Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemycuriousity
Beginner
Male

Loc: Canada
Using SFDs when growing sclerotia...
    #17817521 - 02/17/13 07:35 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I've searched but come up with nothing.. I'm wondering, when growing sclerotia (Mexicana A) in a jar with a synthetic filter disc lid, do you have to cover/fill the inoculation hole after injecting with a spore syringe?? I know that wrapping up the whole lid with tinfoil would eliminate the contamination threat, but it wouldn't allow for any breathing, which sclerotia need as I understand.. So should I just put a bit of polyfil over the hole after I make it? Advice please!

Also, as a side note/question... I've read opposing opinions on whether or not to give the jar a little shake immediately after inoculation, and on what the ideal growing conditions are (some say in the dark at 70 degrees, others say in the light at 80 degrees)... If any of you have actual experience could shine some light would be awesome, thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDestitute
floss daily

Loc: where
Re: Using SFDs when growing sclerotia... [Re: mycuriousity]
    #17817620 - 02/17/13 08:23 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Colonization at around room temp is best, not over 75 to be safe.
I don't understand what you mean, your lid should have 2 holes, one with a SfD for filter and one with a self healing injection port or polyfill

Offlinemycuriousity
Beginner
Male

Re: Using SFDs when growing sclerotia... [Re: Destitute]
    #17820432 - 02/17/13 05:03 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I'm looking at getting a pre-sterilized substrate jar, and the lid is just the plain white synthetic filter disc on top of a regular lid with 3 holes drilled in it. The site says to inject through one of the holes, but that's it. They don't say whether or not to cover or fill the hole that's left.. (unless these synthetic filter discs are self-healing? I assume not..)

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Trusted Cultivator
    #17820445 - 02/17/13 05:06 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

You never inject through SFDs. If you do, you've just ruined your filter.

Also, don't buy pre-sterilized jars. Get some Mason jars, some Polyfil and some grain and DIY.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

OfflineSpicy
Symbiont

Re: Using SFDs when growing sclerotia... [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #17820541 - 02/17/13 05:28 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

A shake after a little growth can speed up colonization time but never shake near stone formation. Which can start well before full colonization too. Room temp and not in darkness. .

Spicy

--------------------
Everything has beauty, not everyone sees it.
Perfection is subjective!

Offlinemycuriousity
Beginner
Male

#17820633 - 02/17/13 05:48 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I'm just going by the how-to video on the site that sells them.. They inject through the white top (filter). And yeah I'd love to do it myself and save some dough, but this is my first time trying to grow and I don't have a pressure cooker or anything, so I'm going with pre-sterilized jars. Maybe I'll try it myself if it's successful and I get enough spore prints to do some experimenting with

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Trusted Cultivator
    #17821667 - 02/17/13 09:05 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mycuriousity said:
I'm just going by the how-to video on the site that sells them.. They inject through the white top (filter). And yeah I'd love to do it myself and save some dough, but this is my first time trying to grow and I don't have a pressure cooker or anything, so I'm going with pre-sterilized jars. Maybe I'll try it myself if it's successful and I get enough spore prints to do some experimenting with

You're gonna end up spending more for less yield than if you did it yourself. You also won't be able to track down problems if they occur.

Take it from someone who's done both - pre-sterilized jars are a complete ripoff.

I also still highly suggest against poking holes in your filter. If need be, you can crack the lid in a SAB and inoculate with your syringe that way.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

Offlinehoudinihar
Adventurous Learner
 User Gallery

#17821727 - 02/17/13 09:18 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

36fuckin5 said:
You never inject through SFDs. If you do, you've just ruined your filter.

Also, don't buy pre-sterilized jars. Get some Mason jars, some Polyfil and some grain and DIY.

i disagree here friend. you can definitely inject directly through filter disks just fine, as i have been doing this for years without any problems. you do not ruin the disk whatsoever. some of my disks have been sterilized dozens of times with no ill effect. my favorite way of injecting is at about a 45 degree angle to the lid. the disks i use are very durable. i have not bought any from our suppliers, but i have sold plenty here in the past and still have my originals which are several years old.

houdinihar

Offlinemycuriousity
Beginner
Male

Re: Using SFDs when growing sclerotia... [Re: houdinihar]
    #17822195 - 02/17/13 10:53 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

So when you do that, do you cover up the hole with tape or polyfil or anything? Or just leave a small hole open?

And yeah, I know I'm spending a lot more buying a substrate jar than making my own, but unless I can find a cheap/used pressure cooker, I think it's the right move.

OfflineSpicy
Symbiont

#17823586 - 02/18/13 07:52 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Don't puncture SFDs it can damage them. If you're buying jars just buy jars with self healing lids and a filter, from one of the sponsors listed here.

Spicy

--------------------
Everything has beauty, not everyone sees it.
Perfection is subjective!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Using SFDs when growing sclerotia... [Re: Spicy]
    #17823610 - 02/18/13 08:02 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Another option is in a glovebox to simply lift the edge of the lid slightly and shoot the solution right in.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate