Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKLITE
Stranger
 User Gallery

Incubation at much higher temperature than heating element
    #18421842 - 06/15/13 02:39 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Hi all

I have recently come across some problem in my TiT that im finding very weird. My actual room temperature where the incubator is is never higher than 26C. At first I set my heater for about 29.5C thinking the inside of the Incubator would be 1 to 1.5 C lower than te water temperature. It turned out to go all the way up to 31 C so i freaked out and lowered the temperature of the heater to 24C. Now I need to keep the cover of the incubator OFF have a fan blowing air so as to keep the temperature below 29C. I dont get this, yes i have tried different thermometer as well and all with same readings. I think this has caused me some contamination problems, all jars had been colonizing fine until the temperature rose quite high and know after having broken them up i found in a couple of jars just ever so slightly small specs of some mould. I have read that temperatures above 30C really are propitious for contaminations to thrive, was this what happened to me?
What the hell is wrong with my TiT? Why is it so much hotter than the temperature of the thermometer and even higher than room temperature and i still have to struggle to keep te temperature around 28C. I also found it weird that i got a contamination as I used Critic's Self Heating Lid tek and was over carefull with sterilization and NO contaminations developed until the temperatures got high.

thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Incubation at much higher temperature than heating element [Re: KLITE]
    #18421901 - 06/15/13 03:10 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

your jars are gonna produce there own heat as they colonize so turn your temps down or just put them on a shelf at room temp to get ambient lighting like the rest of us:cool:
what are your room temps?

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

Loc: Middle
Re: Incubation at much higher temperature than heating element [Re: cronicr]
    #18421930 - 06/15/13 03:34 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

cronicr said:
your jars are gonna produce there own heat as they colonize so turn your temps down or just put them on a shelf at room temp to get ambient lighting like the rest of us:cool:
what are your room temps?

:whathesaid:

as long as your room temps arent below freezing your myc will colonize just fine

InvisibleNecroMyce
Mostly Ghostly
I'm a teapot

Re: Incubation at much higher temperature than heating element [Re: twistedty]
    #18421941 - 06/15/13 03:38 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

I had the same exact problem with my incubator. Go look at my Tek in my sig and see my incubator, i have mine like that with a towl/top halfway to 3/4 of the way over the lid to help keep contams out but also allow GE and light to get in. Or you could use a clear lid with a little bit of holes in the lid so it will keep temp and also allow GE/light all in one :smile:

My room temp fluctuates so i just decides as long as its around 78F-81F. Which is pretty badass if you ask meh.

Edited by NecroMyce (06/15/13 03:39 AM)

Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubation at much higher temperature than heating element [Re: NecroMyce]
    #18421951 - 06/15/13 03:42 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

CaspuuuR said:
I had the same exact problem with my incubator. Go look at my Tek in my sig and see my incubator, i have mine like that with a towl/top halfway to 3/4 of the way over the lid to help keep contams out but also allow GE and light to get in. Or you could use a clear lid with a little bit of holes in the lid so it will keep temp and also allow GE/light all in one :smile:

My room temp fluctuates so i just decides as long as its around 78F-81F. Which is pretty badass if you ask meh.

i can assure you your TIT lid doesnt keep out contams and allow GE at same time.

InvisibleNecroMyce
Mostly Ghostly
I'm a teapot

#18421964 - 06/15/13 03:46 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

twistedty said:
Quote:

CaspuuuR said:

i can assure you your TIT lid doesnt keep out contams and allow GE at same time.

Not 100%. But a random kitchen cabinet in your house is safer? i guess its your preference

Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

#18421970 - 06/15/13 03:48 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

i use a shelf in my kitchen, it doesnt matter where my jars are at because i use SFDs. i could successfully colonize my grains in my bathroom behind the toilet.

to each is own i guess :shrug:.  TITs seem like fire hazards to me

Edited by twistedty (06/15/13 03:49 AM)

InvisibleNecroMyce
Mostly Ghostly
I'm a teapot

#18421973 - 06/15/13 03:49 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

twistedty said:
i use a shelf in my kitchen, it doesnt matter where my jars are at because i use SFDs.

Agreed i use tyvek doe. As long as your sterile you should be fine.

Edited by NecroMyce (06/15/13 03:49 AM)

OfflineKLITE
Stranger
 User Gallery

#18421977 - 06/15/13 03:49 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks guys,

Caspuur, I've read your thread and i was amazed because i am doing pretty much the same 8 jars of spawn birck of coir and 3 quarts of fine verm. It did occur to me that they would produce heat. I found that having a fan blowing in the room where the temperature is never higher than 26C and the lid put on a 90 degree angle so as to leave 2 uncovered areas at each extremity of the tub.
I have seen people just colonizing jars on shelves and such with light but then i kept reading people getting fully colonized jars in just about a week and that got me excited. I've had 22 jars incubated for just over 2 weeks and only about 6 or 7 need to finish colonizing.
I am also thinking that maybe the contamination i said i got could have been the substrate just drying out a bit.
Any of yous that colonize just up in a shelf do you get 1 week colonization rates like other people out there?

Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

#18421982 - 06/15/13 03:53 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

KLITE said:
Thanks guys,

Caspuur, I've read your thread and i was amazed because i am doing pretty much the same 8 jars of spawn birck of coir and 3 quarts of fine verm. It did occur to me that they would produce heat. I found that having a fan blowing in the room where the temperature is never higher than 26C and the lid put on a 90 degree angle so as to leave 2 uncovered areas at each extremity of the tub.
I have seen people just colonizing jars on shelves and such with light but then i kept reading people getting fully colonized jars in just about a week and that got me excited. I've had 22 jars incubated for just over 2 weeks and only about 6 or 7 need to finish colonizing.
I am also thinking that maybe the contamination i said i got could have been the substrate just drying out a bit.
Any of yous that colonize just up in a shelf do you get 1 week colonization rates like other people out there?

if im doing g2g ya under a week.

if i turn 1 jar into 5 jars  i bet i could get 100% colonize in less than a week.

InvisibleNecroMyce
Mostly Ghostly
I'm a teapot

#18421994 - 06/15/13 03:57 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

The few times i have had mine on shelves when there wasn't any room in the incubator it took 3 and 1/2 weeks. You should look into agar isolation and Liquid culture. It will decrease the waiting time for colonization. Grain to Grain transfers, is also something you should type into the search bar. Just try putting a thermometer inside the incubator and test the temps, it'll take some trial and error before you get it right. And remember the substrate/spawn inside the jars is about a degree or two higher the the temp of the actual incubator. Sometimes you just gotta be patient :laugh:

Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

#18422003 - 06/15/13 04:01 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

CaspuuuR said:
The few times i have had mine on shelves when there wasn't any room in the incubator it took 3 and 1/2 weeks. You should look into agar isolation and Liquid culture. It will decrease the waiting time for colonization. Grain to Grain transfers, is also something you should type into the search bar. Just try putting a thermometer inside the incubator and test the temps, it'll take some trial and error before you get it right. And remember the substrate/spawn inside the jars is about a degree or two higher the the temp of the actual incubator. Sometimes you just gotta be patient :laugh:

i used a thermostat with my TIT setup way back when.  the only time it should take 3.5weeks is from MS solution and no offense caspuuur but i would highly reccomend on doing LC.

if you want to take it to next level agar is much much more easier and less time consuming than LCs

OfflineStratman
virgin mycologist

Loc: At the centre of infinity
    #18422019 - 06/15/13 04:07 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

For what its worth- I just moved from a tub incubator to a closet with a space heater (column heater) and my jars started to really take off overnight.

If you're living in a cold climate like I am it might pay to find some closet space as heating an entire room is expensive.

Just make sure it's safe and not a fire hazard.

--------------------

Edited by Stratman (06/15/13 04:17 AM)

Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubation at much higher temperature than heating element [Re: Stratman]
    #18422023 - 06/15/13 04:11 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Stratman said:
For what its worth- I just moved from a tub incubator to a closet with a space heater and my jars started to really take off overnight.

If you're living in a cold climate like I am it might pay to find some closet space as heating an entire room is expensive.

google reptile thermostat, and plug your space heater into that for optimal temp controls :thumbup:

OfflineStratman
virgin mycologist

#18422034 - 06/15/13 04:20 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

twistedty said:
Quote:

Stratman said:
For what its worth- I just moved from a tub incubator to a closet with a space heater and my jars started to really take off overnight.

google reptile thermostat, and plug your space heater into that for optimal temp controls :thumbup:

You're right. I nearly bought a reptile enclosure heater today however I'm just about to begin fruiting so then I'll be colonising the remaining jars at room temp which will be provided by my space heater.

--------------------

OfflineKLITE
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Incubation at much higher temperature than heating element [Re: Stratman]
    #18422074 - 06/15/13 04:56 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Great input from you all thanks. For some reason when i started growing i thought the easiest least complicated with the least likelyhood of getting contaminations was spore syringes and that's what i've been making and never had contamination problems using Critic's Self Heating lid Tek and his Easy Fool Proof Inoculation. I find Liquid cultures confusing dont really understand even after reading teks if i would be better off using Liquid cultures than my spore syringes. I find taking prints and making the syringes really easy and with a little care to keep things sterile its hard to get contaminations.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #18422102 - 06/15/13 05:10 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

78f is plenty warm to colinise mycelium just fine, i dont know why you would want to use an uncubator to shave off maybe a day in temps.

The main reason we dont really recomend incubators is problems like this. The termostat on your fish tank heater might have gone.

anywa if your armbient temps are 78f its pretty damn perfect.

I use whatever temp my room is at which can even get down to 12c in the beginning of summer and lower at the beginning of summer and never caused me problems.

Infact i think i might have even grown once where temps were in single digits and daytime temperatures were only as high as 12-14

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

#18422124 - 06/15/13 05:26 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

KLITE said:
Great input from you all thanks. For some reason when i started growing i thought the easiest least complicated with the least likelyhood of getting contaminations was spore syringes and that's what i've been making and never had contamination problems using Critic's Self Heating lid Tek and his Easy Fool Proof Inoculation. I find Liquid cultures confusing dont really understand even after reading teks if i would be better off using Liquid cultures than my spore syringes. I find taking prints and making the syringes really easy and with a little care to keep things sterile its hard to get contaminations.

well if you are having good luck with spore syringes good :smile:, and dont use LCs ever.  like i said use agar and isolate strains or clone your favorite fruits etc :thumbup:

oh ya and culture slants

Edited by twistedty (06/15/13 05:27 AM)

OfflineKLITE
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Incubation at much higher temperature than heating element [Re: veda_sticks]
    #18422135 - 06/15/13 05:33 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

veda_sticks said:
78f is plenty warm to colinise mycelium just fine, i dont know why you would want to use an uncubator to shave off maybe a day in temps.

The main reason we dont really recomend incubators is problems like this. The termostat on your fish tank heater might have gone.

anywa if your armbient temps are 78f its pretty damn perfect.

I use whatever temp my room is at which can even get down to 12c in the beginning of summer and lower at the beginning of summer and never caused me problems.

Infact i think i might have even grown once where temps were in single digits and daytime temperatures were only as high as 12-14

I always thought (maybe a wrong interpretation of so many things i've read) that the optimum colonizing temperature lies between 81-83F. Thats why i really wanted to make sure i could have it in those temperatures. I think i can if i keep a fan blowing air around and the incubator half covered. But if you think that 25-26C would do just fine and add a day or two of colonization time i might just put the incubator aside.
thanks

OfflineStratman
virgin mycologist

Re: Incubation at much higher temperature than heating element [Re: veda_sticks]
    #18422137 - 06/15/13 05:34 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

veda_sticks said:

Don't want to jack the OP's thread but just out of curiosity, how long did your grow take from inoculation to harvesting?

My winter has just begun so things are gonna get colder. I haven't got the patience for a slow growing process.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate