend sterilized the peat moss better, he wounldn't have had any problem, but it's not like he had a problem anyways. It seems like a good way to do some bulk growing.

- JD

Offlinebrainnoise
journeyman
    #19026 - 06/01/00 05:53 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

Hey.. your BATCH IS CONTAMINATED.. this means it is not good.. that fermenting smell can make you pretty sick.. it should smell mushroomy.. just mushroomy.. and that's it..
throw it out.. start over.

------------------
To see the light is not enough.. brainnoise

OfflineJDPhish
    #19027 - 06/01/00 06:22 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

I figured that too, but there was no harm in seeing what happens. Now my friend has a casing that doesn't smell like wine at all, it smells distinctly, and ONLY, like mushrooms.

- JD

Anonymous

#19028 - 06/02/00 10:06 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

Hey JD, I don't know if you read the post on 5150 using insects in his cakes, but what my friend is thinking of doing is using your Grape Nuts idea and putting some insects in the mix. Should be an interesting combination. Post some pics when your friends casing starts to fruit...

------------------
I get by with a little help from my friends....

OfflineJDPhish
    #19029 - 06/02/00 10:22 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

As soon as I find someone with a digital camera, I'll post some pics of my friends casing . . . By the way, who is the person using insects? That might be an interesting project, sounds like the results would be great! I did read a little about the insects thing, and it looked pretty cool.

- JD

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds