Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
A reddening Lepiota
    #1752649 - 07/27/03 09:17 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Just thought I'd share some pics of a few reddening Lepiota. These things come up in thick clusters in a woodchip/mulch bed some neighbors down the street had hauled in. I always thought they were Lepiota americana, but the mushrooms I have been finding never have any type of veil or veil remnants. Any ideas what species this paticular red staining Lepiota may be? I can't tell what kinda of woodchips they are growig from. Like I said, they grow clustered in large groups, they started fruiting in late early june, and have steadily been coming up since. They drop a white print as expected. Everything fits L. americana except the absent veil.

Some pics...

LK,

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: A reddening Lepiota [Re: Lizard King]
    #1752735 - 07/27/03 10:11 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The more weird Lepiotas I see the more I'm sure that the genus is underrated in difficulty. None of the books come right out and say it's difficult (as they do with Agaricus), but there are sure a lot of Lepiotas that aren't in any books.

The photos are of fine quality, but I'm not sure how big they are. How wide are those caps and how thick are the stems?

Do the scales on the cap rub off easily? Are they sort of powdery in texture?

How fragile are they? Are they so fragile that it's difficult to get one home in reasonable condition? Are they tough and durable?

You don't mention it so I suspect there isn't, but is there any odor to them?

If possible, could you tell us the shape of the spores? Moser says that spore shape is an important character in Lepiota.

They're certainly interesting specimens. The fact that the cap margin is strongly sulcate suggests that they're actually Leucocoprinus rather than Lepiota. Many of the larger Leucocoprinus species bruise reddish (section Anomali).

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: A reddening Lepiota [Re: Lizard King]
    #1752737 - 07/27/03 10:15 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Nice find Lizard.

I assume you meant Leucoagaricus americana

In that third pic it looks like i see a little bit of veil reminants on the stem??

One time i found Leucoagaricus americanus here in florida at the edge of a persons lawn at the edge of wooded lot,
-the white gills stained the same reddish/orange color
-and the scales had larger squamules

Thanks for sharing buddy,

Keep shroomin,
GG

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract