Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOysterFarm
Grower
Male

Anyone else grow giant puffballs?
    #18028009 - 03/29/13 12:03 PM (11 years, 1 day ago)

Well I just couldn't resist.  I have seen so many youtube videos on giant puffballs I had to order a culture.

Even though I have had so much bad luck on Ebay I saw one on there and figured I'd give them a chance.  The company is Spawn Station.com. 

It arrived and was very professionally sealed in a vacume sealed pouch.  With separate needle and syringe cover.  So I am hopeful it will grow.

I'm assuming just the regular grain spawn method to get it started.  I also use brown rice flour cakes in mason jars with self healing injector ports and a breather as well.  These work well as once the material is colonized I just inject some sterile water with a dash of honey and extract the pure mycellium next day.

After colonizing do you just toss the grain in a compost pile or the lawn?  Will they grow from bottle culture?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebitepourrie
Mr
Male User Gallery

Loc: Concepcion Tarlac Philipp...
Re: Anyone else grow giant puffballs? [Re: OysterFarm]
    #18029850 - 03/29/13 06:56 PM (11 years, 1 day ago)

the only record i ever found is from a scientific paper about 12 years ago from a scientist in Tjekeslovakije who waited 4 years to see the first puffball appear where he inoculated

Offlinemycofever
Part-Time
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Anyone else grow giant puffballs? [Re: bitepourrie]
    #18029961 - 03/29/13 07:23 PM (11 years, 1 day ago)

Man I hate the long wait with shiitake. lol I guess we all know that you gotta be patient with this hobby.

--------------------
Patience will help you keep your sanity.It will insure your success if you are patient in all aspects of mushroom growing.When you rush you are prone to make mistakes and all of your efforts are wasted.

Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

Loc: Mos Eisley,
Trusted Cultivator
    #18030251 - 03/29/13 08:22 PM (11 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

OysterFarm said:
Well I just couldn't resist.  I have seen so many youtube videos on giant puffballs I had to order a culture.

Even though I have had so much bad luck on Ebay I saw one on there and figured I'd give them a chance.  The company is Spawn Station.com. 

It arrived and was very professionally sealed in a vacume sealed pouch.  With separate needle and syringe cover.  So I am hopeful it will grow.

I'm assuming just the regular grain spawn method to get it started.  I also use brown rice flour cakes in mason jars with self healing injector ports and a breather as well.  These work well as once the material is colonized I just inject some sterile water with a dash of honey and extract the pure mycellium next day.

After colonizing do you just toss the grain in a compost pile or the lawn?  Will they grow from bottle culture?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

never bother tossing ANY grain spawn out side. animals will go to great lengths to eat it ALL!!!!

--------------------

OfflineSubverted
Male

#18030399 - 03/29/13 08:49 PM (11 years, 1 day ago)

Someone I sort of know had giant puffballs start showing up on their property in the mountains after having a load of gravel delivered and spread on top of the road leading up to their house. Every year they harvest 5-10 of them I guess.

I have had this bookmark(different person) for a few years after hearing about that. Someday hopefully I will have land to try this on.

--------------------
send your unwanted bitcoins: 1F5osY2tkq9FEAVUCTnxvmTM78VtLyFhaH  :smirk:

OfflineOysterFarm
Grower
Male

Re: Anyone else grow giant puffballs? [Re: bitepourrie]
    #18031481 - 03/30/13 01:52 AM (11 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

bitepourrie said:
the only record i ever found is from a scientific paper about 12 years ago from a scientist in Tjekeslovakije who waited 4 years to see the first puffball appear where he inoculated

I saw a thread on here where a guy had some coming up out of cardboard in a short amount of time.  Not much to brag about but seemed like a start.

OfflineOysterFarm
Grower
Male

#18031495 - 03/30/13 02:01 AM (11 years, 1 day ago)

Part of why I was thinking of it was I see a lot of areas here that naturally grow the smaller ones.  I kept bringing them home just cause I thought they were cool and would improve the lawn.  I didn't realize at the time they were edible.  I figure if the small ones will grow the big ones will as well.

I mean who doesn't have access to a lawn or a field, park etc?  I know of tons of places off the beaten path even by mushroom hunters.

I already do some wild plantings with varied results.  When they come up in my yard I know they will be fruiting where I planted them.  That way I don't have to waste time poking about in the woods.

Sure some day people will maybe find some spots but they won't find them all.

Offlinequadracer
Porcini Hunter
 User Gallery

Loc: Here, Now
    #18034344 - 03/30/13 06:55 PM (11 years, 8 hours ago)

They should start popping up around here pretty soon.  I'm hoping to take a clone when I find one.  I hear they are delicious.

OfflineOysterFarm
Grower
Male

Re: Anyone else grow giant puffballs? [Re: quadracer]
    #18034440 - 03/30/13 07:19 PM (11 years, 8 hours ago)

I hope it works out.  I put some in LC and they seem pretty active so far.

InvisibleBrain Fart
Mushroom Nerd
 User Gallery

Loc: Your Mom Flag
    #18036469 - 03/31/13 08:04 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I love the shit out of giant puffballs.

Interestingly enough they like to grow where there is a lot of deciduous wood debris in the soil as well as where trash seems to collect.

I mistake Styrofoam trash for them all the time. In fact they seem to almost "mimic" the pieces of litter and while I find them growing in the woods usually on hillsides/slopes.

The best place I find them is along the tree line in the parking lot by the University I attend. There is always sadly garbage that gets caught in the tree line from the wind blowing it across the parking lot. This is where I find them growing abundantly amongst all the other white cups white styrofoam ect.

--------------------

OfflineOysterFarm
Grower
Male

Re: Anyone else grow giant puffballs? [Re: Brain Fart]
    #18036867 - 03/31/13 11:04 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Brain Fart said:
I love the shit out of giant puffballs.

Interestingly enough they like to grow where there is a lot of deciduous wood debris in the soil as well as where trash seems to collect.

I mistake Styrofoam trash for them all the time. In fact they seem to almost "mimic" the pieces of litter and while I find them growing in the woods usually on hillsides/slopes.

The best place I find them is along the tree line in the parking lot by the University I attend. There is always sadly garbage that gets caught in the tree line from the wind blowing it across the parking lot. This is where I find them growing abundantly amongst all the other white cups white styrofoam ect.

I have noticed they don't seem to fear toxic environments.  I find them in lawns a lot.  The average American lawn to me is just a mini Love Canal.  Herbicides, toxic chemical fertilizer, weed and feed.  I can't even lay down on most lawns without breaking out in an itching fit.

High School football fields almost always seem to have them.  I wonder if they like the lack of competition or if they just are more able to adapt to those environments.

Offlineforrest
 User Gallery

Loc: The Netherlands
    #18037011 - 03/31/13 11:53 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

grass of certain lengths allways itches, it's because of all the tiny grass-points touching your skin, like a feather or the like would tickle, not toxic compounds...

--------------------
My Trade List

Offlinemorbiddoctor
Frilly fungal fruiter
Male User Gallery

Loc: seattle, wa
Re: Anyone else grow giant puffballs? [Re: forrest]
    #18037804 - 03/31/13 03:16 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Interested to see your results. I have been wanting to grow out some puffballs as well. I especially like lycoperdon perlatum.

--------------------
Trade list Updated 12/20/15

Ranco temperature controller and Wagner steamer for pasteurization in trade list!

I'm looking for eyecatching, colorful, unique and interesting fungi. Not limited to edible or medicinal. Print them when you're on foray and pm me please!

OfflineOysterFarm
Grower
Male

#18039356 - 03/31/13 08:11 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

forrest said:
grass of certain lengths allways itches, it's because of all the tiny grass-points touching your skin, like a feather or the like would tickle, not toxic compounds...

But I don't get that feeling in the woods.  I only get it on football fields, love canal lawns, etc.

I did track and field in High School and always suffered after laying on the grass. 

Also my lawn is totally organic and I don't have that problem.

Offlineforrest
 User Gallery

Loc: The Netherlands
    #18040567 - 04/01/13 12:20 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

ok, sorry, maybe i'm wrong, but i think the itches mostly comes from mowed grass, not the real long one.

BTW do you guys allso see prisoner#1 instead of your own ''name'' as author of the post?

--------------------
My Trade List

OfflineOysterFarm
Grower
Male

#18066035 - 04/06/13 07:06 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

****UPDATE*****

The jar I inoculated was showing some signs of growth.  Just a little puff of white.

Then I go to check my cultures in my warm room this morning and the jar had gone from showing a little touch of growth to being one quarter colonized!  Wow.  I don't think I've ever seen a culture grow that fast before.

It wasn't snow white sure but I've seen cultures grow like that before and then back fill in later.

This makes me hopeful.

I've also put it in LC cultures and have more grain jars I inoculated later that haven't started to grow yet.

InvisibleOeric McKenna
LIFE CAPS

Loc: Babylon Flag
    #18066095 - 04/06/13 07:36 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Sweet

--------------------

spread love
love is everything
2013 finds
medicinal psilocybin tincture drops
cannabis pics

Offlinemorbiddoctor
Frilly fungal fruiter
Male User Gallery

Loc: seattle, wa
Re: Anyone else grow giant puffballs? [Re: Oeric McKenna]
    #18072939 - 04/07/13 04:21 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------
Trade list Updated 12/20/15

Ranco temperature controller and Wagner steamer for pasteurization in trade list!

I'm looking for eyecatching, colorful, unique and interesting fungi. Not limited to edible or medicinal. Print them when you're on foray and pm me please!

Offlinequadracer
Porcini Hunter
 User Gallery

Loc: Here, Now
Re: Anyone else grow giant puffballs? [Re: morbiddoctor]
    #18074023 - 04/07/13 08:38 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Found a few yesterday and took some tissue samples, we'll see if they take!

OfflineTerry M
Stranger in a Strange Land
Male

Loc: Rhode Island
Re: Anyone else grow giant puffballs? [Re: quadracer]
    #18075485 - 04/08/13 06:04 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I've got a colonized jar right now that I'll inoculate a bag of sawdust with. No idea what to do after that. Maybe the bag would like to be cased after being fully colonized?

--------------------
Liberté, égalité, humidité.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom