Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepetepann
CHOOT 'EM!
Male User Gallery

Loc: NCarolina-Heartb-long2Bam...
Tore thru some briars and I pressed thru some thickets, Went thru some places a rabbit couldn't go
    #18336162 - 05/28/13 10:57 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I mapped out some new terrain to explore on google earth yesterday. Just a short two mile hike down a creek to where it meets the river and back. "Cake Walk", I says to myself as I leaned back in my chair, satisfied with my plans and route. Cake walk my ass! Ha! I set out at 6 a.m. and did not return till around 1 p.m. Between the waist high stinging nettle, briar patches, deadfalls, thickets and vertical creek banks, it was one physically demanding trek to say the least. But I was lovin' every minute of it! It also proved to be rewarding on the mushroom finds. I think so anyway. I'm sure there are plenty others who would not agree at all. I'm gonna have to split this segment up into a couple or more posts because I can only upload so many photos at a time being the lowly peasant that I am here at the shroomery. Oh! I almost forgot. There are a couple video clips also. The first one crapped out prematurely due to a dead battery. But enough jibber jabber. On with the show... Well, one last thing, I attempted to ID these myself. If they are not accurate, feel free to correct.

Let's start with a few Conocybe albipes

Sprinkle in a couple Coprinaceae. Sorry bout the green photo. Shortly after that the battery died in camera. Tried to photo edit but no luck.

I love the gill structure of these Mycena leptocephala

That's  what I love about this hobby, just when you think you have seen all the species of fungi the area has to offer, something new pops up. This Polyporus varius was a cool find.

That was all I was allowed to upload for this post segment. There are more where these came from. To be continued....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBjJiggles
Gym seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Tore thru some briars and I pressed thru some thickets, Went thru some places a rabbit couldn't go [Re: petepann]
    #18336243 - 05/28/13 11:20 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Cool Polyporus... The first one is not Conocybe albipes though.

--------------------

Alan Rockefeller said:No!  Do not feed the type collection of a new species to animals!

Offlinepetepann
CHOOT 'EM!
Male User Gallery

Re: Tore thru some briars and I pressed thru some thickets, Went thru some places a rabbit couldn't go [Re: petepann]
    #18336262 - 05/28/13 11:27 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Well apparently I cant upload any more photos at all tonight, guess I will try again tomorrow. Oh well.

Wrong ID on conocybes. Well there is a perfect example of being careful of who you get Id's from here. If anyone can give correct ID I will be happy to re-label photos. If not I will be trying to do so myself. Picked up a book on identifying at library a couple days ago. Its been somewhat useful so far.

OfflineBjJiggles
Gym seeker
 User Gallery

#18336279 - 05/28/13 11:32 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Was it growing directly off of that wood?

--------------------

Alan Rockefeller said:No!  Do not feed the type collection of a new species to animals!

Offlinepetepann
CHOOT 'EM!
Male User Gallery

Re: Tore thru some briars and I pressed thru some thickets, Went thru some places a rabbit couldn't go [Re: BjJiggles]
    #18336295 - 05/28/13 11:35 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Yes sir it was. Most everything I found on this hike was. MOST, not all. I will try to post the rest of photos tomorrow. Site wont let me post anymore tonight.(or this morning, rather)

Offlineambc
mycominded
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Trusted Identifier
    #18336297 - 05/28/13 11:36 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I don't think those first mushrooms are Conocybe albipes, someone on here said they were renamed C. alcala. I'm not sure that is the case.

--------------------

Invisiblemaynardjameskeenan
The white stipes
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 'Merica
Trusted Identifier
Re: Tore thru some briars and I pressed thru some thickets, Went thru some places a rabbit couldn't go [Re: ambc]
    #18336318 - 05/28/13 11:43 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I think that first one might be close to Psathyrella candolleana or Psathyrella piluliformis :shrug:

--------------------
May you be filled with loving kindness.
May you be well.
May you be peaceful and at ease.
May you be happy.

AMU Q&A

Offlinepetepann
CHOOT 'EM!
Male User Gallery

Re: Tore thru some briars and I pressed thru some thickets, Went thru some places a rabbit couldn't go [Re: ambc]
    #18336325 - 05/28/13 11:45 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Ok. I will research that. I'm trying to keep my mind off of the foxfire ordeal. I would drive out there now if I thought the wife would not get fussy about it. She doesn't take to well to me being in the woods at night alone. I personally love it. She is a worrier and would not be able to sleep and yada yada yada.

OfflineBjJiggles
Gym seeker
 User Gallery

#18336332 - 05/28/13 11:46 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ambc said:
I don't think those first mushrooms are Conocybe albipes, someone on here said they were renamed C. alcala. I'm not sure that is the case.

There is no C. alcala, lol. I understand that C. albipes, C. lactea, and C. apala were synonomized and go by the name Conocybe apala now. Can't remember where I read that, but I know a lot of people still call it C. albipes. But it's a grass dwelling sp. petepann, that's why I asked. Plus it looks pretty far off for your first mushroom...

--------------------

OfflineBjJiggles
Gym seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Tore thru some briars and I pressed thru some thickets, Went thru some places a rabbit couldn't go [Re: maynardjameskeenan]
    #18336344 - 05/28/13 11:50 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

maynardjameskeenan said:
I think that first one might be close to Psathyrella candolleana or Psathyrella piluliformis :shrug:

Could be. I can't see the gills well enough. Did you take a spore print of those petepann?

--------------------

InvisibleOeric McKenna
LIFE CAPS

Loc: Babylon Flag
Re: Tore thru some briars and I pressed thru some thickets, Went thru some places a rabbit couldn't go [Re: BjJiggles]
    #18336346 - 05/28/13 11:52 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Cool pics man.
Awesome thread title. Fuckin'  Johnny Horton!

Briars/thorn hedges...dude the other day I got shredded by this 10 foot deep row that extended forever lengthways. Had no choice. "There will be blood"
It reminded me of some haunted forest sleeping beauty shit.

The price we pay as nature loving myco addicts...

--------------------

spread love
love is everything
2013 finds
medicinal psilocybin tincture drops
cannabis pics

Offlinepetepann
CHOOT 'EM!
Male User Gallery

#18336372 - 05/29/13 12:02 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

First mushroom? You lost me there. So your saying the first group of three photos are not  the same species? I was thinking you meant just the ID was wrong. But your saying the first picture, of the group of three, is of a different species altogether. Correct? Damn. And I was almost proud of myself.

And yes I took spore prints of all and the wife, God bless her soul, Threw Them Out while I was sleeping. But no total loss. There were PLENTY more out there. I just gotta try to find away around that sea of stinging nettle.

HA! HAAAA! I was wondering if anybody would recognize the title. I find myself singing that in my head ALOT on my hunts. And Yes... There is normally blood. and chiggers and ticks and mosquitoes and etc.

OfflineBjJiggles
Gym seeker
 User Gallery

#18336383 - 05/29/13 12:07 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

No, the Id is wrong for the first 3 pics, none are C. albipes/apala. I haven't really looked into the rest, but they all seem correct at least to Genus:thumbup: Nice job

--------------------

Offlinepetepann
CHOOT 'EM!
Male User Gallery

#18336390 - 05/29/13 12:08 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

BjJiggles said:
Quote:

maynardjameskeenan said:

Could be. I can't see the gills well enough. Did you take a spore print of those petepann?

Gonna try to sneak in one more photo for ya. I have a real nice one of the gills. Think it was this one...

OfflineBjJiggles
Gym seeker
 User Gallery

#18336394 - 05/29/13 12:11 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Your "Coprinaceae" is a Coprinellus sp I believe. Something in the Coprinellus micaceus group.

--------------------

OfflineBjJiggles
Gym seeker
 User Gallery

#18336401 - 05/29/13 12:13 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

petepann said:
Quote:

BjJiggles said:
Quote:

maynardjameskeenan said:

Gonna try to sneak in one more photo for ya. I have a real nice one of the gills. Think it was this one...

Nice photo Pete! Is that photo of one of the mushrooms from the first three pics posted?

--------------------

OfflineBjJiggles
Gym seeker
 User Gallery

#18336407 - 05/29/13 12:15 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I think that's the same mushrooms... I believe Maynard nailed it, Psathyrella sp. probably close to the species he named. Good eye Maynard!

--------------------

Offlinepetepann
CHOOT 'EM!
Male User Gallery

#18336420 - 05/29/13 12:19 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Yes that's a gill shot from the first group of three. So are we all in agreement on the  Psathyrella sp.? This has been great. We should all do this more often. LMAO! Lovin' dis chit.

Invisiblemaynardjameskeenan
The white stipes
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 'Merica
Trusted Identifier
    #18336430 - 05/29/13 12:23 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

petepann said:
Yes that's a gill shot from the first group of three. So are we all in agreement on the  Psathyrella sp.? This has been great. We should all do this more often. LMAO! Lovin' dis chit.

I'm glad you are having a good time and learning new things!
I love it!
before long you'll be addicted.
:cheers:

Keep'em coming.

--------------------
May you be filled with loving kindness.
May you be well.
May you be peaceful and at ease.
May you be happy.

AMU Q&A

OfflineBjJiggles
Gym seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Tore thru some briars and I pressed thru some thickets, Went thru some places a rabbit couldn't go [Re: maynardjameskeenan]
    #18336432 - 05/29/13 12:25 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Yup, all in favor of Psathyrella after that gill shot :thumbup:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order