Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Colorado Mushroom Fair 2003
    #1825803 - 08/18/03 11:20 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

We had the CMS Mushroom Fair for 2003 yesterday. We did OK on the mushrooms, the public was a bit thinner than I expected. And, unless you guys were quiet about it, nobody from the Shroomery (other than me) was there.

From left, Hope and Dr Orson Miller, Larry Renshaw (current President of CMS), Vera Evenson (curator of the mycological herbarium), Gary Lincoff (author of The Audubon Society Field Guide - socializing with Hope and Dr Miller), and a random guy who just wandered in.

This is a group of Amanita muscaria variety flavivolvata I brought in for the Fair. They're a bit dried out and sun bleached.

The ever popular Boletus edulis. All of these were bug free. The big one, after I trimmed the stem to get rid of dirt and check for bugs, weighed 615 grams.

This has not been a good year for Chanterelles here in Colorado, but I managed to find a couple. They're a bit deformed looking from pushing up from under about a 20 pound rock.

These are Matsutake buttons, Tricholoma magnivelare. It's actually a bit early for them yet. I had to dig for these - they were about 4 inches underground.

This is a lookalike for Matsutake. It's Catathelasma ventricosa. Note the double ring on the stem. They lack the wonderful Matsutake smell, but they're edible and fairly good.

Now, let's get to the weirder stuff...

This is Hydnum imbricatum (=Sarcodon imbricatum), which is actually a pretty common mushroom, but always very striking looking when you find it. The teeth under cap are soft and feel like fur. They are edible, and pretty good.

This one is Hebeloma insigne, a poisonous species. I like the appearance of the drops of water on the edges of the gills and the very scaly stem. They smell very strongly of radishes.

This shows a couple LBMs growing with each other. The darker capped ones are Galerina autumnalis, which is deadly poison. The paler ones are an Inocybe species, which is also poisonous, just less likely to kill you.

This coral mushroom (growing alongside a Hebeloma) is Ramaria cacao, one of the very few coral mushrooms that's easy to identify. It smells like chocolate! This one is a small specimen (only about 4 inches tall).

This mushroom has the longest name of any mushroom at the Fair this year. It's Chrysomphalina chrysophylla. Interestingly, this is actually the fruiting body of the lichens that were growing on this stump. Most lichens are ascomycetes, but this species is a basidiomycete, and it will occasionally fruit.

This mushroom is probably a lot more common than the number of records of it would indicate. It's Daldinia concentrica, growing on an old aspen log. The little one looks like tar, but they all feel to the fingers like charcoal brickets. When you cut it in half, the inside has alternating light and dark zones. It's a relative of the Lobster Mushroom, in that its ascii are within perithecia (flask shaped holes) on the surface of the mushroom.

That's it for now. Hope you enjoy this bit of mushrooming in Colorado.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecomario2
amateur

Loc: between places
Re: Colorado Mushroom Fair 2003 [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1825814 - 08/18/03 11:24 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

:cool: 

--------------------
comario

"crusaders against emotional poverty"

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #1826215 - 08/18/03 12:51 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Great stuff man!!!!!!!! :laugh:

--------------------
Namaste.

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
Re: Colorado Mushroom Fair 2003 [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1826718 - 08/18/03 02:24 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Gotta love it... thanks TM.....

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1827607 - 08/18/03 06:32 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Beautiful pictures, great ID's and interesting specimens!!!

Thankyou so much for sharing! :thumbup: :laugh:

Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

Re: Colorado Mushroom Fair 2003 [Re: angryshroom]
    #1827635 - 08/18/03 06:40 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

awesome. I hope the interest stays low in a way becuase that means more mushrooms for us! But thats greedy and I also wish to spread the wealth, its unfortunate they do not go hand in hand =D

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
    #1828026 - 08/18/03 08:59 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Awesome post Toxic!  :thumbup:

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1829058 - 08/19/03 08:54 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Offlinedeltron
Stoned Shroomer-.-

Loc: Colorado
Re: Colorado Mushroom Fair 2003 [Re: World Spirit]
    #1835310 - 08/20/03 08:59 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

damn i missed it!

--------------------
Host: I've heard whispers about the financial support your government receives from the drug industry.
Peruvian: Well, the irony of this, of course, is that this money, which is in the billions, is coming from your country. You see, you are the major purchaser of our national product, which is of course cocaine.
Host: On one hand, you're saying the United States government is spending millions of dollars to eliminate the flow of drugs onto our streets. At the same time, we are doing business with the very same goverment that is flooding our streets with cocaine.
Peruvian: Mmm-hmm, si, si. Let me show you a few other characters that are involved in this tragic comedy.

Anonymous

#1836223 - 08/21/03 03:59 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures