Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGuyDebord
Situationist

Mushroom ID Request, Northern Idaho near Canada -- Psilocybe Pelliculosa? / Gymnopilus?
    #18777411 - 08/30/13 01:47 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

ID #1 -- Psilocybe pelliculosa? or some Paneolous species?

CAP -- some convex some flatter, dark brown to light brown.  seems like the smaller ones are convex and they grow out when older.  i only found one smaller one that had grown out with flatter edges.  the wet ones I found have more of a classic paneolous look.  some golden when dried.  a couple had a flat top… some others had a smooth top… maybe a different mushroom, but they printed similarly…

GILLS -- some dark brown with some black, some lighter brown.

STALK -- is curvy, no stipe.

SPORE PRINT -- purplish black, ink jet black, the couple that dried more golden had a bit of yellow around the edges of the print, so again, maybe those are different mushrooms?  also, some had a bit of brown in the print, but only a few and not much brown… maybe a dark chocolate. 

HABITAT -- grew in little clusters and alone on lawn in Northern Idaho… they were taken off of a public lawn, but I can imagine they were grown in manure as they were well manicured.  :smile:  Another positive ID for these psilocybe pelliculosa mushrooms came from the same lake in Idaho...

difference between caps --

caps and prints.  notice the more conical cap in the middle printed more yellow at the outsides along with the jet black in the middle of the print --

prints and fresh ones --

fresh ones of all kinds (possibly the same kind!) --

ID #2 -- Gymnopilus?

CAP --  flat and then curve down at the edges.  when dried, the curve had a more patterned wrinkly texture than the top, which had longer wrinkles.  dark brown to light brown with even some black on the edges.

GILLS -- criss and cross like fire.  they were yellow and orange and brown when fresh, brown and blackish and orange when dried.

STALK -- curved out from the rotted wood.  no stipe other than a break between the kind of fury almost moss like covering on the stem (which is a dark brown/black) and the gills, which start on the stem.

SPORE PRINT -- is rusty orange, a tingle of yellow, and brown.  it made an almost airbrush type print, only showing the gill marks near the edge… the edge turns a slightly green light brown with the inside being rusty-orangey.

HABITAT -- growing on rotting fallen tree in the forest of Northern Idaho, almost in Canada.

fresh from the top --

fresh top and gills --

dried gills --

dried gills plus stalk where stalk meets gills on the stalk --

dried (veil?) --

spore print, rusty-orange brown --

Thank you in advance, mushroom masters!

Edited by GuyDebord (08/30/13 03:15 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeann
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Florida
Re: Mushroom ID Request, Northern Idaho near Canada -- Paneolous / Gymnopilus ? [Re: GuyDebord]
    #18777446 - 08/30/13 01:52 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Im not sure about the first species but it looks real cool. I think your alleged gymnopilus could be a lactarius species. Try comparing.

OfflineGuyDebord
Situationist

Re: Mushroom ID Request, Northern Idaho near Canada -- Paneolous / Gymnopilus ? [Re: Seann]
    #18777503 - 08/30/13 02:02 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks -- you're awesome, Seann!  In my comparison of the possible gym to possible lactarius, I notice rings around the lactarius caps, which I do not see in these caps.  In ID #2 the stalks are very curved with an almost fury kind of stalk reaching to the gills.  It is possible it is just a different kind of lactarius than I have found pictured online though... but it doesn't have any ringing in the cap in ID #2 as is found in lactarius photos.  Also, I didn't notice any "milky fluid" when breaking the mushrooms at all.  The spore print of ID#2 is rusty-orange brown, which seems more like a gym print than what I've found of lactarius prints.  I'm not sure and still kind of a newbie, but slowly learning from lots of reading on here.  Thanks very much for the quick response already, Seann!  You are probably right about the ID, but I'm just really trying to confirm (especially as I read orange gills can be poisonous... so want to know before I chomp into these lactarius... and also, because I'd love it if they turned out to gyms).  :wink:

Edited by GuyDebord (08/30/13 03:26 PM)

OfflineGuyDebord
Situationist

Re: Mushroom ID Request, Northern Idaho near Canada -- Paneolous / Gymnopilus ? [Re: GuyDebord]
    #18791294 - 09/02/13 06:30 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Anyone on the first kind of mushroom?

Thank you so much!!

InvisibleGravija
Make way for the cavalcade
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #18791333 - 09/02/13 06:37 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

The first one is a mixture with some Panaeolus in it and possibley even some Psathyrella. The second is Tapinella atrotomentosa.

--------------------
Listen to my music

Here

Edited by Gravija (09/02/13 08:47 PM)

OfflineGuyDebord
Situationist

Re: Mushroom ID Request, Northern Idaho near Canada -- Paneolous / Gymnopilus ? [Re: Gravija]
    #18791528 - 09/02/13 07:18 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you Gravija!!  You are a mushroom genius.  You are right on with Tapinella atrotomentosa in ID #2.  :smile:  Is there any way to determine what kind of Panaeolus it is in ID #1 without a microscope?  Some of the prints are pure black and some are black with brown in them... So maybe foenisecii?

Thank you again for your genius and cheers.

OfflineGuyDebord
Situationist

#18791568 - 09/02/13 07:26 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

The prints look jet back, but on some, where they get lighter, you can see some brown maybe

InvisibleGravija
Make way for the cavalcade
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #18791948 - 09/02/13 08:48 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

It does look like a mixed collection. Some Panaeolus and Panaeolina and Maybe even some Psathyrella. Its hard to tell when you don't separate the species.

--------------------
Listen to my music

Here

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract