Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
Positive affirmations
    #1896216 - 09/08/03 10:14 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

My friend was telling me how somebody recommended postive affirmations to her and she was sceptical so anyway, she was getting a new bank card and she decided to tell herself that she would get a pin number that was really easy to remember. Anyway when the pin came it was 1111. So I had a go telling myself "my life is rich and fulfilling" and damned if I didn't have the most rich and fulfilling period of my life. Then I stopped saying it, and it became less rich and fulfilling. Anyone else had any experiences with this? I am going to get pummelled by the sceptics now.

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: Positive affirmations [Re: enotake2]
    #1896321 - 09/08/03 10:34 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I am going to get pummelled by the sceptics now.

*Opens door.* In walks Swami. Bwa ha ha ha!!!!!!!

Seriously, I suspect it's true, but I can't prove it and don't have much experience with it. If you can get those thoughts to penetrate into the subconscious I do think they would have an effect. I just got finished reading a book called "Three Magic Words" that go into this quite a bit. I haven't really digested it yet so I'm afraid I can't speak to it. Maybe I will do some experimenting with it and report back.

Film at eleven..

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #1896353 - 09/08/03 10:40 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Should I start the Swami Positive Affirmation Challenge? We can all affirm that we will receive a shiny new, red Ferrari within 3 months and then at the end of the time period we can tally up the cars.

Too difficult? Probably half or more of us wear glasses. Let's all affirm that our eyesight is improving daily then share our latest optometric eye test to show the fantastic improvement.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Swami (09/08/03 11:59 PM)

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
Re: Positive affirmations [Re: Swami]
    #1896542 - 09/08/03 11:49 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Well, my affirmation that I was going to be pummelled by the sceptics came true....

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #1896551 - 09/08/03 11:52 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Positive affirmations work because our thoughts create our reality.

Every thought is imprinted onto the subconscious. Make them fulfilling and your mind will strive to reach the goal.

May I suggest Psycho-Cybernetics, a book which deals with this very issue in a very enlightening manner.

--------------------

OfflineRastafari
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1896571 - 09/08/03 11:59 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

skeptics are demonstrations of positive affirmations in progress

only opposite

they keep looking for faults and they find them!

I beleive that positive words are very very good for you

St. Francis of Assisi would say

"Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace"

chanting positive words is an important part of every religion and pagan tradition... it reminds you of your virtues and you will definitely remember them if they are in your mind.

I think you have to put heart into it though...which would you feel more;

"I want a hot-rod i want a hot-rod"

"I want people to not suffer so much"

i think the intensity of heart you put into it is valuable..

material posessions dont really make us happy or fulfilled so making affirmations about them is kind of like asking for candy when we are dying of thirst

--------------------
I&I

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
Re: Positive affirmations *DELETED* [Re: enotake2]
    #1896572 - 09/09/03 12:00 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by CleverName

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

OfflineRastafari
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Positive affirmations [Re: Shroomism]
    #1896575 - 09/09/03 12:00 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:

Every thought is imprinted onto the subconscious. Make them fulfilling and your mind will strive to reach the goal.

May I suggest Psycho-Cybernetics, a book which deals with this very issue in a very enlightening manner.

never heard of the book but I agree with what you said so I might check that out, thanks.

--------------------
I&I

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1896580 - 09/09/03 12:01 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Uh huh. More parroting from a book. If positive affirmations are so darn powerful and you are speaking from experience, why is your living situation currently so precarious?

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1896587 - 09/09/03 12:03 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

If you call that pummeling then you have led a very sheltered life. :smile: 

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1896594 - 09/09/03 12:05 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Because I made it that way. And then I changed it. See, I was doing negative affirmations for a long while, and my reality reflected it like a charm. I changed my attitude, and my life changed.

--------------------

OfflineRastafari
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Positive affirmations [Re: CleverName]
    #1896596 - 09/09/03 12:06 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

CleverName said:
Everything you do makes a difference. Every thought you think, every comment you make, every action you take, in some way will change things for you and your world.

You move through life, leaving consequences in your wake. And the quality of life is determined largely by the nature of those consequences. Even the smallest things make a difference. And those small things can quickly add up.

That's why your attitude and your outlook on life truly matter so much. Because they have a powerful influence over what kind of difference you are making, in the big decisions and the small ones too.

See the world as a beautiful place, filled with positive possibilities. And without even realizing it, your actions, your thoughts, your consequences will take on the color of that positive perspective.

Everything, every moment, every person, every stirring in your heart matters. Let yourself love and value life, and be overjoyed at the positive difference that each of your moments can make.

Very wise words.

I remember a holy man or woman who was saying that the wake behind the boat does not make it go

so what you are saying is on point... although we do leave a wake behind us, our "attitude and your outlook on life truly matter so much." (CleverName said that)

or others say that all we can affect is the now, not the past or the future...

Positive Affirmations are english translations to ancient Mantras (divine syllables and names of god) or Hebrew chanting, good reggae music

to remind ourselfs of our beleifs is definitely motivation to correct our mistakes and overcome obstacles! food for the soul

--------------------
I&I

OfflineRastafari
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1896602 - 09/09/03 12:08 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:

Uh huh. More parroting from a book. If positive affirmations are so darn powerful and you are speaking from experience, why is your living situation currently so precarious?

you know this guy personally swami? there exists people out there breathing the same air we do, who have pure minds and are free from precarious living

mantra japa swami, mantra japa (positive affirmations)

--------------------
I&I

OfflineRastafari
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1896608 - 09/09/03 12:10 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Because I made it that way. And then I changed it. See, I was doing negative affirmations for a long while, and my reality reflected it like a charm. I changed my attitude, and my life changed.

so true! our minds always look for faults and because of that we identify ourselfs as mistake makers

but most all of the scriptures teach us that there is no sin, only obstacles we create for ourselfs... and they also tell us to identify ourselfs with god. lose our personal history...
people who say "im going to hell anyways" continue to make mistakes but mistakes are ment to be learned from !

--------------------
I&I

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1896609 - 09/09/03 12:10 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I guess all 3000 WTC victims were practicing negative affirmations at the same time then...

If positive affirmations actually worked, it would be easy to design a large-scale objective test to validate. Of course no one will participate (negative affirmation).

--------------------

OfflineRastafari
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1896628 - 09/09/03 12:18 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Mantra Japa Swami, Mantra Japa.

--------------------
I&I

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1896637 - 09/09/03 12:20 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I thought I was a victim...boo hoo.. woe is me.. feh!
There are no victims.

Here's a test.. tell yourself everyday when you wake up, that you are stupid, ugly, worthless, and not worthy of living. Then report how you feel after a week or two.

Affirmations have nothing to do with what material things you can manifest or not.. it has to do with your own thoughts, and how you choose to project them onto the external world. If you want a shiny new ferrari.. then you'll work and save to afford one. However, in order to do that, you need to affirm that you are capable of it. Your thought creates your reality.

If I sit in the dark all day, feeling bad about myself, and telling myself I am full of hatred and despair, and everyone hates me, and there is no way out.. I think the chances of my becoming a successful person is lowered significantly.

Death and the karmic cycle, has little to nothing to do with personal affirmations which imprint thought patterns on the subconscious mind.

--------------------

OfflineRastafari
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1896646 - 09/09/03 12:22 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

amen.

--------------------
I&I

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1896671 - 09/09/03 12:30 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Here's a test.. tell yourself everyday when you wake up, that you are stupid, ugly, worthless, and not worthy of living. Then report how you feel after a week or two.

Strawman argument. Altering your mood through psychological self-abuse is NOT the same as altering physical events with a mere "positive" thought.

--------------------

Invisibleenacid
solid funk
a [Re: Swami]
    #1896681 - 09/09/03 12:34 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

a

Edited by enacid (08/16/08 12:15 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder