Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJackthetripper7
Male

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
Drier BRF/Verm substrate during preparation.
    #18459124 - 06/23/13 12:45 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Hey you guys, I'm planning on making on some 1/2 pint cakes in Ziploc Smart containers, I had to chuck my other cakes and restart due to mass condensation on the dry verm layer. So, I am trying to make the substrate on the drier side, so maybe I won't get as much (if any) condensation up there in my dry verm layer (my sub was too wet). Apparently there's faster colonization with a tad bit drier substrate as well. Anyone have any suggestions? And yes I put foil on the lids before sterilization (knew someone might ask). Thanks for any responses!

--------------------

:goodluckwiththat:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Drier BRF/Verm substrate during preparation. [Re: Jackthetripper7]
    #18459227 - 06/23/13 01:28 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

condensation isn't the worst thing in the world as long as it's not pooling up in the bottom you should be fine, use micro-pore tape and it won't matter,the tek is already on the dry side anyway so i wouldn't bother and condensation is hard to escape

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Offlineunteagle
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Drier BRF/Verm substrate during preparation. [Re: cronicr]
    #18459568 - 06/23/13 05:37 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

faster isn't always better.  Id stick to the tek.... It's there for a reason.  But like you I've noticed that.  I have a bunch of plastic containers that Look awesome but they were very dry.

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Drier BRF/Verm substrate during preparation. [Re: unteagle]
    #18459573 - 06/23/13 05:40 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

unteagle said:
faster isn't always better.

Says who?

Offlineunteagle
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Drier BRF/Verm substrate during preparation. [Re: PussyFart]
    #18459589 - 06/23/13 05:50 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

im just saying, just because it colonizes faster doesn't mean you will have better fruit so why worry about speed so much.  I certainly havent seen any tests that show that slower is better either, but we do know that longer consolidation seems to improve fruiting and many people would argue potency as well. 

and just from reading posts, people that are obsessed with speed sometimes don't wait as long as they should with certain steps, peak at their jars too much, possibly bruising them or exposing to contams or altering c02 levels, etc. 

and it was just a harmless comment i was making just saying be patient.  LOL.  No harm meant.

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Drier BRF/Verm substrate during preparation. [Re: unteagle]
    #18459612 - 06/23/13 06:06 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

unteagle said:
im just saying, just because it colonizes faster doesn't mean you will have better fruit so why worry about speed so much. 

Just because you use a lower moisture content for colonization, does not mean you will have less moisture for fruiting.

We dunk the cakes for 24hrs after birthing and before fruiting to fix this problem.

Quote:

unteagle said:
but we do know that longer consolidation seems to improve fruiting and many people would argue potency as well.

No one is talking about consolidation, we are talking about colonization, as in mushroom mycellium will colonize a slightly dryer substrate quicker...which is a fact.

You should consolidate cakes for at least a week before birthing regardless.

That is a given no matter the previous procedures.

Quote:

unteagle said:
and just from reading posts, people that are obsessed with speed sometimes don't wait as long as they should with certain steps, peak at their jars too much, possibly bruising them or exposing to contams or altering c02 levels, etc.

What people have tendencies to do with their jars has nothing to do with faster or slower colonization speeds.

And if you think peeking at your cakes alters the co2 levels, you are mistaken....

Excess co2 is automatically forced out the lids of the jars, thru the filters.

Handling cakes is never a good idea, because it can disturb the dry verm layer, but that is irrelevant to the topic.

OfflineJackthetripper7
Male

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
Re: Drier BRF/Verm substrate during preparation. [Re: PussyFart]
    #18461092 - 06/23/13 02:04 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, my ratios were so messed up with this last batch of jars. I added a cup of dry verm, zoned out and added a cup of water, it looked overly wet so I poured out the excess water, I then realized I only added 1 cup of verm, so I added the other and tried to eyeball the amount of water I poured out to make up for it. (I was tired lol). I've read around on the forums and the most common method is adding 10% less water than normal. I use RR's lets grow mushrooms video as an example, if that has any relevance

--------------------

:goodluckwiththat:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate