Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinersouellette
the new guy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida Flag
ok so im a noob and need help (maybe)
    #17269165 - 11/23/12 01:53 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Well i am a big fan of shrooms and decided to try my hand at growing them below i am going to explain what i plan to do and hopefully i will be be corrected (if it seems like i am going to fail)
  so i ordered pre-sterilized(2rye and 2 grain) grain bags(be here Tues) and i have my spores  i plan on using that rtv silicone to make my inoculation point after i have done that i plan on waiting till its about 30-40% colonized before i break it up a lil and let it Finish spawning and i plan on bulking it to verm and coir using a bucket to pasteurize  (thinking about adding gypsum should i or no?) i have tubs that are 16lx11wx10h they will have about 3" of bulk in the bottom the ill let it re colonized (covered dark 75 degree closet)after it looks all good give it like 4-5 days then i will then remove tape i have over the holes i plan on stuffing with poly fil and start a 12/12 light cycle (daylight bulb) letting it fruit. i will be very sterile without using a glove box i have doctors mask gloves and alcohol wipes  does this sound good ?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleserotonin storm
Don't be scared, homie!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Holland
Re: ok so im a noob and need help (maybe) [Re: rsouellette]
    #17269610 - 11/23/12 03:41 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Definitely use gypsum. don't colonize in the dark, light is beneficial to mycelium at all stages of life. Also, if you have 4 grain bags that is enough to do 8 of those tubs. I use the same dimension of tray, except not as tall for my GH and I only use 2-3 quarts per tub and one of your grain bags will probably be anywhere between 4-6 quarts. So I would use 2 tubs per bag, depending on the size.

Other than that, good luck dude

--------------------
Trade List

Offlinersouellette
the new guy
Male User Gallery

Re: ok so im a noob and need help (maybe) [Re: serotonin storm]
    #17270290 - 11/23/12 06:17 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Thx. My bags are only 1 lb spawn bags. Im thinking its more like I qt.  I really don't know bc I haven't revived them yet. How much gypsum should I use? Im using about4 its and 4 its course as my vulk

Invisibleserotonin storm
Don't be scared, homie!
Male User Gallery

#17271211 - 11/23/12 09:12 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah I'm not sure what one full quart of berries weighs, but I imagine it would be around a pound or so. They must be really small bags!

When you spawn your bags, if they really are equal to one quart, I would do two per tub, to the coir/verm mix add 10% by volume of gypsum. So basically for every ten quarts of spawn and sub mix put 1 quart of gypsum, or to be more specific if you use 2 bags (assuming they are one quart) to half a brick of coir (which most are 8 quart and that would give you a 1:2 ratio, which is good but you dont want to go higher than that, I usually do 1:1 or 1:1.5) you would put in a little over a pint of gypsum.

But then again you probably won't use the entire half brick because you are also using verm. So for a 50/50 mix you would use a quarter of the brick and 2 quarts of verm, gypsum stays the same amount. Also I HIGHLY suggest lining the inside of the tub with black trash bags. It will decrease the amount of annoying side pins.

And make sure your polyfilled holes are correct size and right placement
Good luck, keep the board updated

--------------------
Trade List

Offlineamungus
Scag Baron
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #17271581 - 11/23/12 10:46 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I wait for pins before I introduce fruiting conditions,I know a few other members do also.

--------------------
:penis::penis:
"Seems so sick to the hypocrite norm Running their boring drills But we are an elite race of our own The stoners, junkies, and freaks" - Layne Staley

Invisibleserotonin storm
Don't be scared, homie!
Male User Gallery

Re: ok so im a noob and need help (maybe) [Re: amungus]
    #17273044 - 11/24/12 10:19 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I would recommend this for a beginner as well, it'll help your pin set and over all yield

--------------------
Trade List

Offlinersouellette
the new guy
Male User Gallery

#17273519 - 11/24/12 12:17 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

should i save a little of my coir/verm and put a thin casing layer on top?

Invisibleserotonin storm
Don't be scared, homie!
Male User Gallery

#17273553 - 11/24/12 12:24 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Some people layer when they spawn, some people mix and put a thin layer on top and some don't put the thin layer on top.

It's all personal preference really.

--------------------
Trade List

Offlinersouellette
the new guy
Male User Gallery

#17273567 - 11/24/12 12:28 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

serotonin storm said:
Yeah I'm not sure what one full quart of berries weighs, but I imagine it would be around a pound or so. They must be really small bags!

When you spawn your bags, if they really are equal to one quart, I would do two per tub, to the coir/verm mix add 10% by volume of gypsum. So basically for every ten quarts of spawn and sub mix put 1 quart of gypsum, or to be more specific if you use 2 bags (assuming they are one quart) to half a brick of coir (which most are 8 quart and that would give you a 1:2 ratio, which is good but you dont want to go higher than that, I usually do 1:1 or 1:1.5) you would put in a little over a pint of gypsum.

But then again you probably won't use the entire half brick because you are also using verm. So for a 50/50 mix you would use a quarter of the brick and 2 quarts of verm, gypsum stays the same amount. Also I HIGHLY suggest lining the inside of the tub with black trash bags. It will decrease the amount of annoying side pins.

And make sure your polyfilled holes are correct size and right placement
Good luck, keep the board updated

if i do 1:2 it will ony leave about 2" of spawn in my tubs  now if i do like 1:3 it will get me closer to my desired 3" now should i just try it or will it be too way much?

OfflineTomkin
Sire
Male User Gallery

Loc: England
    #17274483 - 11/24/12 04:05 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

i took the advice of not incubating in the dark and got super early pins with about 25% of the jar colonized.  i dont see how incubating in the light is beneficial? all it did was screw my jars up. but i know nothing i only know from my own experience. so please enlighten me

Invisibleserotonin storm
Don't be scared, homie!
Male User Gallery

Re: ok so im a noob and need help (maybe) [Re: Tomkin]
    #17275220 - 11/24/12 06:59 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

If you got pins at 25% that's from a contamination. Not from the light.

I use tubs the exact same dimension as you and with a 1:2 ratio it's always around 4"
Where are you coming up with this 2" estimate? Are you using the bulk calculator or?

--------------------
Trade List

Offlinec0ri
 User Gallery

#17275523 - 11/24/12 08:07 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Break up at 40%, never again.
Use a gypsum. (Between 1 cup to 1 pint, depending on your research.)
Closet doesn't need to be dark.
Don't remove tape until you ATLEAST see knots or pins.

1 lb. of rye berries is about 3 to 3.5 quarts.

I do a 1:3 typically every grow with no issues.

Offlinersouellette
the new guy
Male User Gallery

#17275584 - 11/24/12 08:22 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

serotonin storm said:

I use tubs the exact same dimension as you and with a 1:2 ratio it's always around 4"
Where are you coming up with this 2" estimate? Are you using the bulk calculator or?

Yeah im using the web based one is it fucked up?  Lol. Ill just do the math my self I guess

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
    #17275816 - 11/24/12 09:15 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Pour water in the tub 1 quart at a time for a rough estimate.

Invisibleserotonin storm
Don't be scared, homie!
Male User Gallery

#17275834 - 11/24/12 09:18 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

rsouellette said:
Quote:

serotonin storm said:

Yeah im using the web based one is it fucked up?  Lol. Ill just do the math my self I guess

I've never used it. Do what hacker says, but also remember that the water is more dense than the coir and spawn mix. The two will be fluffed up a bit with air pockets and what not.

--------------------
Trade List

Offlinec0ri
 User Gallery

#17279846 - 11/25/12 04:13 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I've found over the years that 10 quarts of substrate comes out to PERFECT field capacity with 1 gallon of water. But that's only for the things that I use. I tried someone elses recipe and it was way off. Only way to know for sure is to slowly add the water like Hacker said and get your routine figured out.

Also, I don't know if he fixed it or not but things like gypsum don't actually add bulk to the substrate so there isn't any reason to add it to the bulk calculator as they add a percentage on the website but dont actually add anything to the substrate, bulk wise.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom