Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAround In Circles
Eternally Recurring

derpd
    #17219327 - 11/14/12 03:15 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Damn

Edited by Around In Circles (03/30/23 04:09 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJoeMama1992
Asleep at the Wheel

Re: Antidepressants [Re: Around In Circles]
    #17219371 - 11/14/12 03:22 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Even though I have my own horror stories of antidepressants (Zoloft, to be specific.), they do help some people. If you've exhausted every other route and feel you have no other way to turn, I say go for it, but only in the safest, most gradual way possible, and ask plenty of questions along the way.

Offlinedanlennon3
LivingIsEasyWithEyesClosed.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
    #17219379 - 11/14/12 03:24 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Personally I would try every other route possible of alleviating your depression before taking prescription antidepressants. Dune Raver made an awesome thread yesterday, it may be helpful to you too. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17212363#17212363

--------------------
"Psychedelics should be used not to escape reality, but to embrace it"

OfflineZoboomafoo
Observer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virgina, USA
Re: Antidepressants [Re: danlennon3]
    #17219409 - 11/14/12 03:29 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Can you identify any specific causes of your depression?

--------------------

Skatistan: Afghanistan is rad

OfflinePatlal
You ask too many questions
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
    #17219425 - 11/14/12 03:33 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Anti depressants worked wonders for me. Although I had a hard finding the one that worked for me. I tried 5 different one before I finally found the one that works wonders on me.

The thing you ave to keep in mind is that the first week, if your are sensitive to drugs, you will feel fucked up. Perhaps very fucked up. On the bed, feeling like your gonna have a stroke for an hour. Look up serotonin syndrome, these are the side effects I normally get the first 3 days. Its fucked, but it goes away.

I tried Topamax: It wasn't for me. I walked in circles in my living room with a thousands thoughts per second. Even after the first week, it kept doing it so I quit

I tried Effexor: Worked very well, brain zaps the first week but very manageable. I had to quit after 3 years because I was too comfortable. I was happy even if my life was crumbling apart, but I felt really well. I quit it because I was a happy zombie. But it worked well for years.

I tried Wellbutrin: That one did not work for me AT ALL. Panic attacks etc. I quit after a month (but I should have quit after a week). Most people fell great on this med, but it wasn't for me.

I tried Cipralex: It works wonders. Its my med, for sure, it the ying to my yang. I'm motivated, ambitious, energetic, happy, I wake up when my alarm clock rings and it isn't hard to wake up, I work better, I'm focused, etc. I have only been on it for a month. It literally saved my life, I was going nowhere fast before I started taking it. BUT first week was hell. I had EVERY symptom of serotonin syndrome in the first 3 days. I really REALLY wanted to quit the med because of it, but I hanged on and I don't regret the 3 days of misery at all.

Sorry for the long post, but I'd rather risk a tl;dr than give you a short stupid answer.

As for Bi-polar, try Lamotrigine. It has no side effects whatsoever to me, no hard time starting. No withdrawal when I miss a day.

Hope I helped

--------------------

OfflineAround In Circles
Eternally Recurring

Re: Antidepressants [Re: Zoboomafoo]
    #17219446 - 11/14/12 03:38 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Zoboomafoo said:
Can you identify any specific causes of your depression?

Not trying to sound poor-me here, but I grew up in a fucked up family and witnessed some fucked up stuff. Other people always have it worse; I am very aware.

My psychoanalyst couldn't believe that I didn't lose my mind entirely...

OfflineDarwin23
INFJ
Male User Gallery

Loc: United States Flag
Re: Antidepressants [Re: Around In Circles] * 1
    #17219462 - 11/14/12 03:42 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Antidepressants work. The SSRI called Lexapro didn't work for me but the NDRI called Wellbutrin has, significantly so. The SSRI called Paxil helped my brother and his girlfriend took an SSRI which made a strong impact on her.

People like to talk shit on antidepressants and I don't really get it. If you've ever had real severe depression, you know that there is no thinking your way out of it. You don't say "Hey, I think life is good" and then it becomes better. You can't even meditate it away. When it's there, it's there.

--------------------

Take a look at my journal

OfflineblueIdevil
Stranger
Male

Loc: Portcouver, Oreton
Re: Antidepressants [Re: Around In Circles] * 1
    #17219510 - 11/14/12 03:50 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

check out the film "The Marketing of Madness"
an active torrent can be found here

youtube:

having said that, there are a few positive stories I've heard, but remember, these are mind altering chemicals that are fucking with your brain chemistry even more, and shrinks and pharmaceutical companies are only really guessing about what they're really doing to you. Pharmaceutical companies don't even care if they kill you or ruin your life. You're an acceptable loss in the face of their profit.

edit:
I tried six or seven in my late teens/ early twenties. none of them worked, and I gave them all a real shot. Truth is, the world is mostly depressing, and its relatively natural to feel the way you do if you have a conscience. there's less wrong with your head than there is with the current human condition.

maybe consider trying out daily doses of minute amounts of mushies for a while? Also SAMe and L-theanine and GABA are all relatively natural, wholistic ways of dealing with it. They all worked for me, with nopne of the horrible side effects pharmies had.

--------------------
In their daily life, all are braver than they know...
-Henry David Thoreau

Edited by blueIdevil (11/14/12 03:59 PM)

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
    #17219543 - 11/14/12 03:56 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

i used st. john's wort one winter due to seasonal depression and it worked really well. according to what i've read, in studies it performs as well as pharmaceutical anti-depressants but with much fewer side effects. if i were you, i'd look into that option first :smile:

--------------------

OfflineblueIdevil
Stranger
Male

Re: Antidepressants [Re: deff]
    #17219564 - 11/14/12 04:01 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

deff said:
i used st. john's wort one winter due to seasonal depression and it worked really well. according to what i've read, in studies it performs as well as pharmaceutical anti-depressants but with much fewer side effects. if i were you, i'd look into that option first :smile:

It's also a mild MAO inhibitor, so you'd have to take into account the choices of other mind-altering substances you consume, and how they react in combination with MAO inhibitors.

--------------------
-Henry David Thoreau

OfflineJonnyBtreed
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Northeast
Re: Antidepressants [Re: blueIdevil]
    #17219598 - 11/14/12 04:10 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Vitamin D and staying active really seemed to really help with my seasonal depression issues. I myself had a pretty horrific experience with zoloft as have many other people I've talked to. Normally having to do with blackout suicide attempts and weird drug interactions.

I'd suggest trying to go the natural route first man. those synthetic SSRI's and MAOI's can really screw with your head

Edited by JonnyBtreed (11/14/12 04:10 PM)

OfflineZoboomafoo
Observer
Male User Gallery

#17219917 - 11/14/12 05:08 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I believe that is a probably source.  I have a great family.  However, I witness some things i probably shouldn't have seen and I'd say bullying was a good source of mine.  Dealing with depression and anxiety I feel that i am very experienced with coping.  Once you try to identify the exact experiences which may have brought depression upon you, I think you will get somewhere.  Confrontation with memories I suppose.  Tell me if I'm wrong.

--------------------

OfflineblueIdevil
Stranger
Male

Re: Antidepressants [Re: JonnyBtreed]
    #17219961 - 11/14/12 05:14 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

JonnyBtreed said:
Vitamin D and staying active really seemed to really help with my seasonal depression issues.

:thumbup:
endorphins work wonders. regular sex helps too.

--------------------
-Henry David Thoreau

Offlinempd
Lammen Gorthaur
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mostly at home... Mostly....
Re: Antidepressants [Re: Zoboomafoo]
    #17220012 - 11/14/12 05:20 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I have been a long term user of anti-depressants for more than fifteen years.  Here follows what little wisdom I have managed to amass on this topic:

1. If you are bi-polar, you need to balance both the mania and the depression.  EffexorXR has worked really ell for me in the past, but it will leave you listless and dopey in higher doses.

2. Marijuana will complicate your treatment as it is a depressant and it induces paranoia (at least it does in my case).

3. You have to be patient and flexible.  What works for you this month may become ineffectual next month, forcing you to start all over again with a new drug therapy.

4. Keep talking.  Working with professionals works.  If you have a good therapist stay with them!

5. A sense of humor goes a long way.  Some days you eat the bear and some days the bear is going to eat you.  It won't be the end, it will just be one of those tough days you just have to tough out.

Good luck to you!

--------------------
There is no truer calling for mankind than that of true conservatism.

OfflineZoboomafoo
Observer
Male User Gallery

Re: Antidepressants [Re: mpd]
    #17220031 - 11/14/12 05:24 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Depression and anxiety wasn't and isn't a disease for me.  I thought it was and i thought drugs and talk therapy would help, but then i realized that its a part if me.  I need it. 

So many answers came with my contemplation as to why i was feeling the way i did.  When it was at its worst it was absolutely horrible.  I'm surprised i'm still alive sometimes.  However, i wouldn't have it any other way.

I say forget the drugs and talk therapy.  Figure out what it is and become its master.

--------------------

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

Loc: Geospatial inversion.
    #17220359 - 11/14/12 06:22 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.biopsychiatry.com/ghb/authentic.html

If you decide to use drugs, why SSRI/DNRI's/...?

GHB is the only chemical that has instilled elevation of symptoms; instills a feeling of genuine happiness and has such an impact that it even makes me forget I have taken something in the first place.

Though I used this to counter the side-effects of weltschmerz; depression and this are definetly not the same.

Please do not take this drug lightly; it is abusable and it is addictive but if you stop thinking in a box and stop looking at it as recreational use(without excuses!); just for a one-month-therapy I bet it can do wonders.

PS:
I am in no way putting this drug on a pedestal unlike the writer in my link; I do however believe it's an effective method/possibility.

Edited by Beanhead (11/14/12 06:36 PM)

OfflineAround In Circles
Eternally Recurring

Re: Antidepressants [Re: Beanhead]
    #17229636 - 11/16/12 01:14 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks to everyone; I'm still giving my +5s out.

:rockon:

--------------------
"When you get the message, hang up the phone." - Alan Watts

We Die to Remember What We Live to Forget

Jump to top Pages: 1

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder