Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineFileSoup
What are Libertarian ideals/views?
    #1875911 - 09/02/03 09:45 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I have heard a lot of people on these boards say they are Libertarians. I'm not really sure what that means. Where do Libertarians stand on major issues?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
Re: What are Libertarian ideals/views? [Re: FileSoup]
    #1875924 - 09/02/03 09:48 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Libertarians oppose the initiation of force to achieve political or social goals. Follow this to its logical conclusion to determine the proper Libertarian stance on issues.

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

OfflineFileSoup
Re: What are Libertarian ideals/views? [Re: Autonomous]
    #1876035 - 09/02/03 10:36 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

What about domestic issues? Tax cuts? Abortion? Drugs? Guns? Health Care? etc...

OfflineFileSoup
    #1876107 - 09/02/03 11:03 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Well I am going to answer my own question now...

What is the Libertarian Party?

The Libertarian Party is your pro-freedom choice in American politics. We exist to create a renewed vigor to the long-cherished American ideals of liberty and personal responsibility.

America's Heritage

As an American, freedom is your heritage. Libertarians recognize the responsibility we all share to preserve this precious heritage for our children and grandchildren -- and we recognize that this commitment must live in our actions

Free and Independent

Libertarians believe that being free and independent is a great way to live. We want a system which encourages all people to choose what they want from life; that lets them live, love, work, play and dream their own way.

Caring for People

The Libertarian way is a caring, people-centered approach to politics. We believe each individual is unique. We want a system which respects the individual and encourages us to discover the best within ourselves and develop our full potential.

Principled; Consistent

The Libertarian way is a logically consistent approach to politics based on the moral principle of self-ownership. Each individual has the right to control his or her own body, action, speech and property. Government's only role is to help individuals defend themselves from force and fraud.

Tolerant

The Libertarian Party is for all who don't want to push other people around and don't want to be pushed around themselves. Live and let live is the Libertarian way.

America's Third Largest Political Party

The Libertarian Party is America's third largest and fastest growing political party. Libertarians engage in a variety of projects, working for everyone's liberty on every issue.

The Libertarian Party was created in December of 1971 by people who realized that the politicians had strayed from America's original libertarian foundation, with disastrous results. Their vision was the same as that of America's founders; a world where individuals are free to follow their own dreams in their own ways, a world of peace, harmony, opportunity and abundance.

Libertarians are practical; we know we can't make the world perfect. But, it can be better. Libertarians will keep working to create a better, freer society for everyone. As William Allen White said: "Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others."

Why Not Stick With The Establishment?

The politicians in Washington and our state capitols have led us away from the principles of individual liberty and personal responsibility which are the only sound foundation for a just, humane and abundant society.

Government at all levels is too large, too expensive, woefully inefficient, arrogant, intrusive and downright dangerous. Democratic and Republican politicians have created the status quo and do not intend to change it.

The Libertarian Option

Consider the Libertarian option.

Your family budget is more important than the government budget. Libertarians would substantially reduce all costs of government. This means lower taxes, smaller government budgets, and less government intrusion into your life.

Your business is your business -- not the government's. Let peaceful, honest people offer their goods and services to willing consumers without government intrusion.

You own yourself. It is not the government's place to dictate your personal life or choices -- especially with your own tax money.

Lasting peace comes from strength. A strong military to defend America is one of the vital responsibilities of the U. S. Government. That means America, not Japan, Germany, Yugoslovia, and the rest of the world.

What Americans Want

Americans want, and deserve, a political system which respects them as unique individuals; as people who can make their own plans, who can take responsibility for themselves, who are compassionate, and who can and will solve their own problems if allowed to do so.

Most Americans, after some thought, prefer the Libertarian option in politics. Most people in their private, non-governmental, affairs deal with each other on the libertarian premise of mutual respect. You don't threaten your neighbors with fines or jail just because they choose careers or lifestyles different than yours.

Let's hold government to the same standard. Protect us and our rights, and give us the respect we deserve.

OfflineFileSoup
Re: What are Libertarian ideals/views? [Re: Autonomous]
    #1876127 - 09/02/03 11:10 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Just wondering do the Libertarians have a primary website? The stuff I posted in the last post was from a website I found. Sorry about not clarifying that.

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
    #1876364 - 09/03/03 12:53 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

FileSoup said:
I have heard a lot of people on these boards say they are Libertarians. I'm not really sure what that means. Where do Libertarians stand on major issues?

Yes, this thread shows that about 50% of the people here are Libertarian. Their website is:

Libertarian Party: Homepage

The other 50% are primarily Green. There are very few Democrats or Republicans in this forum, as shown by the above poll. Should you also be interested in the Green Party, their website is:

Green Party of the United States

--------------------

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
Re: What are Libertarian ideals/views? [Re: Cornholio]
    #1876397 - 09/03/03 01:16 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Libertarian is the way more Americans should be voting, but don't have the guts to.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: What are Libertarian ideals/views? [Re: pattern]
    #1876404 - 09/03/03 01:18 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Libertarians take a good idea to the extreme to the point where it's not a good idea anymore.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
Re: What are Libertarian ideals/views? [Re: silversoul7]
    #1876422 - 09/03/03 01:27 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

On the other hand, Dems and Reps take a bad idea to the extreme to the point where it's not just bad it's evil. For example the Drug War. Now quit complaining and vote as I say!!

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: What are Libertarian ideals/views? [Re: pattern]
    #1876479 - 09/03/03 02:17 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

/me blindly obeys

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1876586 - 09/03/03 03:36 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Libertarians take a good idea to the extreme to the point where it's not a good idea anymore.

Not so. How can the government leaving people alone be a bad idea?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: What are Libertarian ideals/views? [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1876592 - 09/03/03 03:37 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

When it allows big business to take over.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1876617 - 09/03/03 03:45 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
When it allows big business to take over.

If that how people want to spend their money.... so be it.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#1876619 - 09/03/03 03:46 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

It's not as simple as that.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1876623 - 09/03/03 03:48 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
It's not as simple as that.

Ah but it is. People can be as effective as government in bringing about change, it may just take a bit longer.

The smaller government is.... the better.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#1876627 - 09/03/03 03:50 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

To a certain extent, I agree, but like I said, Libertarians take this too far, to the point where government is essentially ineffective.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1876631 - 09/03/03 03:53 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Quote:

To a certain extent, I agree, but like I said, Libertarians take this too far, to the point where government is essentially ineffective.

Yet another item in the seemingly endless list of things you're wrong about.

But hey... you're young.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#1877129 - 09/03/03 10:48 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

At least I'm not naive enough to think a Libertarian government could actually work. I mean, it sounds nice in theory, just like communism does, but you know why no one's actually implemented it? Because they know it won't fucking work.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1877132 - 09/03/03 10:50 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Naive isn't the word I'd use to describe you. (there are no flames allowed)

But I could use an after lunch laugh, so do tell, why?

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#1877136 - 09/03/03 10:53 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Why won't it work? Do you really think society could function with no taxes? You think the government can just depend on generous donations from people to pave the roads, pay the police and fire department, etc.? If you do believe this, I feel sorry for you.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag