Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHashfinger
Nippy Wiffle
 User Gallery

Loc: Georgia
Today's Finds [Chantrelles, Mystery Pluteus, and Others!]
    #18389235 - 06/08/13 07:17 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

I woke up early this morning and hit the woods while it was still misty and cool. It gets HOT in Georgia very fast, so I wanted to beat the heat and see what I could see. It was an awesome day. Lots of Amanitas and just a lot of fungal activity in general picking up this time of year, so its an exciting time!

The first mushrooms to greet me were these little ninos. I know they are supposed to be Deconica. I wish I could prove this to myself once and for all. I need a microscope... Just look at these buggers! So fun to photograph.

So about a month ago maybe, I posted some photos of a few little Deconicas of similar stature to these. However, they printed a brown print. These specimens photographed release a dark purple brown spore print. Has me pondering...:strokebeard: Might be a complex of species growing in similar habitats.

After a little drying...
Gill shot!
Almost looks like a zapotecorum...

Okay now enough pretending I've found something interesting... Here's a delicious Georgia Golden Chantrelle!

This guy greeted me at the trailhead of hike #2 this morning. Corn snake, anyone know the species? I wanted to say Okeetee but I don't think they are this far north in GA.

Okay now here's something interesting... Found this cluster of three Mysterious Pluteus. They are small, indeed they are. I think they look like salicinus, but they were just so tiny, and growing from a chunk of beech log. And I don't know if I'm seeing things, but I thought I could see a little green tint to the stems after picking and drying. I saved the specimens, so if anyone wants to scope them I'd be glad to send 'em off.

WHAT!? Someone riddle me what species of Ganoderma this is... Blew my mind.

Mean looking Honey Mushrooms... Armillaria (species?)

Well that's about all the decent photos I took... I had a lot of fun today, and saw some interesting things. I also met these two older Chinese women who were out foraging for greens of some sort. They knew all about Reishi (I was in a bamboo thicket hunting for some when we crossed paths), and also knew of "red and white dots" mushroom... I assume they meant the Fly Agaric :rockon:. We talked about mushrooms and culture for a little bit, and she told me a lot of people eat mushrooms in their country and get sick, but they just puke them up and get over it :shrug:. The one lady also told me of how her grandfather had a trick to tell if a mushroom was poisonous by cooking it in a pan with a little pinch of white rice. If the rice turned red, the mushroom was supposedly toxic. Anyone ever hear of this method? I was intrigued to say the least... Funny how the world lines you up to bump into people like that! :rofl: Anyway, have a good one! Hope you enjoyed viewing. Stay HASHY! :getstoned:

--------------------
Species List (Georgia): Psilocybe caerulescens/weilii, Psilocybe atlantis/galindoi, Psilocybe cubensis, Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata, Psilocybe caerulipes, Psilocybe semilanceata, Psilocybe fagicola, Copelandia cyanescens, Panaeolus cinctulus, Panaeolus fimicola, Panaeolus olivaceus, Gymnopilus luteofolius, Gymnopilus aeruginosus, Gymnopilus junonius, Pluteus salicinus

(Ohio): Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata, Psilocybe caerulipes, Pluteus cyanopus, Pluteus salicinus sensu lato..., Panaeolus cinctulus, Gymnopilus luteus, Gymnopilus luteofolius, Gymnopilus junonius, Gymnopilus aeruginosus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFungi01
John Plischke
Male User Gallery

Loc: Western Pennsylvania
Trusted Identifier
Re: Today's Finds [Chantrelles, Mystery Pluteus, and Others!] [Re: Hashfinger]
    #18389279 - 06/08/13 07:24 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Your Pluteus may be something close to Pluteus longistriatus

OfflineHashfinger
Nippy Wiffle
 User Gallery

Re: Today's Finds [Chantrelles, Mystery Pluteus, and Others!] [Re: Fungi01]
    #18389308 - 06/08/13 07:28 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Fungi01 said:
Your Pluteus may be something close to Pluteus longistriatus

I see a few different types of the "pleated" Pluteus around these parts, but most are bigger than these and have more substantial stems :shrug:. If I had a microscope I'd be gettin' down right now...

--------------------
Species List (Georgia): Psilocybe caerulescens/weilii, Psilocybe atlantis/galindoi, Psilocybe cubensis, Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata, Psilocybe caerulipes, Psilocybe semilanceata, Psilocybe fagicola, Copelandia cyanescens, Panaeolus cinctulus, Panaeolus fimicola, Panaeolus olivaceus, Gymnopilus luteofolius, Gymnopilus aeruginosus, Gymnopilus junonius, Pluteus salicinus

(Ohio): Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata, Psilocybe caerulipes, Pluteus cyanopus, Pluteus salicinus sensu lato..., Panaeolus cinctulus, Gymnopilus luteus, Gymnopilus luteofolius, Gymnopilus junonius, Gymnopilus aeruginosus

OfflineUser_7
Cyanoaeruginosa caerulazurescens
Male User Gallery

Loc: Secret Island Location Flag
    #18389324 - 06/08/13 07:31 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Damn that's a smooth chant, is it Cantharellus lateritius?

OfflineHashfinger
Nippy Wiffle
 User Gallery

Re: Today's Finds [Chantrelles, Mystery Pluteus, and Others!] [Re: User_7]
    #18389339 - 06/08/13 07:34 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

User_7 said:
Damn that's a smooth chant, is it Cantharellus lateritius?

Idk you tell me! It is very young, so the "gills" haven't really come out yet. I also found some tiny red chants that I will go back and collect in a few days.

--------------------

OfflineRiparianZoneJunky
hunter/gatherer
Male

Loc: Oregon
    #18389352 - 06/08/13 07:36 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Nice deconica shots.  :grin:

--------------------
RZJ's Tea Tek
RZJ's Tradelist

OfflinetheWOZZ87
Boundary Warden
Male User Gallery

Loc: Massachusetts
    #18389366 - 06/08/13 07:39 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Hashfinger said:

Well that's about all the decent photos I took... I had a lot of fun today, and saw some interesting things. I also met these two older Chinese women who were out foraging for greens of some sort. They knew all about Reishi (I was in a bamboo thicket hunting for some when we crossed paths), and also knew of "red and white dots" mushroom... I assume they meant the Fly Agaric :rockon:. We talked about mushrooms and culture for a little bit, and she told me a lot of people eat mushrooms in their country and get sick, but they just puke them up and get over it :shrug:. The one lady also told me of how her grandfather had a trick to tell if a mushroom was poisonous by cooking it in a pan with a little pinch of white rice. If the rice turned red, the mushroom was supposedly toxic. Anyone ever hear of this method? I was intrigued to say the least... Funny how the world lines you up to bump into people like that! :rofl: Anyway, have a good one! Hope you enjoyed viewing. Stay HASHY! :getstoned:

Bump:thumbup:, I wanna hear if anyones heard about that rice thing. Very interesting.

OfflinetheWOZZ87
Boundary Warden
Male User Gallery

Re: Today's Finds [Chantrelles, Mystery Pluteus, and Others!] [Re: theWOZZ87]
    #18389370 - 06/08/13 07:39 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Also your ganoderma species could be young ganoderma applanatum.

Offlinesuchen
Once and Future Noob
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shangri-la
Trusted Identifier
    #18389371 - 06/08/13 07:40 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

The snake is an eastern corn snake, the Ganoderma is not a Ganoderma, and Chinese grandfathers are full of crap advice :rotfl:

Seriously though, nice hunt! That first species really is beautiful and fascinating. Is there no one you could dry some and send to for inclusion in DNA sequencing studies? Or just for fun?

--------------------
Rod Tulloss said:

The bulb is the bulb.

The volva is the volva.

They have a very long term realtionship, but they’re “just friends.”

OfflineHashfinger
Nippy Wiffle
 User Gallery

Re: Today's Finds [Chantrelles, Mystery Pluteus, and Others!] [Re: RiparianZoneJunky]
    #18389372 - 06/08/13 07:40 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

akumushi said:
Nice deconica shots.  :grin:

I'm pretty fucking enchanted by them... It just excited me to sit down in the middle of a massive cluster of them in shroomy counsel. :dawerp:

--------------------

OfflinetheWOZZ87
Boundary Warden
Male User Gallery

Re: Today's Finds [Chantrelles, Mystery Pluteus, and Others!] [Re: suchen]
    #18389387 - 06/08/13 07:43 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

suchen said:
The snake is an eastern corn snake, the Ganoderma is not a Ganoderma, and Chinese grandfathers are full of crap advice :rotfl:

Seriously though, nice hunt! That first species really is beautiful and fascinating. Is there no one you could dry some and send to for inclusion in DNA sequencing studies? Or just for fun?

I'm gonna stay away from Chinese grandfathers, Thank You.:thumbup:

OfflineHashfinger
Nippy Wiffle
 User Gallery

#18389392 - 06/08/13 07:44 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

suchen said:

I wouldn't jump to conclusions Such... There may be an age old trick involved with the rice thing, probably only applicable to a specific region where they live, and specific species. I really want someone to take a closer look at the Deconica whateveryoucallems. I sent a collection to Alonso in Mexico, but I don't feel like I really got any conclusive info. I think he had something specific he was looking for when he scoped them, and didn't see it, so writ them off as nothing important. Like I mentioned, some of them have had brown prints, others have had purple... Idk which ones I sent to him. If you want to scope some, I've got a huge pile dried sitting right next to me with your name on 'em.

--------------------

OfflineHashfinger
Nippy Wiffle
 User Gallery

#18389397 - 06/08/13 07:45 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

theWOZZ87 said:
Also your ganoderma species could be young ganoderma applanatum.

I'm on the east coast... Those are a west coast fungi. I think...

--------------------

OfflineHashfinger
Nippy Wiffle
 User Gallery

#18389403 - 06/08/13 07:46 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

theWOZZ87 said:
Quote:

Hashfinger said:

Bump:thumbup:, I wanna hear if anyones heard about that rice thing. Very interesting.

Double bump. Where's Alan? If anyone has heard of something like this it would be him...

--------------------

Offlinesuchen
Once and Future Noob
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shangri-la
Trusted Identifier
    #18389414 - 06/08/13 07:49 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Sadly I have no 'scope  :youcaughtme: but what about bloodworm, Alan, wintersbefore, etc.? If it is an unnamed species it would be great to describe it officially.

Turning the rice red is along the same lines as turning a silver spoon black... just completely inaccurate. And even if it works for a few species in a specific region, it definitely doesn't work for all of them which makes it even more dangerous.

--------------------
Rod Tulloss said:

The bulb is the bulb.

The volva is the volva.

They have a very long term realtionship, but they’re “just friends.”

InvisibleThe Lightning
Mycology Enthusiast
 User Gallery

#18389438 - 06/08/13 07:54 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Eh, hash, you should really post the Deconica species on Mushroom Observer.

If you do and you want to have them scoped I'm around.

OfflineHashfinger
Nippy Wiffle
 User Gallery

#18389441 - 06/08/13 07:55 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

suchen said:
Sadly I have no 'scope  :youcaughtme: but what about bloodworm, Alan, wintersbefore, etc.? If it is an unnamed species it would be great to describe it officially.

Turning the rice red is along the same lines as turning a silver spoon black... just completely inaccurate. And even if it works for a few species in a specific region, it definitely doesn't work for all of them which makes it even more dangerous.

I definitely want to help to get these things described. If anyone can do the microscopy I can write up a region/habitat description, etc. I would love to get some work done on them, but I don't know who to really reach out to. I guess I've been hoping someone would reach out to me. I think I just need to save money and buy a scope... I know the rice thing would DEFINITELY not work for all toxic mushrooms, but it would be cool to document the use of that trick and what region and species it works for! I love how certain cultures have their ways of knowing, while others, like ours, stick to pure science. They also said if bugs eat the mushroom humans can eat it... I definitely told them that one didn't hold true in our region.

--------------------

OfflineRiparianZoneJunky
hunter/gatherer
Male

Loc: Oregon
    #18389450 - 06/08/13 07:56 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

suchen said:

And there are edible mushrooms that stain red, and would probably stain rice red.  Old man of the woods comes to mind.  Folk wisdom should be assumed to be bullshit until otherwise proven to be factual by scientific inquiry, especially when your life is on the line.  :lol:

--------------------
RZJ's Tea Tek
RZJ's Tradelist

OfflineHashfinger
Nippy Wiffle
 User Gallery

Re: Today's Finds [Chantrelles, Mystery Pluteus, and Others!] [Re: RiparianZoneJunky]
    #18389475 - 06/08/13 08:01 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

I just couldn't believe them when they were talking about people puking from bad mushrooms. I was like, wtf. How do more people not die?

--------------------

InvisibleThe Lightning
Mycology Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Re: Today's Finds [Chantrelles, Mystery Pluteus, and Others!] [Re: The Lightning]
    #18389487 - 06/08/13 08:04 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

The Lightning said:
Eh, hash, you should really post the Deconica species on Mushroom Observer.

If you do and you want to have them scoped I'm around.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale