Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegreentiger87
Stranger
using Pleurotus species to combat root-knot nematodes (Meloidogyn spp.)
    #17969639 - 03/17/13 04:27 PM (11 years, 14 days ago)

I'm new, I apologize if this is in the wrong place. Wasn't sure if it should go here, or in the garden or starting out forum. I'm new to mycology, but not to microbiology in general.

I'm working on different methods of combating root knot nematodes. I imagine a lot of you have seen the amazing picture of Pleurotus mycelium trapping and paralyzing a nematode - it's a really easy to grow genus that just happens to also be nematophagous.

I started my experiment by just burying mature oyster mushrooms, both from the wild in my area (Houston, TX), and from the grocery store, in garden beds I know have a nematode problem, and covering them with hardwood mulch and oak leaves that I use to supplement the soil and keep beds weed free until spring. I checked today, and there's rampant mycelial growth going on - but there's no way for me to confirm that it's the Pleurotus. It's mostly likely an actinomycete, which is great too, in a general sense.

So I'm looking to "inoculate"  with something more vigorous. My first thought was to grow grain spawn and mix it into the mulch.

I really just wanted some feedback on whether or not this is a stupid idea. I'd prefer to stay away from buying spores or syringes online because I eventually want to be able to advise other gardeners on how to use this method. I've gotten mycelium to grow from the stems of store bought oysters before, using hydrogen peroxide to suppress contamination, but I didn't follow through with it.

For my application, I think the issues of contamination aren't nearly as important as for someone interested in food safety and maximum yield. I also could care less about fruiting - I just want viable mycelium. Does this change any practical considerations?

I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJeff
Addict
Male User Gallery

Re: using Pleurotus species to combat root-knot nematodes (Meloidogyn spp.) [Re: greentiger87]
    #17970373 - 03/17/13 06:54 PM (11 years, 14 days ago)

I wouldn't go grain directly to your grow bed.  Inoculating blocks of wood chips/dust and then placing in your beds will probably be more fruitful.  It is amazing how fast mice and other rodents can find and consume grain.  Letting it colonize on some type of wood substrate before you put it outside may be more productive.  In any account it will give the myc a better chance of survival.

--------------------
Myco-tek

OfflineBad Kitty
fruiting
 User Gallery
Re: using Pleurotus species to combat root-knot nematodes (Meloidogyn spp.) [Re: Jeff]
    #17970860 - 03/17/13 08:49 PM (11 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

Jeff said:
I wouldn't go grain directly to your grow bed.  Inoculating blocks of wood chips/dust and then placing in your beds will probably be more fruitful.  It is amazing how fast mice and other rodents can find and consume grain.  Letting it colonize on some type of wood substrate before you put it outside may be more productive.  In any account it will give the myc a better chance of survival.

Fruitful =)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: using Pleurotus species to combat root-knot nematodes (Meloidogyn spp.) [Re: Bad Kitty]
    #17970903 - 03/17/13 08:56 PM (11 years, 14 days ago)

P cubensis will work just as well or better at trapping root knot nematodes as oysters and they will prefer a rich manure soil mix too.  I found this out back in the 80s when I was growing pot.  The nematodes would literally eat the whole root ball just below the surface and the plants would fall over dead.

I noticed all the plants I had dumped spent cube substrates into had no nematodes.  I then inoculated all the rest of the plants and the problem was cured.  I didn't even know about oysters at the time, and found out about this by accident.  I mostly wanted to know if the spent substrates would make better fertilizer than fresh manure(they do) and the extra mushrooms were always nice as well.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblefortheloveofnature
 User Gallery

Re: using Pleurotus species to combat root-knot nematodes (Meloidogyn spp.) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #17971255 - 03/17/13 10:03 PM (11 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
P cubensis will work just as well or better at trapping root knot nematodes as oysters and they will prefer a rich manure soil mix too.  I found this out back in the 80s when I was growing pot.  The nematodes would literally eat the whole root ball just below the surface and the plants would fall over dead.

I noticed all the plants I had dumped spent cube substrates into had no nematodes.  I then inoculated all the rest of the plants and the problem was cured.  I didn't even know about oysters at the time, and found out about this by accident.  I mostly wanted to know if the spent substrates would make better fertilizer than fresh manure(they do) and the extra mushrooms were always nice as well.
RR

:bow2: what a incredible accident.

--------------------
:kong:TRADE LIST:kong:
sclerotia info
FSPThreads
1-2-3-4

Looking for a confirmed Gymnopilus Luteus print

Gymnopilus sp

OfflineBad Kitty
fruiting
 User Gallery
Re: using Pleurotus species to combat root-knot nematodes (Meloidogyn spp.) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #17973435 - 03/18/13 10:35 AM (11 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:

RR

I've been thinking of Tilling my spent oyster sub into my garden, since I have quite a bit, and not enough wiggler worms to eat them up yet.  Were you adding that spent sub str8 up (assuming its healthy) or do I need to pasteurize it first?

Offlinegreentiger87
Stranger
Re: using Pleurotus species to combat root-knot nematodes (Meloidogyn spp.) [Re: Jeff]
    #17974526 - 03/18/13 02:41 PM (11 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Jeff said:

This makes perfect sense.. and I'm not really sure why I decided on grain spawn to begin with. Other than the fact that I have plenty of raw grain around, and wanted to try the lactic acid fermentation method. I've honestly had some trouble finding wood chips of the right consistency, but that's just laziness. Also, pasteurizing wood substrates will raise more eyebrows from my family, but that's nothing new.

Thank you for the great advice.

Offlinegreentiger87
Stranger
    #17974594 - 03/18/13 02:59 PM (11 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:

RR

I don't doubt your experience, but are you sure what you had were root-knot nematodes? They don't really "eat" roots per se, they create galls and twisted, knotted up root systems. Of course they also provide wounds and a weakened plant will often end up succumbing to other fungal diseases, which then decay what's left of the root system. Please don't take offense, I'm just not sure how familiar you are with plant pathogens.

I have seen several references to Psilocybe species producing nematicides, so I'll definitely look into it. There's also the legal issues, which I'd rather not have to worry about. Regardless, thank you for the lead and experience!

Offlineebruckner
Stranger
Male

Loc: Northeast Ohio Flag
    #17979313 - 03/19/13 12:57 PM (11 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:

RR

Good thing the cops didn't find out you were growing cubes on your pot roots.:wink:

--------------------
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
-Albert Einstein

Polecat Pines Mushroom Farm

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures