Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

MagicBag.co Shop: All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisible5is
Male User Gallery
Loc: USA Flag
Worried about the wild cultivar of peyote * 1
    #18430624 - 06/17/13 02:14 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

I'm worried eventually we're going to lose wild peyote and it will only be alive through cultivation. If you look at the physical features between cultivated and wild peyote there really is a difference. It's nearly impossible to recreate the wild look of peyote, i understand Ferrel_Human's peyote looks really natural but it's missing something. "What?" You may ask, i'm really not sure. I do know that it would be tragic if we lost peyote in the wild, knowing it would be hard to introduce babies cultivated ones into the wild. I wish the USA and Mexico were so ignorant and coveted peyote like we do (never going to happen). I know the Huichol natives harvest by pulling them up from the root, i know it's their tradition but i wish they would cut the crown. Proper harvesting would really help save the species, I've never physically seen peyote in the wild and i wish to do so one day. Hopefully they'll still be there when i get the chance. I really covet peyote, it's a magical plant. Please people what are your views.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOeric McKenna
LIFE CAPS

Loc: Babylon Flag
Re: Worried about the wild cultivar of peyote [Re: 5is]
    #18430649 - 06/17/13 02:37 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Its all over the desert mang
it was
It ill be

--------------------

spread love
love is everything
2013 finds
medicinal psilocybin tincture drops
cannabis pics

OfflineSmOakland
 User Gallery

Re: Worried about the wild cultivar of peyote [Re: Oeric McKenna]
    #18431447 - 06/17/13 10:43 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Dude you are all confused.  First, I'll point out that the differences that you see between peyote in the wild and peyote in cultivation are phenotypic differences, meaning that they are the result of the environment as opposed to genetics.  The species has not been bred in cultivation long enough to become significantly different in terms of genetics.  You do not need to worry about the weak genes of cultivated species contaminating and weakening the wild population because it is not cultivated on a large scale in near its native habitat.  Also, there is no such thing as a "wild cultivar." 

That being said, your reasoning is quite reasonable.  If you raise ducks, you should not allow them to escape into the wild because their genes are relativity weak in terms of ability to survive in the wild.  If they bred with the local population, it could have very bad effects on the gene pool.  However, ducks have been domesticated for hundreds if not thousands of generations on a very large scale, whereas peyote has only been domesticated for maybe a dozen or so generations and on a tiny scale.

Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

Loc: 613 Flag
Re: Worried about the wild cultivar of peyote [Re: SmOakland]
    #18431622 - 06/17/13 11:45 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Personally I don't buy into the idea that introduced genetics will cause damage to local gene pools, at least within a single species. Anything poorly enough adapted to the locale will die off anyway, while the plants that are well adapted continue crossing with other survivors and producing offspring over many decades. IMO the added genetic diversity can only be a good thing.

Invisible5is
Male User Gallery
Re: Worried about the wild cultivar of peyote [Re: psi]
    #18431964 - 06/17/13 01:15 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the variety of views guys. :awethumb: i'm glad i could get some different views on the subject!

Invisiblemodern.shaman
San Mescalito
I'm a teapot

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Zone 13
    #18432087 - 06/17/13 01:47 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

The Huichol dont even make a dent in the peyote population as they have the richest area of peyote. What is causing the extinction of wild peyote is habitat destruction. Illegal harvesting in the 60s by hippies and dealers did hurt the population due to the mass amount of improper harvesting.  Naum posted about this a while ago and there is also a documentary on this; Huicholes: The Last Peyote Guardians.
I agree with psi that introduced genetics may be a good thing. Im pretty sure that some of ferrels peyote would survive in the wild in his area seeing as he doesnt water them and they are in full elements.

--------------------

Edited by modern.shaman (06/17/13 01:56 PM)

Invisible5is
Male User Gallery
Re: Worried about the wild cultivar of peyote [Re: modern.shaman]
    #18432115 - 06/17/13 01:57 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the info man, Haven't seen you in awhile!

OfflineAcaterpillar
A little mad...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
    #18435089 - 06/18/13 12:51 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

I've thought about starting a project before dedicated towards growing a large amount of Lophs and reintroducing them into the wild in hopes to restore some of the diminished populations.
Maybe it's something I'll do one day, but it wouldn't be for quite some time.

--------------------
Aaa...E I O Uuu...A E I O Uuu..A E I O uh Uuu..
*Cough* *Cough*
Ooo...U E I O Aaa...U E I Aaa..A E I O Uuuuu...

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

OfflineSmOakland
 User Gallery

Re: Worried about the wild cultivar of peyote [Re: Acaterpillar]
    #18436038 - 06/18/13 09:53 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Acaterpillar said:
I've thought about starting a project before dedicated towards growing a large amount of Lophs and reintroducing them into the wild in hopes to restore some of the diminished populations.
Maybe it's something I'll do one day, but it wouldn't be for quite some time.

You should consult experts before re-introducing a bunch of cultivated peyote into the wild.  What you need to find out is how much genetic diversity still exists in the wild population, and also approximately how much you are working with in cultivation.  Planting a huge amount of L. williamsii in the desert that has a low genetic diversity is detrimental at the worst and a waste of time at the best.  It is a shame that doing something like what you have in mind is illegal, despite the fact that it really would be for the greater good of the entire world.

Jump to top Pages: 1

MagicBag.co Shop: All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags