Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinePala
Dharma Bum

Loc: Within You Without You
On Dead/Phish Tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    #1803970 - 08/11/03 11:43 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

A fellow shroomite wanted to hear some about my summer on tour, so I decided to make a post.  Maybe Chincat and Kosmic_Charlie (and any other people who went on tour) could share some stories.  Hopefully I'll go into just the right amount of detail:

This summer, I went on tour with Phish and The Dead.  I didn't plan it until a week after Bonnaroo (guess what gave me the idea :smile:).

I went solo to Bonnaroo when a friend bailed out.  It was great though, and I met two groups of really cool people camping near me.  One group I tripped with twice, once for my first acid trip, and once for my first Dead show with shrooms.  I had the most fun trip of my life during that show due to great conversation, great vibes, and great music.  A week later, I checked out tour dates, and with the support of my mom (I don't think she knows what happens at Dead shows :smile:), I planned this road trip. 

I ended up flying to Red Rocks due to car troubles, and I caught the last 4 nights.  It was a great, memorable, spiritual, perfect week.  I tripped on fractals Mon night and on fractals and shrooms Friday night - an even mix of 2 trips and 2 sober nights. 

I got on the road July 15 and saw:

Widespread Panic July 15 Shawnee Mountain
Phish Alpine Valley July 18-19 (acid on the 18th, shrooms on the 19th)
      Deer Creek July 21-23
Allman Brothers Burgettstown, PA July 26
Phish Burgettstown, PA  July 29
      Camden, NJ  July 30-31
The Dead  Joliet, IL Aug 2
          Somerset, WI Aug 3
          Deer Creek, IL Aug 5 (2 very weak mushroom chocolates)
          Columbus, OH  Aug 6
          Darien Lakes  Aug 8
          Jones Beach    Aug 9-10 (shrooms on the 10th)

I ordered all my tickets beforehand, not realizing that you could get cheap tickets or miracles at the shows.  I camped or slept at a rest area most nights.  Relying mainly on savings, I only worked three shows, selling water and 3D glasses.  It's somewhat expensive, so be prepared.  Plan ahead with either savings or some sort of work (food, water, and beer are best IMO for safety and money-making ability).  Also, I'd advice people not to trip too much.  Trip many times, but see a lot of shows sober too.  That way you'll get a more varied perspective on the music. 

A friend I camped and tripped with at Alpine Valley got busted on an illegal police raid of a Deer Creek campsite.  I'm gonna shoot him an e-mail today. 

It's awesome that you keep running into people all tour.  I'd meet people that I knew from Red Rocks at Columbus, and even saw one of the kids I hung out with at Bonnaroo at Darien Lakes.  It's part coincidence, and perhaps part fate; who knows?  Either way, it's beautiful. 

There are certainly some complete burnouts and shady people on tour, but the vast majority of the people are bright, intelligent, honest, kind, interesting, and free.  Everyone gets along, and fairness is more prevalent there than in the "real world." 

Some random conclusions: Taking acid for the Dead is all it's cracked up to be.  Road trips are great for the the spirit and the mind.  Tour is great, but I couldn't do it all the time.  Whether your sober or tripping, there are always many moments when the band (The Dead) is singing to you personally (and the great thing is that the same thing's true for almost everyone).  Phish is very good (love the light show, too), and The Dead are truly "A band beyond description!!!!!!!" 

Ask me anything about my trip (no pun intended).   

--------------------
huh????

Edited by Pala (08/11/03 11:45 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineStubaby
crosseyed andpainless

Loc: Dudley's Kitchen
Re: On Dead/Phish Tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Pala]
    #1805073 - 08/12/03 09:54 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds like you had a great time  :grin:  This summer was my first time touring as well and it was a blast.  It was so cool meeting people in one state, then seeing them again in each stop you went to.  What did you think of that Burgettstown Phish show? Had to be one of the best ever!  With school starting again, I don't think I'm going to be making many more 25 hour drives to a show anytime soon, but I've already made a list of 12 sweet concerts all coming within 3 hours of where I live for the fall.

One Love,
Stu 

--------------------
Well everybody's dancin in a ring around the sun
Nobody's finished, we ain't even begun
So take off your shoes child, and take off your hat
Try on your wings and find out where it's at.

OfflineDrummer
CelestialMechanic
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE Michigan
Re: On Dead/Phish Tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Stubaby]
    #1805883 - 08/12/03 01:45 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Very nice Pala, I was only able to attened a couple of the many shows I wanted to see. This years work schedule got very screwed up and being the father of a beautiful 2 year old daughter I could not risk losing my job and her healthcare to do the tour. I do envy you and everyone else who was able to do it, as I met some very wonderful people in Columbus at the dead show who really made me feel that I was at home. Hopefully you are able to keep contact with those you met.
Drummer

--------------------
People don't want other people to get high, because if you get high, you might see the falsity of the fabric of the society we live in.

-Ken Kesey

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: On Dead/Phish Tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Drummer]
    #1805893 - 08/12/03 01:48 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

where can i find the our info, or is it all done with?

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

OfflinePala
Dharma Bum

Re: On Dead/Phish Tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Stubaby]
    #1806162 - 08/12/03 02:54 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I thought the Burgettstown show was absolutely great! Probably the best of the ones that I saw. Loved the Harpua!

I'm glad to hear that you also had a great time touring!

--------------------
huh????

OfflinePala
Dharma Bum

Re: On Dead/Phish Tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Drummer]
    #1806170 - 08/12/03 02:56 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah. I kept a notebook where I wrote down the info of some of the people I camped with and/or hung out with. Hopefully I'll be able to stay in touch. The people at shows are so nice, as you said. How'd you like the Columbus show? I thought the second set was really good!

--------------------
huh????

Offlinetwistedweather
ka-blammo

#1806704 - 08/12/03 05:17 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

nice!! thanks for a better in depth view of your journeys

i dont have many friends that are heads or into jam bands either, well willing to go on the road and responsibly tour

thinking i might go on a solo tour journey myself, west coast prolly

definetly goin to plan ahead for next year

a few questions
how many miles do you think you drove?
what kind of vehicle did you go on tour with?

--------------------

Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons, and you will find that it is to the soul what the water bath is to the body.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
    #1808873 - 08/13/03 10:10 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

What was the Harpua story about?

OfflineYouEnjoyMyself
PHiSH

Re: On Dead/Phish Tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Adom]
    #1811149 - 08/13/03 08:11 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Soudns like a great time.

--------------------
-Wash uffitze drive me to firenze

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains