Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinecircastes
Big Questions Small Head
Male User Gallery

Loc: straya Flag
Is depression a catharsis?
    #18602932 - 07/24/13 12:49 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I seem to stoop into some really low, low, cold emotions sometimes. I have been through some really rough shit with schizophrenia. Do you think perhaps these cleansing feelings while I am very low or the almost spiritual cleansing I feel when I push it deeper are a catharsis of all the strain I have been through?

If so should I just put on dark music and push deeper into it?

--------------------
My solitude...
My shield...
My armour...

TESTED
WITH
FULL
FORCE

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemoi
Stranger

Re: Is depression a catharsis? [Re: circastes]
    #18603631 - 07/24/13 07:45 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

dont think so. sometimes i play with this thought, but i doubt it. and everytime i go deeper, listen to sad music, etc, it actually makes everything worse, gives me suicidal thoughts...

i think we'll actually have to make an effort to get our shit handled, to make the best of our lifes, to push out of our comfort zones (which in our case is probably wallowing in depression)

yea i know, your problems are quite different actually.

Edited by moi (07/24/13 07:52 AM)

Offlinehappymealplease
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #18603968 - 07/24/13 09:49 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

circastes said:
I seem to stoop into some really low, low, cold emotions sometimes. I have been through some really rough shit with schizophrenia. Do you think perhaps these cleansing feelings while I am very low or the almost spiritual cleansing I feel when I push it deeper are a catharsis of all the strain I have been through?

No.

I'd try to find ways to keep busy and avoid feeling the depression as much as possible.

I realize it can be very tempting to give in, and sometimes it's so overwhelming it can't be ignored... but depression is an emotion that we need to do our best to avoid if we want to survive this life.  It has the potential to undo everything.

Edited by happymealplease (07/24/13 09:50 AM)

OfflineXingu
Stranger

Loc: NC
Re: Is depression a catharsis? [Re: happymealplease]
    #18604190 - 07/24/13 11:01 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Better to understand than to avoid, I think. It seems to make it worse when you resist it. Giving the feeling room to exist seems to make it dissipate/heal quicker. That's not to say indulge in dark mental elements, but don't run from them either. Finding clarity of mind within depression to experience and analyze the feeling from an unattached perspective seems to bring some awareness as to what can be done, if anything, to change factors that influence it. Abstract expression through some creative process seems to work for a lot of people to see their feeling manifest so that they may better understand themselves, whether it be creating music, visual arts, gardening, physical transformations, etc. Understanding of the every changing body of scientific knowledge on the subject also brings more mental attention to the lifestyle elements that may influence depression.

Edited by Xingu (07/24/13 11:02 AM)

Offlinemoi
Stranger

Re: Is depression a catharsis? [Re: happymealplease]
    #18605354 - 07/24/13 03:23 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

happymealplease said:
Quote:

circastes said:

No.

I'd try to find ways to keep busy and avoid feeling the depression as much as possible.

I realize it can be very tempting to give in, and sometimes it's so overwhelming it can't be ignored... but depression is an emotion that we need to do our best to avoid if we want to survive this life.  It has the potential to undo everything.

that's what i was trying to say, basically. but i was saying not only to avoid it, but to actively work towards a more positive life.

OfflineReginaldPMcpoop
The Colour Out of Space

#18605575 - 07/24/13 04:10 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

circastes said:

That's my approach.

This might help:

I find this music to be so incredibly expansive and thought provoking. It help me take my depressive state and forge something creative from it.

--------------------
:bananadance:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: High THC Strains