Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleichbinkiffer
...like amo'fuckie

am i allergic??
    #1787038 - 08/06/03 11:39 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

7-8 years ago i had an allergic reaction to eating a raw mushroom (read: not a magic mushroom), which i had previously enjoyed eating. since then i have not eaten raw mushrooms on anything, however i have eaten cooked mushrooms as the heating process chemically alters the mushroom.

several months ago i ate some magic mushrooms which were inside a chocolate without allergic incident in the least and tripped nicely.

my question--does putting magic shrooms into a chocolate change their chemistry any, or would they still be considered raw? i have an allergy to fungus...is it safe for me to eat shrooms in the future? if not raw, then what are some ways i could prepare them in order to bypass any reactions?

obviously this is a fairly serious issue so i will do further research into my susceptibility to allergic attacks when eating shrooms, but i was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the matter.

thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleichbinkiffer
...like amo'fuckie

Re: am i allergic?? [Re: ichbinkiffer]
    #1787071 - 08/06/03 11:49 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

btw my dog has been experimenting with growing mushrooms (of the gourmet, non-psilocybin variety of course) and i have had no trouble when i come into contact with the birthed cakes or anything else mushroom related.

would taking an antihistamine block any adverse reactions?

Edited by ichbinkiffer (08/07/03 12:02 AM)

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
    #1787136 - 08/07/03 12:15 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I really dont know, but i would like to know how severe the first reaction was?

To me...it seem's that mushroom chocolate's are just the same as raw (dried) or otherwise unadultered mushroom's, and if you dont have reactions when handling mushroom's or fungus's....then i suspect you'll be fine eating dried mushrooms...but im not doc.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#1787166 - 08/07/03 12:31 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

It doesn't sound to me like you're allergic to mushrooms at all.
What actually happened when you had your "allergic reaction"?
Some species of mushrooms shouldn't be eaten raw because they concentrate dangerous chemicals (eg. hydrazine) which are driven off during cooking. All psilocybes are fine to eat raw.

Invisibleichbinkiffer
...like amo'fuckie

Re: am i allergic?? [Re: zeta]
    #1787178 - 08/07/03 12:38 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

my single allergic reaction to the raw mushrooms all those years ago involved some difficulty breathing due to a tight feeling in the chest. never had an experience like that before that one day nor did i have anything like it when i ate the shrooms in chocolate. mycelium cakes don't seem to bother me either.

something i forgot to mention earlier--when i was a kid, i was allergic to cats. my eyes would get watery, i'd start sneezing and i'd get itchy. currently, however, i can be around cats and interact with them without any of the aforementioned ill effects. is it possible to grow out of allergies like this?

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#1787260 - 08/07/03 01:18 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I'd say the best idea is just to approach eating shrooms with caution.
Perhaps suck on a bit of shroom for a few seconds then spit it out and wait for a few hours? Then try swallowing a little bit of shroom?
It all depends how much caution you feel is necessary.
I would be extremely surprised if you have any allergic reaction to shrooms.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: am i allergic?? [Re: zeta]
    #1787349 - 08/07/03 02:32 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I dont think your allergic at all, id pop a benadryl and then eat your shroom's and make sure someone experience'd and sober is there to assist if necessary, but from the info given i very highly suspect that you will experience nothing, i think you had a one time fucked up situation due to who know's what.

And yes, it is possible to grow out of allergies, rather...many allergies are Learnt rather than real...subconsciously of course, for whatever reason, and....as Dr. Weil (your everyday super herbalremedy dude)Experienced after taking LSD...you can unlearn certain...a fairly large percentage of allergie's. I cant provide you a link...but there is a fair amount of information about it...

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1787661 - 08/07/03 07:48 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

> 7-8 years ago i had an allergic reaction to eating a raw mushroom

Was this verified by a doctor, or did you just assume that it was the mushroom based on the timing of the reaction?

It might have been a reaction to a contamination on the raw mushroom rather than the mushroom itself.

Either way, go slow and be careful.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisibleichbinkiffer
...like amo'fuckie

Re: am i allergic?? [Re: Seuss]
    #1787752 - 08/07/03 08:58 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

thanks for all of the replies, everyone.

we have a few raw (gourmet) mushrooms around the house so to "test" my allergies i broke a tiny piece off and ate it. i had no problems whatsoever. all the evidence seems to point to me not being allergic, but next time i eat some shrooms i'll be sure to be careful.

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
    #1789704 - 08/07/03 06:32 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ichbinkiffer said:is it possible to grow out of allergies like this?

Yes, actually. It's possible to both acquire and lose allergies.

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate