Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Band Biography
    #1896484 - 09/08/03 11:28 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I'd just like some feedback on this. I'm trying to write a good, natural-flowing biography for my band, but I think I suck at it. It's for a press kit that will be going everywhere, so I want to make it extra good. For those who are unfamiliar, a biography should be less than a page, describing the band's sound and history and plans, in a well written, flowing and concise manner.

http://www.geocities.com/skultamaphon

Skultamaphon Biography

Skultamaphon is an intense heavy metal quartet based out of Northern Virginia. Our music is a progressive blend of hard-driven rhythms, catchy melodies, head-banging tempos, complex and dynamic sounds, with a constant flowing energy. The music is powerfully potent, mysteriously entrancing, distinctive and original...delivered with focused precision, power and skill. Skultamaphon settles for nothing less than Masterpiece Symphonies of Metal.

The connection was formed in the summer of 1996, in a dusky basement in Falls Church, Virginia. Four young friends and visionary musicians with a love for heavy metal, converged together with the collective goal of creating mind-blowing music. Over the years we have remained dedicated to our art, with the ultimate goal of sparking the Metal Revolution, that is, the revitalization and promotion of real metal, that anyone can jam out to. It is not, however, regurgitated songs from metal bands of the past, but an original blend of distinctive, genuinely creative metal. We have dealt with many hard situations in the past six years together.. from losing two drummers, to long distances apart.. which led to many struggles just to continue practicing and keep the band going. Today, the situation is much better, and with a new drummer and long-time friend on board, we are actively rehearsing and playing shows. The main vice remains the lack of funds to record a long overdue album, but that will not hold us back.. we will always move forward with passion and confidence in our music.

Skultamaphon will always stay true to their roots. At the current moment, we are primarily focused on playing shows in the Washington DC area, with plans to record our debut album this winter! (Finally) We are fully charged, and ready to explode onto the scene! With three albums of material already composed, and more being consistently created, there is sure to be no end of metal madness in the near future. We will take it all the way. Thanks to the world-wide-web, Skultamaphon has obtained fans across the globe; from Japan to Brazil, and all across the U.S. With each show we gain more and more exposure. We intend to continue playing shows, in an ever-expanding spiral across the east coast, until we are prepared to go on a full tour, with an album to take with us. You are the catalyst which makes it happen, and so we salute you. Much remains in store for our illustrious group, this is but the beginning. Join the Metalution!!

~ Skultamaphon
Promoting the Revolution since 1996

So... anyone who is familiar with band bios and the like.. advice? comments? revisions?? word changes? Should it be in 3rd person? Anything to take out or add in? We need your help.. thanks!!!

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMiddlemanM

Re: Band Biography [Re: Shroomism]
    #1897174 - 09/09/03 03:55 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

that is very well written, but i would go w/ 3rd person.

from www.indie-music.com:

1. Don't worry about writing a book. One page or even a few paragraphs is fine. In fact, most people don't want to read any more than that.

2. Do emphasize your strong points while minimizing areas where you lack. If you have played gigs with well known bands, be sure to list it. If you haven't played many gigs, don't bother mentioning the fact. Go on to your recording, or your other musical experience. Also, while it's OK to "hype" a little bit, never tell any out-and-out lies or make a boast you might not be able to come through on. It will come back to haunt you, and then you will lose all credibility in the reader's eyes. Not to mention these music people talk to each other...and HOW!

3. Do use your band's letterhead to write it on. (You DO have a logo and letterhead, right?) Be consistent in your entire promo package with the image, logo, etc.

4. Don't say your band's music is "not able to be classified". Aside from the fact that a million other bands say the same thing, the music industry contact reading your bio wants and NEEDS to know who you are comparable to. For instance, if someone recommends a movie to you, you probably need to know if it's a horror flick, a romance or whatever before you decide if you want to see it.

5. Do use humor or slight sarcasm if it fits your band's image. But avoid the temptation to go overboard. A bit of humor can make a low budget press kit seem better. Too much is a loser. Also, some types of bands fit into a niche that is more open to humor. Just make sure what you say will not offend anyone.

6. Don't, repeat, DO NOT say you are the coolest, best, or greatest band around, or anything even remotely close to it. Music Industry people want to decide for themselves if you are good or not. Avoid the flowery adjectives.

7. Do list the band's major musical influences. This goes along with trying to give the person an idea of what you sound like. It can work great to come up with a unique description of your music. For instance, Indiana guitarist Michael Kelsey describes his music as "Progressive, aggressive acoustic music".

8. Unless your band has former members of Aerosmith and Van Halen in it, it's probably not a good idea to do one of those story bios. "John was playing in Joe's band until the singer quit. Then John met Steve, who was playing with the Nobodys. They formed a band called The Losers. When the drummer quit, they changed their name to The New Losers", etc. This is irrelevant and, well, boring. Not to mention it shows your lack of ability to keep a band together. It is OK to use an interesting line or two about how the band got started, or how songs are written. It's also OK to add any interesting facts, like maybe your band donates all proceeds from their cassette sales to charity.

9. Of course you want to list all your major accomplishments. Any recordings, awards, education, or whatever.

10. A quick concise listing of each member is good. Sometimes you can do fun things with this like a listing of each members' favorite drink, or other non-relevant stuff. But make sure it works. Nobody really cares what your favorite anything is, so it has to be part of a humorous image. If any members have played in well known bands, it's good to mention it here, but don't make a big deal out of it.

11. You may use a different version of your bio depending on who will be receiving it. For instance, a record label and a club booking agent might need different info to decide if you interest them. A record label wants to know you have it all together: music, business, a fan base, songwriting, etc. A club agent is mostly concerned with whether you have a following that will bring paying business to his club.

12. Do make absolutely sure you have your address and phone number (and your e-mail and website URL, if applicable) listed prominently. This goes for all items in your press kit. Name, address, and number on EVERYTHING. (Demo tape included!)

13. Read other bands' bios. Compare and rewrite. Have other people read and comment on what you write. Make sure it is grammatically correct, with no typos. If you really feel yourself lacking in this area, consider hiring someone to write your bio for you. A good bio is part of the press kit that forms the first impression of your band. Don't mess it up.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Band Biography [Re: Middleman]
    #1897203 - 09/09/03 04:27 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Nah, don't worry about going to third person, it is great as it stands.

No one else can really get across the passion for your music as you have, writing from an outside point of view doesn't make sense.

Have you checked out http://www.getsigned.com ? They have all sorts of good advice in different catergories by people in the business.. and there is a lot of stuff on press kits, biographies, and basically everything you need to know.

Anyways, can't wait to hear your cd, man. When I return from Norway and my band is put together, and we are ready to go on tour.. maybe we can get in touch? :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Band Biography [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1897507 - 09/09/03 08:29 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks guys.. it was actually originally in third person but the guitarist thought it would be better in first.. I might switch it back. I've read the bio building things on both get-signed and indie-music.. which helped me with this one. As well as reading other band's bios to compare.. that's the stage I'm at now.. trying to find similar bands that aren't super famous (with 5 page bios).
Cool.. well I think I covered most of the basics.. now for some tuning and tweaking..
Fireworks.. we can definately get in touch.. I'd be happy to go on tour with you :laugh: Hopefully we will be on tour with Opeth or something by then. Tommorow we open for Death Angel. 

--------------------

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#1898513 - 09/09/03 02:25 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

WoW Death Angel?

i used to listen to Act III religiously back in the day.
is that the show your recording? PFC.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1900432 - 09/09/03 10:16 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I like 3rd person. I did my little bio in 3rd person and I think it's better that way.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Band Biography [Re: Middleman]
    #1900784 - 09/10/03 12:00 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yes Death Angel! I am excited.. our first show opening for a real (established) band. I'll be sure to get drunk with them and perhaps an autograph or two.. Yes, it's the show we are recording.
Plus there is going to be a guy there from this new magazine in Alexandria, Va..called the Lost Underworld.. they review metal bands and interview them and stuff.. he's going to interview us and we're going to be in his mag next month next to Nile and Dying Fetus! Woo!
PFC = ??

Congrats on making mod for this forum btw!

--------------------

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1902947 - 09/10/03 01:30 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Congratulations Shroomism!!!!!! :thumbup:

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#1908713 - 09/12/03 04:58 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

^^^^^^^ got me into the party...

thanks for noticing, Shroomism! dude! it's Pretty Fukin Cool.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1909185 - 09/12/03 10:30 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Fireworks.. we can definately get in touch.. I'd be happy to go on tour with you :laugh: Hopefully we will be on tour with Opeth or something by then. Tommorow we open for Death Angel. 

Dude, it is fucking awesome that you guys are getting the name out there, and especially being in that magazine next to Nile, they are pretty fucking interesting..

It won't be for about another year before I return to the United States and the band is put back together for full-time.. Lost time will definitely be made up, however. There is something truly original, damn melodic and heavy, and truly potent brewing in my mind.. heh

But yeah, a gig with Opeth would be fucking great! I can't wait until the day we are opening for IN FLAMES, that is all I want as far as I am concerned.. :grin: Either that, or Peter Iwers to leave the band like right before I am returning to the United States, and I take a quick trip to Gothenburg and get the gig... wouldn't THAT be sweet! I'll give them a big kick in the fucking ass...
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Band Biography [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1912466 - 09/13/03 11:36 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Funny you should mention that... my friend, happens to know very well one of the guys from Slipknot (who I don't really care for..but that's beside the point)..the guy from Slipknot knows one of the guys from In Flames..they are good friends.. ching ching!

But yeah.. at the show this wednesday.. Death Angel got there late and their soundcheck took 2 fucking hours.. and since we were the opening band.. the venue cut us. Who cares though.. we talked to all the other bands, and they like our shit, and want to hook up some gigs with us. The band touring with Death Angel.. Liquid Violence.. they are playing a few shows along the east coast with Shadows Fall and they need an opening band for like 6 shows, and asked us if we want to do it.. we said fuck yeah.. so I'm just waiting to hear from one of them.

Opeth and In Flames... the ultimate goal. Right on man!

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1912709 - 09/13/03 01:04 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I remember hearing about the Slipknot/IN FLAMES connection, it got them some concerts with them awhile back..

I am also really interested in that picture of IN FLAMES and Metallica drinking together, they opened for them in I think Spain not too long ago. Anyways, I got an email from metallica.com last night, they are going on a tour here in Europe with the first two nights in Oslo, so I am definitely going to go and check that out. I wouldn't be surprised to see IN FLAMES open up for them, I am sort of counting on it, because I know that they are working on an album right now and that might be possible tour time for them..

Right now I have only been working in Guitar Pro, since I am without a bass, but only for about a week or two. I will definitely be ready to front this fucking awesome band on my return to the States..

But yeah, I'll keep in touch, and the best of luck to ya, man!
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder