Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChynnaDoll
Stranger
1st grow attempt- Mycellium only growing at one inoculation point on TOP of verm??
    #17961489 - 03/15/13 05:24 PM (11 years, 16 days ago)

Hey guys, im new to the form and the shroom cultivating experience. I've been reading up on it and other pyschedelics since new years and am on a sort of spirit quest which led to my psychoplants.

After reading up on multiple growing methods I settled on using the simple BRF/Verm substrate cause I dont have that much space (I room with my sister and her friends) and growing it in my closet.

I'm already a neat freak so I disinfected my lab AKA bathroom (hahahaha) as much as I could after I sterilized my jars on the stove for an hour and a half.

Now I dont know if its a contamtination or if i didnt put the right measurements of verm/water/BRF in the substrate but its been almost two weeks and theres only mycellium gorwing on top of the pure verm layer thats over the mixture, and its also only at one inoculation point. The other side as no signs of life or mycellium o.O

I just got back from a three day vacation and peeked in at my little mason jar and it looks the mycellium keeps growing UP instead of spreading out through the jar cause i dont see anything on the glass, its only on top of the verm.

Am i growing some other type of mold/fungus instead of shroom mycellium? Cause I dont see any discolorations or smell weird smells. I dont know if im overanalyzing and freaking out cause right when I was about to give up (im not good at growing things) i saw the first mycellium dot.....now I'm not so sure if I did anything right at all.

Help? The spores i used were African Transkei btw.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIntelligentxfruit
Earth Hippy

Re: 1st grow attempt- Mycellium only growing at one inoculation point on TOP of verm?? [Re: ChynnaDoll]
    #17961563 - 03/15/13 05:41 PM (11 years, 16 days ago)

When you inoculated did you make sure to puncture the dry verm layer?

It sounds like you injected the spores on top of the dry verm layer instead of actually injecting the brf past it.

However...the dry verm layer should have very little nutes and should be dry, making growth difficult.
You also should not be able to see the top of it.

Pictures would be helpfu.

OfflineDoomSquirrel
Squeak!

Re: 1st grow attempt- Mycellium only growing at one inoculation point on TOP of verm?? [Re: ChynnaDoll]
    #17961572 - 03/15/13 05:45 PM (11 years, 16 days ago)

Make some pictures op, but honestly making a lab out of the bathroom is bad idea; it's humid environment with lot of germs, regardless of hygiene precautions taken.

--------------------

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: 1st grow attempt- Mycellium only growing at one inoculation point on TOP of verm?? [Re: DoomSquirrel]
    #17961615 - 03/15/13 05:53 PM (11 years, 16 days ago)

there shouldnt be anything growing in the dry verm layer, if its dry.

www.mushroomvideos.com

follow the pf tek videos

using the bathroom is probably one of the worst places to perform inoculations. Use a still air box for inoculation procedures.

Also get your spores from a trusted shroomery sponsor

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineCapn Blue Beard
The Majestic Beard
Male

Re: 1st grow attempt- Mycellium only growing at one inoculation point on TOP of verm?? [Re: DoomSquirrel]
    #17961623 - 03/15/13 05:54 PM (11 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

DoomSquirrel said:
Make some pictures op, but honestly making a lab out of the bathroom is bad idea; it's humid environment with lot of germs, regardless of hygiene precautions taken.

Ive always used a small bathroom.. havent had a contam in a while since using it.

I prefer it because its a small space and easily sanitized :smile:

As for the dry verm layer colonization.. just hope it doesnt grab a contam. It will colonize down into the most substrate but it will take a little longer than normal.

--------------------

My Level 5 Trip Report
Having a Troubled Grow? Read This!
Capn Blue Beards Brothel -  Old Grow Log
"I honestly dont grow drugs. I just try to provide them the perfect environment, they have to grow themselves."- MoGrow
** I have been gone for 10 months, any and all information I supply could be old, wrong and unintentionally fictional. I apologize for this in advance and recommend you wait for more information before settling on my advice.**

OfflineChynnaDoll
Stranger
Re: 1st grow attempt- Mycellium only growing at one inoculation point on TOP of verm?? [Re: Capn Blue Beard]
    #17961714 - 03/15/13 06:11 PM (11 years, 16 days ago)

I injected the spores below the dry verm, i saw the 'water' run down so thats why its confusing me as to why its only groing on top of it and i cant see any from the side of the jar.

I'm just wondering what I did wrong (besides the bathroom bit).

I just tried to upload my photo and it said only stuff from the archives is allowed to be attatched to posts :/ (did i do that wrong too? XD)

OfflineCapn Blue Beard
The Majestic Beard
Male

#17961757 - 03/15/13 06:24 PM (11 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

ChynnaDoll said:
I injected the spores below the dry verm, i saw the 'water' run down so thats why its confusing me as to why its only groing on top of it and i cant see any from the side of the jar.

I'm just wondering what I did wrong (besides the bathroom bit).

I just tried to upload my photo and it said only stuff from the archives is allowed to be attatched to posts :/ (did i do that wrong too? XD)

To insert an image it take basic coding.. itll look like this [img] imageurl [/img] without the space. It looks lke a broken image code without the spaces there. [img] imageurl [/img] without the spaces makes is a working bbc code and looks liek this . Theres no actual picture because I didnt use an actual url

As for the dry verm colonization.. it could be a number of things from your finger pressing slightly on the syringe while pulling it out to solution on the syringe head etc etc or cob web mold. I dont think CW mold is too common at that stage though.. Im sure someone will correct me on this.

--------------------

My Level 5 Trip Report
Having a Troubled Grow? Read This!
Capn Blue Beards Brothel -  Old Grow Log
"I honestly dont grow drugs. I just try to provide them the perfect environment, they have to grow themselves."- MoGrow
** I have been gone for 10 months, any and all information I supply could be old, wrong and unintentionally fictional. I apologize for this in advance and recommend you wait for more information before settling on my advice.**

Edited by Capn Blue Beard (03/15/13 06:25 PM)

Offlineillumi.naughty87
Old Uncle Nutty
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st grow attempt- Mycellium only growing at one inoculation point on TOP of verm?? [Re: Capn Blue Beard]
    #17962099 - 03/15/13 07:52 PM (11 years, 16 days ago)

I would bet that it's gonna be fine. I think most people have experienced one spot colonizing and the rest remaining inactive for a while. Eventually one spot will wrap around the whole jar, or other spots will take off after a while. Either way, the bathroom is a POOP room. I would use another room if I were you.

OfflineFeralBen
Stranger
Re: 1st grow attempt- Mycellium only growing at one inoculation point on TOP of verm?? [Re: illumi.naughty87]
    #17964437 - 03/16/13 01:26 PM (11 years, 15 days ago)

I had this issue when I made the verm level too thick or the brf/verm mix wasn't packed down and when it was pc'd, it compacted and the needle wasn't able to break through the verm layer 

I have had success doing a quicker harder squirt to get past the verm layer. But if you are only getting growth on the verm layer, growth will be so slow, you're better off starting over ime.

OfflineTrippyJuice
 User Gallery

Re: 1st grow attempt- Mycellium only growing at one inoculation point on TOP of verm?? [Re: FeralBen]
    #17965446 - 03/16/13 06:20 PM (11 years, 15 days ago)

Look into self healing lids. I find them easier to inoculate because if your lids have a filter you can ditch the dry verm layer all together. Plus you dont need a still air box inoculate open air.

--------------------
We trippy mane!

Offlineillumi.naughty87
Old Uncle Nutty
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st grow attempt- Mycellium only growing at one inoculation point on TOP of verm?? [Re: TrippyJuice]
    #17967241 - 03/17/13 03:40 AM (11 years, 14 days ago)

caliko27, your avatar makes my brain hurt.
:blowmybrainsout:

OfflineTrippyJuice
 User Gallery

Re: 1st grow attempt- Mycellium only growing at one inoculation point on TOP of verm?? [Re: illumi.naughty87]
    #17968136 - 03/17/13 11:06 AM (11 years, 14 days ago)

Lol sorry bout that.

--------------------
We trippy mane!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures