Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemescalito200
Stranger
Banisteriopsis caapi and Psychotria Identification * 1
    #18507994 - 07/03/13 06:17 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Hi! I'm a new user but long-time viewer of this community! First, I apologize for any grammatical mistakes since English isn't my native language.

So, today I was walking through a mountain near my town and suddenly I saw this 2 plants next to each other inside the wilderness.

I'm sure that the first 2 are some chacruna, probably, Psychotria alba (for the curly leaves and white flowers).

But I'm not sure about the latter 2. I thought it could be Banisteriopsis caapi, so I took some cuttings. It is a liana! But it wasn't flowering, so I can't tell how the flower/fruit look like. What do you think guys? Is Banisteriopsis caapi or not?

Also, confirmation of the Psychotria specie would be great :smile:

Thanks for your help!

Greetings!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSmOakland
 User Gallery

Re: Banisteriopsis caapi and Psychotria Identification [Re: mescalito200]
    #18510559 - 07/04/13 06:43 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Welcome to the community.  I'm sorry that I am not familiar with either plant.  What is your location?  By the way your grammar is better than 99% of the native English speakers on this website.

OfflineHarryL
Squnä'am
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington State
Re: Banisteriopsis caapi and Psychotria Identification [Re: SmOakland]
    #18510906 - 07/04/13 09:07 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Man... How cool what that be to live where those grow...
No expert either but the leaves do look similar to what I have seen...

But can't really say for certain...

Love to see some habitat shots where you found them... More pictures of them
Stem and trunk

Peace

--------------------
Mushroom hunting:  One bad mushroom can ruin your day! Know it or throw it.

Invisible1234go
#1 Swiftie
 User Gallery

#18511048 - 07/04/13 09:45 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah it definitely looks like THOSE leaves. There's also the chaliponga, or the  carthagenensis amyruca...or plain old coffee? That also may be possibilities.

OfflineZaka
Explorer
Male

Re: Banisteriopsis caapi and Psychotria Identification [Re: 1234go] * 1
    #18511522 - 07/04/13 11:43 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Irie,
Cool first post!
I'd say if you live in the Amazon, you've found both!
Looks very promising!
More pics!
Respect,
Z

Offlinemescalito200
Stranger
Re: Banisteriopsis caapi and Psychotria Identification [Re: mescalito200] * 1
    #18512604 - 07/04/13 04:29 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Hi! Thanks for your replies and welcome :smile: Well I am in Venezuela, which correspond with the habitat of these 2. Nonetheless, I found them in a mountain (about 1300-1400 meters over the sea) nearby my city, which is located to the north of my country (opposite to amazon which is to the very south-end). I have not photos of the plant in its habitat because it was too much into the jungle. However, I' m sure that the first one is some kind of chacruna, which is not listed to be found on this area, but in the amazon as banisteriopsis. So this give me hopes, especially because the climate is very similar to the amazon weather. The plant wasn't flowering and didn't had seedpots either. But it was a Liana vine: I had to pull some stem because it was about 3 meters over the soil.

Thanks for your help!

Greetings :smile:

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery

Loc: S.E.
    #18516860 - 07/05/13 04:17 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

There are many species that look a lot like p viridis and many that look like b caapi. You can't tell for sure just by looking at them. Making ayahuasca from them would show if they are active. I would try the supposed chacruna with a known maoi to see if it works then the supposed caapi with a known dmt source to see if it has maoi properties. That still would not prove it but would show if it was active or not.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

OfflineSmOakland
 User Gallery

Re: Banisteriopsis caapi and Psychotria Identification [Re: Stonehenge]
    #18516924 - 07/05/13 04:34 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Stonehenge said:
There are many species that look a lot like p viridis and many that look like b caapi. You can't tell for sure just by looking at them. Making ayahuasca from them would show if they are active. I would try the supposed chacruna with a known maoi to see if it works then the supposed caapi with a known dmt source to see if it has maoi properties. That still would not prove it but would show if it was active or not.

I must disagree with you here.  One should never eat a plant for identification purposes.  Risking death is not worth it.

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery

#18517724 - 07/05/13 07:43 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Do you know of any poisonous plants that look like the ones in the photos? One could start with very small amounts.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

OfflineSmOakland
 User Gallery

Re: Banisteriopsis caapi and Psychotria Identification [Re: Stonehenge]
    #18517835 - 07/05/13 08:04 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Stonehenge said:
Do you know of any poisonous plants that look like the ones in the photos? One could start with very small amounts.

I guess getting high is worth risking your life to some people.

Offlinemescalito200
Stranger
    #18518696 - 07/06/13 12:20 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Hi! Well, I'm pretty sure it's not Psychotria viridis but another Psychotria (probably P. alba carthaginensis) which is much less active than P. viridis. For the other plant I would have to wait until it develop its liana-woody stems, so I hope it flowers before that for identification purposes. I just want to know if the wait and the cultivation worth it. For the chacruna I will only grow for my collection given the fact that it's not very active!

Greetings!

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery

#18519606 - 07/06/13 09:39 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

People in the region know what plants are dangerous. There are very few highly toxic plants such as oleander. There are others that give upset stomach, etc but are not dangerous.

--------------------

OfflineZaka
Explorer
Male

#18520207 - 07/06/13 12:35 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mescalito200 said:
Hi! Well, I'm pretty sure it's not Psychotria viridis but another Psychotria (probably P. alba carthaginensis) which is much less active than P. viridis. For the other plant I would have to wait until it develop its liana-woody stems, so I hope it flowers before that for identification purposes. I just want to know if the wait and the cultivation worth it. For the chacruna I will only grow for my collection given the fact that it's not very active!

Greetings!

Irie,
Agreed that certainly appears to be a Psychotria of some kind as you suggest.
The vine, I might suggest, might be id'd by a nice thick base stem cross section..(looking for the classic Caapi pattern)...Would be nice to see a photo anyways!
Cuttings from each should be collected for your personal garden and grown to maturity....You should be able to get it to flower within 3-4yrs!

Respect,
Z

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds