Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineshr00m
junglisT 2 thefUll3st

just got an electric guitar...
    #1895658 - 09/08/03 07:26 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

not really but I bought an electric guitar off of a friend a few months ago. i never played a musical instrument in my life. so i dont know how to read notes and stuff.

anyways any pointers on how to start on the guitar? its a fender....
so yea im basically a newb to this shit. any good books to buy or stuff online?

thanks~!

--------------------
the only constant is change~ life goes on. so theres no point in staying back because you can always catch up. try,hope, and understand!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: just got an electric guitar... [Re: shr00m]
    #1896943 - 09/09/03 01:55 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

A Fender what? Strat,Tele,Jag? What country is it made in (it's on the headstock)? What kinda amp you playin?

I recommend the Guitar Handbook and The Complete Guitarist,either one is great. The both teach you the basics of playing,and other shit you need to know like basic maintenance and how guitars are put together.

While playing guitar is a hugely rewording experience,be prepared for months of frustration and sore hands and finger tips until you get some basics down.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #1897332 - 09/09/03 06:27 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

first try to learn a few easy chords. if you master them you can try an easy song and so on.
Reading notes isn't so usefull for playng guitar (imho). Rather use tablature instead.
But the best thing to do is getting a few (at least) guitarlessons because you really don't want to learn wrong style, fingersettings etc...

I'll see if I can find you some usefull links...

here's one, a chord generator.

chord generator

try practicing these (basic) open chords first:
C
D
E
Em
G
A
Am

you can see how to grab them when you generate them in the chord generator.
Don't gve up too soon, I know it's hard but it's worth the trouble :wink:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #1897517 - 09/09/03 08:35 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Practice, practice, practice
and practice some more

Fretboard Logic 1,2 & 3 are very good books.

You just want to do some research to get the basics down.. practice some chords and scales.. learn some of your favorite songs.. and go from there! Practice, practice, practice.

--------------------

Invisiblefarfelu
Stranger
    #1897542 - 09/09/03 08:48 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Most fun songs have three maybe four cords to them. Keep it simple. :thumbup: 

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: just got an electric guitar... [Re: Shroomism]
    #1897544 - 09/09/03 08:48 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

exactly: practice = key :sun:

Offlineshr00m
junglisT 2 thefUll3st

Re: just got an electric guitar... [Re: stefan]
    #1899316 - 09/09/03 05:42 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

HEY GUYS!
thanks for the help :laugh:

as for guitar lessons...I might sign up for some if I see some pop around over here. and ill be practicing the basic chords.

--------------------
the only constant is change~ life goes on. so theres no point in staying back because you can always catch up. try,hope, and understand!

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #1899620 - 09/09/03 06:34 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

After watching Pink Floyd live at Pompeii, the song Echoes made me wanna pick up my guitar again (haven't touchedit for months). What a great instrument, I wish I had more time to practise. May your finger tips become callous and precise!

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

#1899978 - 09/09/03 08:04 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah man,just learn some scales and play chords around a certain key. (C major is a good starting point) You'll learn how to form and play chords pretty quickly but it'll be awkward and your fingers won't move in synch and chord changes will be difficult.After awhile it'll just become so natural it's like your fingers have a mind of their own and you won't have to think about individual fingers.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: just got an electric guitar... [Re: monoamine]
    #1900790 - 09/10/03 12:02 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I developed some spindly alien fingers with a mind of their own... its weird watching my fingers move sometimes when I'm playing.. I'm like damn.. how did I learn how to do that.. and then do it subconsciously without even thinking about it?

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1900886 - 09/10/03 12:35 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

go with the flow :wink:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada Flag
Re: just got an electric guitar... [Re: Strumpling]
    #1901034 - 09/10/03 01:53 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

This may be a bit off topic but: USE your baby finger right from the beginning, it may be a little awkward at first, but this is all about rutting out neurological pathways, if you just use the fingers that are easy to manipulate and ignore your pinky you may experience a time lag with your smallest digit when the time comes where you DO want to play scales/riffs n' stuff.... don't bother taking lessons to learn basic chords, it's a total waste of money, just buy a chord book....Shroomism is right, practice is the ONLY way to improve, forget about sitting in the middle of a pentagram and making a pact with Satan for your soul in return for possessing chops of doom, subliminal tapes "learn how to play like Yngwie Malmsteen while you sleep" type scams....good luck :wink:

i think www.harmonycentral.com may be of help as well :smile: You may find that you can play/learn perfectly fine by ear and be able to bypass reading tabs etc, personally i think it's a waste of time "note for noting" anybody....just learn the relationships between different chords/scales and you'll be able to improvise and develop your own style :smile:

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

Edited by FreakQlibrium (09/10/03 02:00 AM)

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Re: just got an electric guitar... [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #1901697 - 09/10/03 10:09 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I agree,taking lessons is pretty dumb when you're starting out. If you have basic reading comphrehension skills just learn from a book or the web. A lot,if not most,of good guitar players are self taught. IMHO,you really only need lessons if you want to learn classical,at that would be well beyond the beginning of your guitar playing career.

--------------------
Douglas Adams

Offlineclam_dude
stranger in astrange land

Loc: twilight zone
Re: just got an electric guitar... [Re: monoamine]
    #1906614 - 09/11/03 05:05 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

If you're wondering when it will payoff, think of the guitar, or music in general like a language. It takes a while to get the basics down - chords, scales, etc... (like verbs or centence structure in English) After a while you don't have to think about each note you're playing. You can just think the sound. Like when you speak English, you just think of the idea. And that's when it really pays off. Trust me you can really express yourself through music if you get into. Also, all the hard work along the way is fun. Chords and stuff get really interesting.

--------------------
"I would like to thank god for making me an atheist" - Ricky Gervais

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder