Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
Question to mjshroomer about Gartz's book
    #1883153 - 09/04/03 09:46 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Hi John. In a local headshop, I saw a copy of the English translation of Gartz's Magic Mushrooms Around the World, and I am considering getting it. I wanted to ask here at the shroomery if someone might have it and be willing to trade. I will wait a week or so and if no one replies to me offering the book, then I will consider buying it at the headshop.

I had no idea about the legal situation regarding the translation. It makes me wonder how accurate the translation can be, considering that Claudia Taake is probably not a professional mycologist and from the looks of it she only did the translation for the money.

John, have you personally read the English translation (the one illustrated in the second picture of your last post replying to me)? That is the one that I found at the headshop. If you have read it, then I'd like your opinion about its accuracy and the quality of the translation. If it's riddled with errors, then I won't waste my money on it. While perusing the book at the store, I found the anecdotes very interesting. For instance, I learned that semilanceata can sometimes be found in forest clearings located near streams, where deer might graze. Until then I assumed that they grew only in private cow pastures.

Since the book is in the local shop, the publisher has already received the money for that copy, so even if I buy it then Claudia Taake will not make any additional money off Jochen's work. In other words, I will not be helping Claudia in any way by purchasing the copy from the local shop, because the book is out of print and therefore the shop will not be able to order anything more from Claudia. I figure that since she already got paid for the copy, I might as well profit from the information if it's accurate.

Let me know, thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Question to mjshroomer about Gartz's book [Re: megaman3]
    #1884308 - 09/05/03 08:05 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

THe translation is pretty acutrate but as I mentioned this woman cheated gartz out of every penny of profit fromthe book spenidning the money to support her salary and pay her family expenses besides making Gartz pay for the complete book. The newer Narrenschw?mme edition from Raymond Martin Verlag is an excellent one and the color photos are unbelieveable. The magic mushrooms around the World had the worst color reproduction. I actually have the press release copy and the color was perfect. She used that to get the moeny from Gartz for printing and then printed on bad press and bad color. the text is also mostly form many of my articles and conversations with gartz and he gave me a halfway decent credit in the book.

I say buy it while it is stilla t the store. There where only five thousand coipies printed and it may not be reprinted in English for sweveral years.

His german one will soon be republished in an even more expanded better condition.

I would agree it is 80% accurate but there are errors inthe book, buit from Gartz, not form Claudia. although some translation and meaning ois lost by her since she is not a mycologists. When i met her in 1994 i did not like her or her personallity at ll but did not say anything about my feelings to Gartz. Later when i critizied the poor color phot wuality she threatened to sue me for slander, and I caught her in a lier when she said homestead books never offered to carry her book but David Tatelman, CEO and founder of Homestead showed me her letter to them offering him the books, which she never sent.

mj

She lied to Gartz about it and now he has a german lawyer in america trying to recover his moeney. He calls her the Witch of Los Angeles.

mj
mj

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale