Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemilddub
Future MushroomGod

MYCOBAG PROBLEM
    #1788817 - 08/07/03 02:06 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I innoculated 4 grain based mycobags 14 days ago with Golden Teacher spores. I have kept the temperature at 83 degrees the whole time (except for the first day where it was between 80-88.7 or so....) I have mushed the substrate twice since innoculation and there is still no signs of mycelium growth. I am getting worried because NONE of them are colonizing.... Any suggestions? Should I possibly try liquid mycelium ive been hearing about?

Do you think theres a chance its going real slow because not enough spores got in the bags? I saw a few black specs sitting on the bottom of the syringe that did not make it into the bag...

I injected right throw the black injector tab the O thing, and directly into the substrate in the bag.... a few inches in...

PLEASE HELP! THANKS IN ADVANCE!

-Wayne

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleph_plus
Malkawian

Loc: Constantinople
Re: MYCOBAG PROBLEM [Re: milddub]
    #1788876 - 08/07/03 02:25 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Everything sounds right.... Did you innoculated the bags right after you received? if not, in what conditions and how long did they stay? There is just 1 possibility IMO;
Grain can be rotted due to keeping under unhealthy conditions...

Even if there were little spores in the bag, 14 days is still too much for no sign of colonization. How much spore sollution did you use to innoculate per bag and what size are the bags.....?

--------------------

The word truth...... doesn't make any sense..... As if the word sense...... which isn't the truth.........

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: MYCOBAG PROBLEM [Re: ph_plus]
    #1788885 - 08/07/03 02:29 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

To me, it sounds like your spores were dud, which can happen from time to time. Where did you get them from?

Invisibleph_plus
Malkawian

Re: MYCOBAG PROBLEM [Re: OJK]
    #1788898 - 08/07/03 02:32 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

i was just editing my post to add that..... :smile:
agreed!

--------------------

The word truth...... doesn't make any sense..... As if the word sense...... which isn't the truth.........

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: MYCOBAG PROBLEM [Re: OJK]
    #1788899 - 08/07/03 02:32 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Agreed.  I've had bags take months to show any sign of colonization -- just too few viable spores.  They turned out fine, though :wink:

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Offlinemilddub
Future MushroomGod

Re: MYCOBAG PROBLEM [Re: micro]
    #1788965 - 08/07/03 02:49 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I innoculated the bags 5 days after recieving them. They were sitting in my bottom drawer in the dark and never got hotter than 90 in my house. The spores were stored in the same place.

I ordered the spores from Ralphsters, and I have heard a lot about how good his service is. I put between 2 and 2.5 cc's of solution in each bag. I ended up using the beginning of a second syringe... I doubt they were duds.... both syringes?

Ive heard that mycelium can grow in the center of the bag and not be visible. I did inject the spores somewhat in the middle. Hmmmm.... frustrating!!! Any words?

I have heard anywhere between 80-86 is good. Mines staying at 83 and has only fluctuated a few degrees from that.... for the past few days the temp hasnt moved at all....

THANKS FOR THE HELP BTW: they are 1 lb bags. Got another 2 of them and dont want to make any of the same mistakes.

-Wayne

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
    #1788988 - 08/07/03 02:56 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

If you broke it up inside the bag you should have seen something, but yeah -- there's a chance it's fine. If there were spores in the syringe (you say you saw black spots) it should grow at some point....

You put the spores in -- there's no contamination so as long as the substrate didn't get fucked up, somehow, you're doing fine.

I'd wait a month before reinoculating but it can dry out if you wait too much longer after that....

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Offlinemilddub
Future MushroomGod

Re: MYCOBAG PROBLEM [Re: micro]
    #1789034 - 08/07/03 03:09 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yea there were dark spots in the syringe.... im getting so anxious. So have a lot of people had to wait between 14 and 20 days for signs of mycelium growth? This whole colonizing phase is supposed to take like 21 days but I always think things are exxagerated...

-Wayne

Invisibleph_plus
Malkawian

#1789080 - 08/07/03 03:25 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

When u use pre-sterilized mycobags and quality syringes, you elliminate most of the reasons for your substrate  to colonize slowly. And you say they're staying around 80 degrees.  2,5 cc's per bag sound acceptable too.... Everything sounds right. If you didn't shake the bags well, colonization from inside to outside is a probability. Shake them gently and see if there's any myc. growth inside. If not, listen to Micro..... :grin: He's more experienced than i am..... :smile:

Another Q: Did you buy prints and prepared your own syringes or did you directly buy syringes?

--------------------

Invisibleph_plus
Malkawian

#1789096 - 08/07/03 03:30 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

milddub said:
Yea there were dark spots in the syringe.... im getting so anxious. So have a lot of people had to wait between 14 and 20 days for signs of mycelium growth? This whole colonizing phase is supposed to take like 21 days but I always think things are exxagerated...

-Wayne

i buy empty mycobags, fill them with the substrate prepared by myself and PC it for about 1-1,5 hours @ 15 psi...... i use a little bit more spore sollution than you do.. And shake them well right after colonization... The myc. appears in about 3-4 days and it generally fully colonizes in about 7-10 days... (according to amount of spores in it)

--------------------

Offlinemilddub
Future MushroomGod

#1789134 - 08/07/03 03:43 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Well.... I thought of 1 possible problem... I innoculated the bags with the syringe, removed the needle and innoculated at the opposite angle without wiping the syringe down with 70% alcohol again... would this bring possible contam problems??????? After each bag was innoculated I wiped down the syringe and the next bag to be innoculated.... would this 2 second period between when I took the syringe out and put it back into innoculate again fuck things up!? I hope not or im fucked!

thanks a lot guys, very helpfull

-Wayne

Invisibleph_plus
Malkawian

#1789232 - 08/07/03 04:15 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

even if contaminated, you should see some growth... maybe of contams but anything...... Smell the bags of their filters.... Do they smell nasty?

--------------------

Offlinemilddub
Future MushroomGod

#1789255 - 08/07/03 04:23 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yea I shook them up, I dont really see anything growing.... ive never seen mycelium up close in real life though..... there may be a little.. Anyone think the bags got contaminated this way though? By pulling the needle out after the first innoculation and not sterilizing it before innoculating for the second time 2 seconds later??

-Wayne

InvisibleDanKnugget
Mysterious Traveller
Male

Loc: On a boat
    #1789521 - 08/07/03 05:35 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

as ph_plus said, you should at least see SOME growth, even if it is contams. It is probably just growing in the middle of the bag, whatever IT is.

--------------------
My 3 proverbs:
1. School is for people who don't know stuff.
2. Jobs are for losers.
3. Reading is for people with nothing better to do.

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Loc: Florida, USA
Re: MYCOBAG PROBLEM [Re: DanKnugget]
    #1789844 - 08/07/03 07:25 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

if you shake the bags too much, it takes longer

Offlinemilddub
Future MushroomGod

Re: MYCOBAG PROBLEM [Re: MsPacMan]
    #1790674 - 08/07/03 11:25 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The filters don't smell nasty. I started 2 more bags with a new strain.... we'll see how both of these strains end up.

-Wayne

Invisibleph_plus
Malkawian

#1792988 - 08/08/03 04:49 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Maybe, what they only need is patience......!!! :smile:

Cause, everything still sounds right...... Pray some.... :grin:

--------------------

Offlinemilddub
Future MushroomGod

#1793798 - 08/08/03 08:47 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Praying is about the only thing I CAN do right! :smile: Its been two more days and I dont see growth. :frown:  I plan on re-innoculating the 4 bags in a week and a half i no growth appears.

-Wayne

Offlineflow
outlaw immortal
    #1793826 - 08/08/03 08:58 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

sounds to me like your spores were duds, thats really the only thing i can think of. afoaf had the same prob innoced ten mycbags with four different syringes and only half the bags worked. some people sday taht the spores can get f'ed up in the mail in the summer b/c of the heat.

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Re: MYCOBAG PROBLEM [Re: flow]
    #1794095 - 08/08/03 10:34 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

treasure coasts have a reputation as being slow colonizers, however, it sounds odd for 14 days with no signs of growth. I'd shake/stir it and determine if the mycelia is growing on the inside. If not, contact the vendor about replacement syringes.

--------------------
In response to an attack killing 15 American Servicemen
PsiloKitten said:
Just give em a little more time, the iraqis are making great progress. And this is unorganized. Wait till they get organized.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate