Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineElvish
enthusiast
THE QUESTIONS.
    #1750193 - 07/26/03 03:54 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

{I've been reading some posts lately that touch on things I've had on my mind for years and I'm hoping that with our combined experiences, knowledge and understanding we can  SIMPLIFY or CLARIFY some spiritual issues. This is a hard enough task, so, please, be kind and forgive unintentional arrogance or stupidity. Thanks for reading this far, and double Thanks for any thoughts you put back into this thread! It's much appreciated!}
Okay, even though these questions overlap and contain certain assumptions, I've gotta start somewhere...so, from the academic angle...
1.How did Humans get to be so intellectually advanced from the other species?( Wouldn't Natural Selection stop at the first sign of dominance?)

2.'COMMON WISDOM' STATES:"We are all headed towards the same goal but are each taking separate paths." Any thoughts on WHAT this goal might be? An UNlearning of our separateness? To go back to being as we were before the acquisition of the 'forbidden knowledge' of the Bible? (or is this 'goal' what we call evolution...and therefore a DIRECTION? Is this direction guided? By whom or what, where is it headed and for what, if any, purpose?
2.b)'COMMON WISDOM' ALSO STATES:
        ~'The concept of Enlightenment is held sacred only by the  unenlightened. Hierarchies are for the insecure. Drop labels and quit comparing.'~
Well, actually Sclorch stated this, and as a general idea it brings up interesting paradoxes for me. I believe the 1st'Enlightenment' Sclorch is talking about is a Noun as oppossed to the verb form of the 2nd,it doesn't really matter...it could be saying, in effect, "He who thinks there is knowledge is not knowledgable" (which is a wonderfully confusing idea!) and 'Comparing' is virtually unescapable as long a you have some sense of self. "I'm proud that I now have no pride" and "compared to before, I do not compare at all!"
Does this make sense? Without a sense of time, memory, or self there is nothing to compare only the ETERNAL NOW. But getting to this point requires comparison...but the more you TRY to get there the farther it recedes!This is CONFUSING SHIT TO ME!!!

...and finally, the personal rendition of question #2...
3. What is a worthwhile direction one should take to achieve 'happiness'? How do we go about this? Yesh-Yesh, personal uniqness and all, but what are some of the characteristics YOU find important?
Okay, that's it for now,those of you who actually waded through all that bullshit.Thanks! :smirk:
Sorry it was so long and confusing, I tried to make it as simple and clear as possible for 4:47 in the morning!  :tongue:
Peace! and patience!   

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
Re: THE QUESTIONS. [Re: Elvish]
    #1750223 - 07/26/03 04:53 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I beleive true happiness comes from not seeking any answers. Instead of trying to answer the eternal question 'Why are we here'. Try accepting the beauty of just existing, just being completely content sitting and recieving instead of constantly proccessing and concluding thoughts.

Some thing shrooms have taught me is how to turn off mind boggle and just be.

--------------------

OfflineQuadrant6
Blood Red Eyes

Loc: Holland
Re: THE QUESTIONS. [Re: Ego Death]
    #1750291 - 07/26/03 07:32 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

evolution? aliens? who knows. I think language & thumbs are the only thing that seperate us from the animals, and im pretty sure they can communicate in thier own way if not telepathically. We can just build cool shit.

I think a common goal is world peace, but i think it starts with inner peace. Evolution is learning by your mistakes. We physically and mentally adapt to be able to conquer new problems, and i think our mother earth is guiding us. That we are all part of a working system, and maybe in order to reach where we are going we have to take this not to smooth road.

Enlightenment is what you make of it, and I dont think you should lose yourself as much as your ego. And not really lose your ego, but udnerstand it, and how it works. Know what it does and why it does it, and then you will start to understand that what you are doing is centered around the self.

Last but not least, i think you should find answers for yourself. Sure you can do everything in the world that someone else has recommended, but if we wernt capable of getting answers on our own, we wouldnt have any. I think you should figure out what works for you, and go with it...there are no rules when it comes to life and happiness. Just go with the flow and let your heart lead you to where you feel comfortable & at home.

--------------------
"Time is the substance from which I am made. Time is a river which carries me along, but I am the river; it is a tiger that devours me, but I am the tiger; it is a fire that consumes me, but I am the fire."
Jorge Luis Borges

OfflinePyronate
Prying open mythird eye

Loc: Forever I walk among the ...
    #1750610 - 07/26/03 11:52 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

46&2 are just ahead of me...

The trick to reaching the "ETERNAL NOW," as you call it, is to let go. Let go of all preconceptions of reality. Let go of all preconceptions of self. Let go of all preconceptions of reference, logic, and rationality. Let go of all preconceptions of emotion and empathy. Let go of everything except the fact that you exist, for, ultimately, that is all that matters.

As to achieving happiness... happiness is a state of mind. When you decide to have it, you will.

--------------------
"It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom... keep that in mind at all times."

--Bill Hicks (RIP)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: THE QUESTIONS. [Re: Pyronate]
    #1750814 - 07/26/03 01:47 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Pyronate said:
The trick to reaching the "ETERNAL NOW," as you call it, is to let go. Let go of all preconceptions of reality. Let go of all preconceptions of self. Let go of all preconceptions of reference, logic, and rationality. Let go of all preconceptions of emotion and empathy. Let go of everything except the fact that you exist, for, ultimately, that is all that matters.

And do what it takes to step through. ... hehe
The trick is to do everything he said there... and to still live your life. That's the beauty. And it is perfectly easy.
Watch your life from the audience.. an audience privelged to all of the actor's thoughts and feelings, mistakes and intentions. It is basically creating another perspective in your head, a Universal one that sees and feels all, and is just there. The two perspectives don't communicate with each other, they just both run their course seperately and acknowledged of each other.
And, like the expression goes, when you give it all up, you get it all back. That holds up, too.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineElvish
enthusiast
Re: THE QUESTIONS. [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1752360 - 07/27/03 02:43 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I'll take these replies to heart.
Thanks!
:heartpump:
Peace & patience.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~Elvish. 

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #1754245 - 07/27/03 09:50 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

1.How did Humans get to be so intellectually advanced from the other species?( Wouldn't Natural Selection stop at the first sign of dominance?)

Generally Humans inheritly have a larger capacity for learning. We are able to rationalize, create complex external structures, ponder our environment. Animals perform a function and so do we, on Earth, it just so happens that we became the 'intelligent' species. Dolphins are still smarter though..

2.'COMMON WISDOM' STATES:"We are all headed towards the same goal but are each taking separate paths." Any thoughts on WHAT this goal might be? An UNlearning of our separateness? To go back to being as we were before the acquisition of the 'forbidden knowledge' of the Bible? (or is this 'goal' what we call evolution...and therefore a DIRECTION? Is this direction guided? By whom or what, where is it headed and for what, if any, purpose?

The goal is learning through experience.. which tranlates into real world physical knowledge of interactions, knowledge equals learning, learning equals evolution. It is an eternal process of actions, thoughts, and interactions, that creates karma, that creates learning through experience. The collective mind utilizes this collective experience to constantly evolve. That is the purpose of Creation, to evolve. We are aspects of Creation, experiencing, learning, evolving.. in subjective experiences.

3. What is a worthwhile direction one should take to achieve 'happiness'? How do we go about this? Yesh-Yesh, personal uniqness and all, but what are some of the characteristics YOU find important?

I've found through my studies on the physical realm, that love is the primary factor in determining happiness. One should realize, however, that the negative aspects of our life are there for a reason, and we should learn from them, and they should make us happy :smile: 

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #1754604 - 07/28/03 01:03 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hmm... to really answer this question, I think we must first have a better understanding of the human brain. Has it evolved in the past 5 thousand years? If so, how much?
Obviously there was a threshold that the brain once crossed. this must have shifted the locus of selection towards memes and away from genes. Was brain structure (or function?) responsible for this shift? Basically, natural selection HAS NOT stopped. The locus of selection merely shifted. Now, looking back in history, we can see many examples of memes grasping to fill voids and plunging to their deaths, for better or worse.
Did that answer your question?

Question 2: Direction?
I think you have a decent understanding of what I was getting at with this:
"I'm proud that I now have no pride" and "compared to before, I do not compare at all!"
Here's a story from Sclorch's Life?:
A few years back, I had a short-lived romance with a girl named "Kate". Kate was a cool chick, but she had this co-dependent streak. One afternoon, after only a month or so of dating, we were on the swing outside my apartment. She leaned over and said to me "Sclorch... I think you're great." I knew what she really wanted to say, but she was fishing to see if I felt the same way. So I said "thanks. I think you're great, too." This is not the response she was looking for (the 'L' word...). She kept digging, so eventually went off saying that I thought it was ridiculous that such feelings - even if true - didn't really need to be verbally communicated. And if she was looking for that, I couldn't help her (let alone the fact that it had only been just over a month!). The moment I could have shared with her right then was lost...

The obvious doesn't really need to be stated.
"When you give it a name, it means less. Like short, clever one-liners that mean nothing to the masses? " -Scl

Question 3: What is happiness?
Well, to me, happiness is something like external coherence with an internal value system. I know what makes me happy.... but it won't necessarily be the same for everyone else (ignoring hedonistic "happiness" because I don't think this is what you're talking about). There is no universal path to happiness. Also, I think happiness is a transient state. The whole yin/yang thing....

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: THE QUESTIONS. [Re: Shroomism]
    #1755269 - 07/28/03 06:21 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Dolphins are still smarter though

Says who?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineTheHobbit
Pot Head Pixie

Loc: the Oily Way...
Re: THE QUESTIONS. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1755315 - 07/28/03 06:46 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Well, if you read 'Food of the Gods' you'll find the argument that psylocibin mushroom consumption may have been a catalyst in this regard.

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: THE QUESTIONS. [Re: Sclorch]
    #1755447 - 07/28/03 07:53 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Obviously there was a threshold that the brain once crossed.

My pet theory is that the brain started to grow when bipedalism made the hands free for clever manipulation of the environment. And meat eating provided the rich nutrition for this process.

After the neocortex development crossed the threshold, I guess all the rest (language, culture, philosophy, etc) came into existence sort of like side effects.

OfflineTheHobbit
Pot Head Pixie

Loc: the Oily Way...
Re: THE QUESTIONS. [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1755597 - 07/28/03 09:07 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Everyone really debates what came first, the bipedalism or the expanding brain, opposbale thumb, etc, and what it all meant, but maybe that's not even the right way of looking at the question. The various components may have evolved in concert with one another, and perhaps psylocibin functioned as a catalyst as well. We'll never really know.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: THE QUESTIONS. [Re: TheHobbit]
    #1759657 - 07/29/03 01:33 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Elvish, did you disappear again?

*looks under a rug*

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineElvish
enthusiast
Re: THE QUESTIONS. [Re: Sclorch]
    #1760660 - 07/29/03 06:54 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, I'm here...relatively speaking of course.
  These are interesting ideas. Let's see...
1) I still don't understand why humans are so powerful in this world.  If Psilocybin was the...(or one of the?)causes for evolution, wouldn't all animals who eat shrooms, including my dog, be evolved as well? Perhaps the ability to manipulate the enviroment (which came about because of opposable thumbs, which came about because of bipedalism.) had a lot to do with our understanding of the world. But, what lead us to be...Bipedalistic(sp?!)to begin with?

QUESTIONS 2&3...
    These questions seem unanswerable. Perhaps the questions are flawed. Maybe there are different directions for different kinds of people. I have always known that you must make up your own mind. At the same time, though, there is no need to reinvent the wheel.
I'm now wondering what provoked me to even ask these questions to begin with. I think I have been curious about death (and life) for a long time. I tend to be a moody little son-of-a-bitch and am usually more interested in OTHER realities and possabilities than those presented by 'the majority'. Sometimes, I cannot WAIT for this life to end, and blissful blankness to dissend...
(poetic, no?)...but ,most times, I just wonder what is going on and what should I be doing with my life. Is happiness enough? Should I balance helping myself with helping others? Balance silent acceptance with political actions? Balance balance with unbalance? balance balance balance balance!!!!Should I wander into the desert and drill a hole in my head to let God or whoever know that I seriously WANT KNOWLEDGE? need understanding?
Anyways....some meditation is in order...for my own sanity.
I'm glad this is still being disscussed, keep me posted...and...
perhaps I'll tell you all about the time I took four bottles of Robotussin and tried to access my pre-natal memories...
:laugh:

by the way...I can't spell.     

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag