Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinecrumblebum
The Guy Who's Really Bad At Sex

Kyriarchy: What's up with that?
    #18891122 - 09/25/13 08:47 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

per wikipedia:

"Kyriarchy ("rule by a lord"; from the Greek κύριος/kyrios "lord or master" and αρχή/arche "authority, leadership") is a social system or set of connecting social systems built around domination, oppression, and submission. The word itself is a neologism coined by Elisabeth Schüssler Fiorenza to describe interconnected, interacting, and self-extending systems of domination and submission, in which a single individual might be oppressed in some relationships and privileged in others.[1] It is an intersectional extension of the idea of patriarchy[1] beyond gender. Kyriarchy encompasses sexism, racism, economic injustice, and other forms of dominating hierarchy in which the subordination of one person or group to another is internalized and institutionalized.[2]"

So how do you change that? It's descriptive of the whole of human civilization, really. What could be done to erode it, and what could replace it?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePenelope_Tree
Shamanic Panic
 User Gallery

Loc: magic sugarcastle
Re: Kyriarchy: What's up with that? [Re: crumblebum]
    #18891298 - 09/25/13 09:28 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Being aware of it, being aware of your own behavior & intentions... probably just those two things.

--------------------
full blown human

InvisibleDisoRDeR
motional
 User Gallery

Loc: nonsensistan
    #18891591 - 09/25/13 10:19 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

As PT said, it could be slowly eroded through self-awareness.

As for replacing it, I doubt the potential for domination can be weeded out of the species.  In that case, we could try to impose an impersonal 'lord' and create rule by law.  It would be somewhat effective the extent that the law is structured around protecting people from oppression.

Isn't this what we do now (poorly)?

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male

#18891635 - 09/25/13 10:24 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

crumblebum said:

So how do you change that? It's descriptive of the whole of human civilization, really. What could be done to erode it, and what could replace it?

Kill all the humans, that would be the only way. Better not to IMO

Offlinecrumblebum

Re: Kyriarchy: What's up with that? [Re: Penelope_Tree]
    #18891645 - 09/25/13 10:26 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

My awareness of it can't possible be enough. I have very little impact. I don't oppress anyone except my cats who are assholes.

I suppose it's just a kind of final expression of the fundamental problem of the civilization we've built so far. But what can we do about it? It's so damned effective, the systems of "lordship" that have emerged. It's addictive and everyone wants it. It's the suggestion that you could some day be a lord, or within the lords circle, etc.

Do we even have reasonable alternatives? Is there any form of collectivism that can produce results that are even similar? Communism has eaten itself alive at every turn.

--------------------

InvisibleWhite Beard

Re: Kyriarchy: What's up with that? *DELETED* [Re: crumblebum]
    #18891826 - 09/25/13 10:58 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by White Beard

Reason for deletion: .

InvisiblePenelope_Tree
Shamanic Panic
 User Gallery

#18891861 - 09/25/13 11:06 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

I think Environmentalism is promising. :shrug: Or Anarchism, but not in the angsty, oppresed-by-capitalism way. Like, the we-recognize-obligations-and-don't-need-institutions-to-enforce-them sort of way.

"Nuke Humanity." :bored: C'mon guys, be creative.

--------------------
full blown human

Offlinecrumblebum

#18891880 - 09/25/13 11:14 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

As much as the "nuke everything" reply might have been meant as witty, it's actually not a terrible suggestion. A lot of the most prominent social changes have been as a result of disaster. The Renaissance owed some of its thunder to the black plague, and women's rights owe a whole lot of steam to WW2.

Hmmm. I forget where I heard it, but I read something about being a good person entailed being able to recognize where opportunities opened up for change, and that opportunistic circumstance has as much to do with change as it does motivation.

Individual "isms" provide interesting models, but the means to implement them have to come naturally or "organically". A nuclear war that wiped out 90% of humanity would be an excellent opportunity to revise humanity.

--------------------

InvisiblePenelope_Tree
Shamanic Panic
 User Gallery

#18891999 - 09/25/13 11:52 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

I sympathize that it is a much more difficult task to alter multi-level, complex systems than to "destroy" those systems. However, a "nuke 'em" mentality is a sort of "desire for lordship by means of domination and at the expense of submission & oppression" mentality like the OP seems to say is what got us here in the first place. So, you jump from the kettle and into the fire?

--------------------
full blown human

Offlinecrumblebum

#18892172 - 09/26/13 12:34 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

I don't think there'd be any intentionality in it, that wasn't exactly what I meant. I'm not saying that a catastrophic event could or should be manufactured to effect change; rather, it would take an incidental catastrophe to spurn said change.

So, not so much "nuke 'em" as "wait for them to nuke each other and then be reticent of the opportunity it presents".

Catastrophe is inevitable, and we would have to take maximum advantage of those catastrophes.

--------------------

InvisibleDisoRDeR
motional
 User Gallery

Loc: nonsensistan
    #18892389 - 09/26/13 01:56 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

crumblebum said:
My awareness of it can't possible be enough. I have very little impact.

I think the idea behind being self-aware is that by acting in such a manner we may very slowly spread a culture of self-awareness.  Any other initiatives which restructure society away from kyriarchy without resorting to relationships of domination are going to evolve out of self-awareness and take effect through democracy.  Majority rule itself poses problems though, but it seems like the most dilute form of oppression we have available.

Otherwise, yeah... effect any local change you are able to, the most local change being internal.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Kyriarchy: What's up with that? [Re: White Beard]
    #18892589 - 09/26/13 04:01 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

White Beard said:
What could be done to erode it

Lots of nukes.

and what could replace it?

Nuclear winter and cockroaches.

PT is wrong, this is the creative solution. The rest is just :whacker:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male

#18893643 - 09/26/13 11:35 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Penelope_Tree said:

"Nuke Humanity." :bored: C'mon guys, be creative.

:lolsy:

There is no hope for humanity changing its ways, unless it were enslaved in some way through nanobots and AI maybe. So I guess things could get worse

OfflineSchmendrick
Last of the Red Hot Swamis
Male

Loc: HagsCrag, TLU Flag
Re: Kyriarchy: What's up with that? [Re: Repertoire89]
    #18893761 - 09/26/13 12:15 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

My awareness of it can't possible be enough. I have very little impact. I don't oppress anyone except my cats who are assholes.

We are all oppressors on some level, just as we are all oppressed.  As a member of a first-world civilization, almost every action you take on a daily basis involves using energy and consuming some product or other.  You use far more energy than your fair share from a global perspective, as does everyone in the "civilized" world.  This energy usage and consumption requires fuel and raw materials which we appropriate from poorer countries through strong-arm tactics and government-level deals which do not benefit the average citizen of those countries.  We use their fuel and resources and give nothing in return to the citizens.  The quality of life of people in those countries suffers because of our decadent over-abundance.  To those people, we are all very much "the oppressors"; even your cats.

Edited by Schmendrick (09/26/13 12:17 PM)

Offlinecrumblebum

Re: Kyriarchy: What's up with that? [Re: Schmendrick]
    #18893910 - 09/26/13 12:55 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Schmendrick said:
Quote:

We are all oppressors on some level, just as we are all oppressed.  As a member of a first-world civilization, almost every action you take on a daily basis involves using energy and consuming some product or other.  You use far more energy than your fair share from a global perspective, as does everyone in the "civilized" world.  This energy usage and consumption requires fuel and raw materials which we appropriate from poorer countries through strong-arm tactics and government-level deals which do not benefit the average citizen of those countries.  We use their fuel and resources and give nothing in return to the citizens.  The quality of life of people in those countries suffers because of our decadent over-abundance.  To those people, we are all very much "the oppressors"; even your cats.

Especially my cats, the assholes.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #18893978 - 09/26/13 01:17 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

We are all oppressors on some level, just as we are all oppressed. 

Oh I agree.  That's why I just go about my business trying to have all the fun I can in any way I can. :nicesmile:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlineviktor
psychotechnician
Male User Gallery

Loc: New Zealand Flag
    #18893987 - 09/26/13 01:20 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Schmendrick said:
Quote:

It's only oppression if I suffer from it though. If I benefit then they deserve to be oppressed.

--------------------
"They consider me insane but I know that I am a hero living under the eyes of the gods."

OfflineMemories
 User Gallery

Loc: Suwannee River
    #18895923 - 09/26/13 08:44 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Schmendrick said:
Quote:

The poor countries choose to produce our goods because it is better than their shit alternatives.

OfflineMemories
 User Gallery

Loc: Suwannee River
    #18895928 - 09/26/13 08:45 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

crumblebum said:
per wikipedia:

"Kyriarchy ("rule by a lord"; from the Greek κύριος/kyrios "lord or master" and αρχή/arche "authority, leadership") is a social system or set of connecting social systems built around domination, oppression, and submission. The word itself is a neologism coined by Elisabeth Schüssler Fiorenza to describe interconnected, interacting, and self-extending systems of domination and submission, in which a single individual might be oppressed in some relationships and privileged in others.[1] It is an intersectional extension of the idea of patriarchy[1] beyond gender. Kyriarchy encompasses sexism, racism, economic injustice, and other forms of dominating hierarchy in which the subordination of one person or group to another is internalized and institutionalized.[2]"

I think you need these types of systems to promote trade which in turn promotes prosperity.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale