Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Possible Ps. caerulipes find (pics to come)
    #1823610 - 08/17/03 05:36 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Remeber back when that richard james fellow found a few Ps. caerulipes up in northern west virginia? When I saw the pictures I was suprised to see how very macroscopically similar they were to the Ps. weilii I pick every year here in north GA. Then I remembered a I find I made last year in the late summer out in the middle of the country while scouting for places to put my deer stands. I was near a small creek bed and down under some weeds and tall grasses I spotted some mushrooms. Apoun closer inspection I realized they were Psilocybes and they looked just like Ps. weilii, so I wrote them off as so. Though I did think it was kinda peculiar finding Ps. weilii in the middle of the woods miles and miles from any paved roads and even farther from a major city. These woods haven?t ever been logged or disturbed before that I know of, not any time in the past half century anyways :smile: I figured I had found some rare "wild" Ps. weilii growing in their natural habitat, on undisturbed grounds.

Looking back on it, after seeing those pics of Ps.caerulipes this past spring, I started thinking what I found was way more likely to be Ps. caerulipes given its habitat and being found in foothills of the appalachains(sp?) Many say that Ps. caerulipes is a mountain mushroom, favoring low valleys in wet areas on dead birch and on other various hardwoods. The mushrooms I found were in hilly terrain in a hardwood forest next to a small creek bed. The grounds are very wet in this area and the ground is littered with decaying birch, maple, oak, sycamore, sweetgum etc...

Anyways, I said I would keep an eye on this area to see if they returned this year, and today I was back out in the woods scouting around in preparation for archery season and stumbled across more of these very same mushrooms. I found 2 nice healthy specimens, and 3 old overly matured mushrooms. I will post pictures tommarow, I did now have my camera with me and was kicking my self in the ass for it, so tommarow I?m headed back up there to get some pics and to pick them to bring home and print and dry. I will take lots of habitat pics and try to get some more descriptive info of the surrounding area and enviroment these are growing in. See what you guys think about them.

Pics to come tommarow, hope this stoners post wasn?t too hard to read, I?m just excited with this find, I wasn?t sure they would return this year. These might turn out to be exactly what my first instinct was, just Ps. weilii growing in its natural habitat, I don;t want to over look that fact and just assume they are another species based on habitat alone. After all, the pictures I saw of Ps. caerulipes this spring were macroscopically identical to Ps. weilii. It would be near impossible to tell anything for sure with out putting some spores and gill frags under a microscope.

I think I got this right. Heres a link to the post made here by richard D james with pictures of his Ps. caerulipe find and also a pic of Ps. caerulipes from MJ...
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...part=1&vc=1

Heres one of richards pics...

and heres the pic MJ posted...

LK,

--------------------

Edited by Lizard King (08/17/03 09:51 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: Possible Ps. caerulipes find (pics to come) [Re: Lizard King]
    #1823672 - 08/17/03 05:55 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Not When you talk about weilii being "wild" arent all the ones in the city and neighborhoods wild besides the fact thier natural habitat has been cut down around them? Just curious, as I live in welii teritory and am gathering info on them as I can come by it.

Anonymous

#1823904 - 08/17/03 07:07 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Ps. cubensis
Ps. weilii
Ps. atlantis
Ps. new species
Ps. caerulipes
G. Spectabilis
Pan Subs
Pan Caster

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: Possible Ps. caerulipes find (pics to come) [Re: ]
    #1824024 - 08/17/03 07:44 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

i found a real different looking mushroom in my backyard. i dont have any pics so im not really gonna go into detail it was purple with a brown spot in the middle it was concave about half inch diameter and had a purple spore print. smelled like a regular mushroom

It sorta looks like the picture on lizard kings avatar.

Edited by The_Red_Crayon (08/17/03 07:46 PM)

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

#1824421 - 08/17/03 10:02 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

When I talk about wild weilii, I mean weilii growing on grounds not cultivated in any way. A grassy Lawn and old construction areas, shopping centers and buisness parks are all little niches that Ps. weilii exploit. They are quite rare in the wild and you would never find them in such abunance in the wild as you would on cultivated grounds. Many ligniclous species are this way. Ps. caerulecens is called the landslide mushrooms because of its tendency to show up in abundance on the settled grounds of a 3-8 year old lanslide(a natural cultivated ground ina sense)

Ladle, I know Ps. caerulipes is listed as growing here, but I only aded it to the list the other week because it had been definitively reported from tennesee and also florida, it only made sense to add it to Georgia as the probability of it growing here is high. This find of mine may confirm this assumption though, which would be cool :smile:

LK,

--------------------

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

#1828018 - 08/18/03 08:54 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I had a really bad day a work and am really tired. I have many more pics than I am about to post, I just picked 4 decent pics since thats all my upload limit will allow. For anyone here in GA, these were found near clayton up 985 in high enough elevation to catch trout.

These are the three overly mature spceimens I found.

These are the two better specimens I found.

LK,

--------------------

Edited by Lizard King (08/18/03 09:01 PM)

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #1828326 - 08/18/03 11:28 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Thx for the info. I wonder why they typcially apear in the landslide areas? Could it be the difference in PH, or some chemical change in the soil? Could Weilli be just another psilocybe, except geneticly mustated by the polution of humans and , 'transformed into a superpotent, alien planet tasting mushroom'...? Ahh the questions  :spliff: 

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1828668 - 08/19/03 02:36 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

woah...i think you found them (caerulipes)...:shocked: 

Anonymous

#1828841 - 08/19/03 06:02 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Excellent find. Was that all of them out there? They do look a lot like weilii and Richard James pictures.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1829569 - 08/19/03 12:12 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I think he found them. Those are caerulipes.  :eek: 

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

#1829833 - 08/19/03 01:20 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yep, that was all of them out there. And I agree, they do look alot like weilii. In my honest opinion, Ps. weilii, Ps. caerulescens, and Ps. caerulipes are all one and the same with slight variances. I think mycologists are just quick to jump the gun sometimes and call something new. Weilii can vary in size, shape, and color so dramatically most would never make the connection from one form to the next as being the same sepcies. I gurantee you if you sent in different collections of weilii, trying to get as many forms as possible, some mycologist somehwere would say there is a mixed collection of many closely related species but with markable differences under a microscope. Guzman is now saying that half the weilii sent in by the atlantis discoverer from a neighborhood Ladle and I both pick in, have been determined to be Ps. caerulescens. I just don't buy much of what these guys put out there.

I guess I'll deposit these to the UGA professor and have them sent to Guzman as suspect Ps. caerulipes specimens, and see what he comes up with. I wish Paul would work more with Psilos, or atleast someone besides Guzman.

LK,

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1830825 - 08/19/03 05:27 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Very cool find LK. I'm anxious to see what Guzman has to say about them.

I'm moving down to south Georgia(in 2 days) for college, you need to come show me the ropes of hunting cubensis :smile: . I've never hunted for them before because I've never really had the chance to. I'll give ya a call when I've got a free weekend and we'll have to go hit up some fields. 

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Re: Possible Ps. caerulipes find (pics to come) [Re: Gumby]
    #1830903 - 08/19/03 05:56 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Awe man :frown: I had no idea you were leaving so soon. I'm sure you told me but I never remember dates. And you kept asking to meet up and pick some chanterelles and hunt around and I kept putting it off, I've been so busy with work, and now I feel bad. We will definitely find them cubes down there, I'll be there the first weekend you get off. We'll be able to use the college research excuse and there will actually be some validity to it :smile: Good luck to ya in your new school man. Take care, hit them books and make the grades, your going to a great school and seem to have things figured out, I'm sure you'll do good there. Stay in touch and defintely keep posting, else I'll steal your mod position :wink:

LK,

--------------------

Edited by Lizard King (08/19/03 05:57 PM)

Anonymous

Re: Possible Ps. caerulipes find (pics to come) [Re: Gumby]
    #1830941 - 08/19/03 06:15 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

"you need to come show me the ropes of hunting cubensis ... I'll give ya a call when I've got a free weekend and we'll have to go hit up some fields"

Isn't this breaking the rules of this forum. You should lock this thread GD.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1830946 - 08/19/03 06:18 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Naw, no rules broken here..

I didn't know that Gumby was going away to school..

I didn't even know gumby never picked cubes!~

Well, LK, let us know if you have to time to mod this place again.

Keep shroomin,
GGreatOne234

Anonymous

Re: Possible Ps. caerulipes find (pics to come) [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #1830993 - 08/19/03 06:39 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

It's just a stupid joke

Anonymous

#1831279 - 08/19/03 08:28 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

InvisibleFungushungry
Addict

Loc: Whispering Winds
    #1831326 - 08/19/03 08:42 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

that 2nd pic looks like a winner :smile: thats what we pick up here in West By God Virginia

--------------------
"Early man walked away
As modernman took control
There mind's weren't all the same
And to conquer was their goal
So he built his great empire
And he slaughtered his own kind
He died a confused man
And killed himself in his own mind"

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Re: Possible Ps. caerulipes find (pics to come) [Re: Fungushungry]
    #1831649 - 08/19/03 10:27 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

You say they look like what you pick? Man I gotta get up there to WV this fall and pick some for myself, I'll bet they are no different from weilii, they sure don't look it. Maybe caerulipes is the "wild" version of weilii, and weilii is the caerulipes that figured out how to exploit a niche growing in an urban developement similar to its native habitat. Who knows, its all so confusing, and they all look so similar.

--------------------

Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

#1831663 - 08/19/03 10:35 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

ya thats awesome man good find ;D

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds