Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
.linux.
    #1850503 - 08/26/03 02:24 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

so what's the deal with linux? :thumbup: or :thumbdown:?

I am curious about dual-booting XP and Linux but need more information and input.

In your opinion, what are the advantages and disadvantages of Linux vs. Windows?
Redhat, Suse, Mandrake, Debian, or other?

any links, suggestions, or comments would be greatly appreciated :smile: Thanks!

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: .linux. [Re: Xochitl]
    #1850662 - 08/26/03 05:25 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Disadvantage: it's extremely difficult to use if you have only used windows before. I still haven't figured how to install software in Linux.

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
Re: .linux. [Re: zeta]
    #1850735 - 08/26/03 07:17 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Zeta, what distro and version did you try to install.

I know that the newest versions of Red Hat and Mandrake are pretty easy to install. 

Red Hat 9.0 wasn't too bad to install.  I haven't played with it much but I did install it. 

Most, if not all, linux distributions are known for being more resource friendly then Windows.  For example, try running windows XP on an old 200mhz machine with 32mb of RAM... not much fun :smile: 

Linux though could run easily on that machine.

Also, as you might have been able to tell recently, most viruses are aimed towards Microsoft products.  Not many viruses go after linux boxes.

Learining it can be a bit odd but I think you'll be smart enough to get it :smile: 

I'm sure there are some downsides... but I'm generally an optimistic person!

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #1851010 - 08/26/03 10:12 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I have been running Linux (various Red Hat distros) since 1997, and I'm never going back to MacOS or SunOS which I used earlier. I have never been tempted to use Windows because it has always seemed needlessly complicated and also a very insecure operating system. Maybe Microsoft has improved lately though, I wouldn't know.

I've heard that it's possible to install Linux in a huge file on your Windows disk, so it's easy to try it out without repartitioning your disk. Then you can decide later whether you want them in separate partitions or not.

And if you want a really stable OS, try FreeBSD. I have installed FreeBSD server machines that ran for over 4 years non-stop before rebooting. But FreeBSD doesn't have quite as much hardware support and commercial software as Linux does, and it takes a little more initial effort if you're a unix newbie.

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Re: .linux. [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1851018 - 08/26/03 10:16 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I get sick of Windows vs. Linux wars. Both sides make bullshit claims about the other OS, when none of it is true. Sure, Linux has no virii, but they have more flaws than windows. Windows is more complicated for a Linux user, but Linux is more complicated for a Windows user. Ever heard of NTFS? Its 3 years old almost. Linux users still bring up insecurity of hds from 3 years ago. Don't get me wrong, I run both, but in certain areas, one is always better than the other.

When you get the ISOs for Linux, the install manual is normally included, its not too hard if you know what you're doing.

Offlineriffic
Male
Re: .linux. [Re: TinMan]
    #1852415 - 08/26/03 06:15 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

www.gentoo.org

even if you're a newbie, give this distro a shot, the install guide on the web site is simple to follow, and you'll end up with a system that is 100 percent customized for your machine.

Offlineriffic
Male
    #1852434 - 08/26/03 06:20 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

TheInvizibleMan said:
I get sick of Windows vs. Linux wars. Both sides make bullshit claims about the other OS, when none of it is true. Sure, Linux has no virii, but they have more flaws than windows. Windows is more complicated for a Linux user, but Linux is more complicated for a Windows user. Ever heard of NTFS? Its 3 years old almost. Linux users still bring up insecurity of hds from 3 years ago. Don't get me wrong, I run both, but in certain areas, one is always better than the other.

When you get the ISOs for Linux, the install manual is normally included, its not too hard if you know what you're doing.

what exactly are you trying to say about NTFS??

oh and it's been around since nt 3.5, a bit longer than 3 years, man

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Re: .linux. [Re: riffic]
    #1852516 - 08/26/03 06:42 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

But for the actual everyday user, it really existed since XP.

Offlineriffic
Male
    #1852581 - 08/26/03 07:14 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

TheInvizibleMan said:
But for the actual everyday user, it really existed since XP.

oh man put the crack pipe down you're killing me.

are you trying to say normal everyday users didn't use nt4 or win2k, or even nt 3.51 ??

have you ever stepped foot into an office any time in the last 8 years or so?

and I don't understand what your viewpoint is exactly behind NTFS, other than you saying it is less than three years old, which as a fact is clearly wrong.

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Re: .linux. [Re: riffic]
    #1852734 - 08/26/03 08:12 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I'm talking the average computer user didn't know what the fuck NTFS was! The 3 years was referring to when it was available in a version of windows that any fucker could understand. At least half of the people on computers are fucking stupid, you think they can understand even what NTFS stands for? http://rinkworks.com/stupid/cs_abuse.shtml

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #1870884 - 09/01/03 10:52 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Personally i believe SuSe is the easiest distro to install and to work with. Yast2 is "the" tool to achieve an easy installation of any software and capable of managing "everything" in your computer better than windows, it has automatic hardware detection/installation and it works with all the hardware you can find today.
There is full Linux emulation for windows, it's called cigwin. It was developed by Red Hat i think, i've tried it and it's a bit slow but you can even make X11 (graphic system) work with the emulator, means you can run Linux graphic frontends on Windows. Of course the opposite (Windows running in Linux), is easier to achieve. I'm typing from a full windows 98 emulation on Linux (no D3D, sorry;)), win4Lin is pretty good. Windows is just one more program now when it used to be an OS, hehe.
Look,

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
Re: .linux. [Re: MAIA]
    #1871108 - 09/01/03 12:45 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

thanks :thumbup: I like your Kropotkin quote, although I am more of Proudhon kinda person  :smile: 

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Loc: Jupiter's Moon
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Lana]
    #1871210 - 09/01/03 01:18 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
-Alien :cool:

OfflineT0aD
Stranger

Re: .linux. [Re: Alien]
    #1894717 - 09/08/03 02:44 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I have used slackware, red hat and mandrake and freebsd and debian ( couldnt install last two properly lol )
I like slack and red hat :smile:

--------------------
Cuba Libre

Offlinewindex
old hand
Re: .linux. [Re: T0aD]
    #1898895 - 09/09/03 04:10 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

gentoo is where its at... imo its got the best installing system around, portage is THE best as far as dependancy checking goes its really similar to FreeBSDs ports. Be prepared for a long wait if your installing gentoo though, you compile the entire OS on your own system, in the end its fully optimized for your system.

The problems i always run into with RedHat and other RPM based distros is that when you come accros something that youll need to compile, heh good luck! Its not all that big of a problem usually you just need to install some development RPMS that have the headers in it that the program your compiling cant find, it still makes compiling a simple program a pain in the ass.

With the direction microsoft is going (you no longer control what you put on your computer), i would recomend for anyone to begin learning linux or another OS. In the near future MS may decide that their software should be disabled because your visiting this site.

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
    #1901923 - 09/10/03 11:12 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I use debian. I think it's the best.

It's far more difficult to setup than the more commercial ones, i.e. slackware/redhat. But I think it's cleaner.

Linux is only useful in some aspects, you'll probably be dissapointed, unless you want to run servers, or whatnot. For everyday home use, I think that windows is definantly more tailored for that.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

InvisibleDoseR
slacker
Re: .linux. [Re: Raadt]
    #1903745 - 09/11/03 12:31 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Raadt said:
Linux is only useful in some aspects, you'll probably be dissapointed, unless you want to run servers, or whatnot. For everyday home use, I think that windows is definantly more tailored for that. 

i don't believe this is true. how many people have you heard/saw say "i used to use linux but i switched over to windows because it suits my needs better"? :wink:

maybe i can't play the latest games or use most overpriced commercial software, but my system has no problems serving files ala windows over the lan. my linux box handles email for all users on the lan (virtual hosting even), provides shells via ssh, handles print sharing, provides remote x sessions via vnc, and is used more than any other system in the house for everyday things like "surfing the interweb", listening to music, and playing movie files.

even through all this torture, i only restart this old 500mhz system with 256mb ram every 7-15 days.

i've been using linux for 5 years now, as a desktop os, and the entire time i've been reading that it isn't suitable for that purpose. well, i think i would have noticed by now if it weren't.

it should be clear what i think about linux. :thumbup: 

--------------------
Look at me! http://myspace.com/asininegenius

OfflineT0aD
Stranger

Re: .linux. [Re: DoseR]
    #1910463 - 09/12/03 04:38 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

joo haxor :laugh:

--------------------
Cuba Libre

Offlinewindex
old hand
Re: .linux. [Re: T0aD]
    #1910925 - 09/12/03 08:27 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

even through all this torture, i only restart this old 500mhz system with 256mb ram every 7-15 days.

ONLY 7-15?! Not very impresive, ive seen sites that handle some major traffic have boxes up for over a year.

My home gateway (pretty much the same as your system (k62-500/128mb) was up 90 days last time the power went out, and thats pretty much the only problems it has. If the power didnt go out aroun dher so often i BET the box would have an uptime of about 250 - 300 days.

sidenote: Ive spent ALL day trying to get twinview setup on my GF3T200, turns out it dosnt have TwV support, but the GF2MX and GF4 MX (all weaker then mine) have it... damn nvidia =\

Edited by windex (09/12/03 08:29 PM)

InvisibleDoseR
slacker
Re: .linux. [Re: windex]
    #1911736 - 09/13/03 02:08 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

if i wasn't using this box for x sessions, and wasn't used by anyone else, the uptime would be better.

also, as much as it sucks, sometimes i have to reboot to use windows. for example, to use overpriced software or view websites which only like internet explorer.

--------------------
Look at me! http://myspace.com/asininegenius

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder