Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineShroomerited
Male User Gallery

Something doesn't feel right about college...
    #17011331 - 10/11/12 11:47 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I graduated high high school in 2010, went to community college for two years, and transferred. I moved up here on September 1st. All I could think about for awhile was getting here, bettering myself and learning all I could. Now that I'm here, I don't know. I don't feel right at all. I feel so out of place. The first night here I felt like shit. I haven't felt that absolutely horrible before or after.

I've been in school a few weeks now and I feel so out of it. I'm doing fine in the classes, but it just doesn't feel right.

I'm studying math, and want to do a double in electrical engineering. I love math. I love physics, science, all that stuff. I enjoy what I study. I guess the biggest thing is just the money. It's over 10k/year to go here, plus rent and shit. My parents have enough saved for THIS year. But after I have to take loans (planning on 3 years here). Loans scare the hell out of me. Engineering is a good degree to have, but at the same time fuck loans.

Something doesn't feel right. It's all so empty. I study, go to classes, walk around. But I'm not really doing anything. I just study, do problems, and whatnot. I sometimes think "is it really worth putting myself in a shitton of debt to learn about prime numbers or how waves work or whatnot?". I'm not saying it's not worth it, I just have doubts.

At community college, whenever I had doubts I just thought "ehh, it's just a few hundred bucks, if I really hate it I can drop out and not have a problems". Now I feel trapped. I have a year long lease at this house. I'm enrolled.

I fucking love math, but this situation just doesn't feel right. I don't know why.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAlabama Slim
Chinese river witch

Re: Something doesn't feel right about college... [Re: Shroomerited] * 4
    #17011345 - 10/11/12 11:51 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Studies math and realizes the numbers on paying his loans dont add up........ sounds like the classes are doing you good.

OfflineShroomerited
Male User Gallery

Re: Something doesn't feel right about college... [Re: Alabama Slim]
    #17011363 - 10/11/12 11:54 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Alabama Slim said:
Studies math and realizes the numbers on paying his loans dont add up........ sounds like the classes are doing you good.

Yeah. Awesome. You're real funny. :rolleyes:

Offlinegshock50
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #17011379 - 10/11/12 11:56 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Interesting topic. Sub'd. Give us some more info on your school environment so we can have an idea of where you are coming from. Also, I PM'd you.

--------------------
"It is the nature of the wise to resist pleasures, but the foolish to be a slave to them. "

OfflineShroomerited
Male User Gallery

Re: Something doesn't feel right about college... [Re: gshock50]
    #17011389 - 10/11/12 11:58 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Nothing really to tell, it's a standard large research university. To answer your questions, I'm an extremely social person and I met tons of cool people here. But still it feels empty.

Offlinethe_drummer
Stucking Foaned
 User Gallery

Loc: The Kan-Abyss
Re: Something doesn't feel right about college... [Re: Alabama Slim] * 4
    #17011409 - 10/11/12 12:02 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Don't go to college if you're afraid of loans. It's the world we live in.

A long time ago, the only people who went to college were the people who could afford it. And then there was a couple of revolutions and suddenly everyone was equal and we all deserved the same opportunities. So enter colleges and universities: business only concerned in making money, with a pretty front in public education. Yay for capitalism.

But for real, if you're paying too much for school, go somewhere else. You will ALWAYS find somewhere cheaper. Colleges want your money. I was spending a ridiculous amount to go to some little preppy liberal arts school that no one had ever heard of. I basically had a mental breakdown realizing I was feeding into the facade of higher education and realized I could get the EXACT same education at a fraction of the price by going to a state university. Problem solved. Unfortunately not before I wracked up thousands in debt.

Another sad story: I had a friend who went to some specialty school to study computer animation. His dream was to work for PIXAR. I guess the cool thing about his school was that he could get a BA in two years instead of four. The problem: He's over 100K in debt after two years and guess what-----he couldn't find a job in America. He's teaching English overseas and has been for several years now.

Think long and hard about your education man, because that's NOT what they want you to do. The system is set up to get you through as quickly and expensively as possible. It's your choice, don't cave into peer-pressure or parental pressure or any sort of authority figure pressure. If you're going to take the plunge into higher education, make sure you've really thought about it...and I mean more than just the rote "I want a good job that pays lots of money" BS.

/rant

--------------------

"That's the vernacular, isn't it?" --Mrs. Peel

OfflineThe_Ghost
ゴースト

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: USG Ishimura Flag
Re: Something doesn't feel right about college... [Re: Shroomerited]
    #17011421 - 10/11/12 12:04 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomerited said:
Nothing really to tell, it's a standard large research university. To answer your questions, I'm an extremely social person and I met tons of cool people here. But still it feels empty.

At least you have that. I tried meeting interesting people at college but eventually gave up. Professors that have a spark of creative vision were extremely rare, and the rest was all meaningless point systems designed to make you fail even if you understand the material, and attendance bullshit..

--------------------
/ / / / / / / LISTEN TO MY MUSIC: E X E D / / / / / / /
The universe gives no fucks. And takes no fucks.
May His Circuits Ever Function

OfflineShroomerited
Male User Gallery

#17011430 - 10/11/12 12:05 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Also, another question you asked. I don't have much work experience. I've done odd jobs, worked seasonally for like a month at this candy place, been a math tutor for my friend. I guess that's also there, not having as much work experience as I'd like.

I don't know, not saying I don't want to keep at it. I just don't feel right. For instance I went to check out the boxing club (I love boxing). And everyone was nice, the coach knew his shit. But when they said it cost $65, I was basically immediately turned off. The training they did would definitely be beneficial. It just didn't seem right. It would be worth it if it were free. And hell $65 isn't bad for 10 weeks of boxing lessons with arguably good coaches. It just felt wrong, though...

Offlinespoonbomb
    #17011571 - 10/11/12 12:32 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

So its pretty much the money ruining everything, you feel since you've committed there's a lot of pressure on you to do well in college and get a good job otherwise you're fucked for life because of those huge loans.

Engineering is a good degree that will earn you good money.

You need to either get used to being in debt or get out of college.

If you don't have a job why don't you try and get one?
Try to minimise how much you need to borrow.

--------------------

OfflinePOWAtrippinDiscord
Decidedly Undecided.
Male User Gallery

Loc: zone 9b
Re: Something doesn't feel right about college... [Re: spoonbomb]
    #17011605 - 10/11/12 12:37 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I know a couple E. Engineers who have just graduated and were almost immediately hired in 80k+ a year positions.

I understand the debt is a pain but at least you are not going into some field where the only thing you can do is teach.

Although i have a feeling that education is bubbling the same way the real estate market did in california.

--------------------
Don't believe everything you think.  TRADE LIST

‹Sell Your Soul› You know this place is owned and operated by the Illuminati, right?
‹lsdwithme› i possibly just smoked a rat turd :facepalm:

Offlinethe_drummer
Stucking Foaned
 User Gallery

Re: Something doesn't feel right about college... [Re: POWAtrippin] * 1
    #17011632 - 10/11/12 12:41 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

GreedAndVanity said:

Although i have a feeling that education is bubbling the same way the real estate market did in california.

This.

Something has got to change in higher education. It's waaaaay past due.

--------------------

Offlinejw2234
Astral Traveler
Male

Loc: Bay Area Flag
Re: Something doesn't feel right about college... [Re: Shroomerited] * 1
    #17011700 - 10/11/12 12:48 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Hmm. I feel nearly the same way about my college experience. I go to again a small liberal arts school that costs a lot of money (someone apparently did the math and its 200 dollars for each class.................... I know......). Anyway I'm taking the semester off at the moment partially to heal from a nervous breakdown I had at school and partially to really build my discernment and to see if I really want to go back there. What am I interested in now? What are my passions? I ask these questions because that is the guiding needle to my compass of life. I will not work a 9-5 job doing stuff I am not interested in. Simply won't do it.

I'm gonna use this thread to clarify my sight of myself and my life if you'll allow. Maybe my honesty will help you and others. I hope only for the best outcome.

First I believe our society is very quickly morphing into one that is sculpted by love, into a society that accepts all in it and that teaches kids at a very young age to follow their dreams and passions and to do what they really want to do with their life. I believe that in our lifetimes we will see the advent of this very positive society based on love. No more living to survive and get by, were here to do what we want to do with this wholly holy existence we find ourselves in.

Thus I believe there will be and are kids and people that naturally develop into music makers, art creators, natural leaders in thought, politics of love, philosophy, psychology, historians, anthropologists, etc, even bakers, electricians, architects and plumbers.

I want to be one of the heralds of this new way of living on planet earth, and I know that I have the opportunity to live a life of my creation, to live a life that is a full representation of my highest joy. For me this means being myself always, because everything I want will then come to me. What am I interested in? Astronomy, archaeoastronomy, space, space exploration, philosophy, psychology, awareness and consciousness, our connection to the universe, the journey of the shaman. I'm also a musician specializing in jazz rhythms and rock/funky stuff. As well I create art too to express myself. As such there are many doorways open to me, and I will use discernment to see which ones I wish to open and follow. At the school I will be returning to in february I have the opportunity to take classes at nearby colleges so I'll definitely be taking one or two astronomy courses. We have the chance, the choice to follow a path of our dreams. I choose that path no matter who objects, no matter what comes my way, I will move through.

--------------------

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

there is nothing to fear with this chemical besides astonishing realization that everything IS indeed 1 entity

Questions

Edited by jw2234 (10/11/12 12:50 PM)

OfflineLuc1d
Listener

Re: Something doesn't feel right about college... [Re: jw2234]
    #17011750 - 10/11/12 12:55 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

what a bunch of fucking nonsense. you actually believe all that shit you are rambling on about????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol:

--------------------

InvisibleAlabama Slim
Chinese river witch

Re: Something doesn't feel right about college... [Re: Luc1d]
    #17011762 - 10/11/12 12:58 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Let him think what he wants before all of life's pressures bare down on him permanently crushing his dreams by age 30.

Offlinethe_drummer
Stucking Foaned
 User Gallery

#17011770 - 10/11/12 12:59 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html
http://www.ted.com/talks/sir_ken_robinson_bring_on_the_revolution.html

This is extremely amazing and I suggest everyone watch it. The second video is particularly inspiring.

--------------------

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
    #17011817 - 10/11/12 01:08 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Ahh, college.

I can speak to this subject as a man who went only to community college, for 4 years, and holds no certificates or degrees.

going into school, I had a profound idea, that i always had hoped to work for myself. As such, the traditional degrees, which included biology and chemistry I was allready familiar with from highschool. It also included countless hours of social studies and humanities, of which I felt i was allready acquainted with enough.

As such, i focused more on business classes, and in my 4 year run, took the vast majority of all of the business classes the college offered. I did however neglect to take any appropriate accounting classes, something that 10 years later is one of my main regrets.

That being said, I believe that the money on my education was well spent, I am fortunate in that my plan for life worked out. I know several other friends who contraversely went to college for a degree, and were unable to find work for several years after their school was completed. Thus leaving them underemployed at gas stations and other minimum wage restaurants.

That being said, I can pretty much tell you that the fact of the matter for those that are underemployed is that they just decided to settle, they gave up. They did not try hard enough, sell them selves enough to beat out the other competition in the job market.

If you're going to go to school to get a degree, you damn well better boost your self confidence and ego enough to the point where you can say, " YES I AM THE MAN FOR THE JOB, AND HERES WHY YOU SHOULD HIRE ME OVER THE OTHER 400 PEOPLE OUTSIDE IN THE WAITING ROOM, WITH THE SAME DEGREE" some times thats a particular brand of past expierence, volunteer work, sometimes its an academic award for going above and beyond. but you have to find your edge and your confidence somewhere, because without it.... you'll be behind a counter working at a gas station or mcdonalds with that fancy degree gathering dust.

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Offlinejw2234
Astral Traveler
Male

Loc: Bay Area Flag
    #17011820 - 10/11/12 01:09 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Luc1d said:
what a bunch of fucking nonsense. you actually believe all that shit you are rambling on about????

Quote:

Alabama Slim said:
Let him think what he wants before all of life's pressures bare down on him permanently crushing his dreams by age 30.

Thanks for both of your perspectives. Is that where your dreams went? Sorry to hear that.

--------------------

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

there is nothing to fear with this chemical besides astonishing realization that everything IS indeed 1 entity

Questions

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Something doesn't feel right about college... [Re: Shroomerited] * 1
    #17011834 - 10/11/12 01:10 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I'd suggest you at least develop a plan before dropping out.  What is is that you want to do?  What would make you "feel right"?

Indeed, it would be great if we could "foster creativity", and let kids do whatever they hell they wanted.  If society could support millions of video game testers, musicians, artists, dancers and professional marijuana smokers, it truly would be grand. 

Unfortunately, life is demanding and it just doesn't work that way.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

InvisibleAlabama Slim
Chinese river witch

#17011942 - 10/11/12 01:32 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I'd rather fail at being a musician and work in a gas station over failing at college and working in the same gas station. Crippling debt and a depressing job is much worse than no debt and a no job. I'd rather be a freed slave than an indentured servant.

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

Loc: Gamehenge
Re: Something doesn't feel right about college... [Re: the_drummer]
    #17011994 - 10/11/12 01:39 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

the_drummer said:
Don't go to college if you're afraid of loans. It's the world we live in.

A long time ago, the only people who went to college were the people who could afford it. And then there was a couple of revolutions and suddenly everyone was equal and we all deserved the same opportunities. So enter colleges and universities: business only concerned in making money, with a pretty front in public education. Yay for capitalism.

Definitely not all colleges are like this.

Quote:

But for real, if you're paying too much for school, go somewhere else. You will ALWAYS find somewhere cheaper. Colleges want your money. I was spending a ridiculous amount to go to some little preppy liberal arts school that no one had ever heard of. I basically had a mental breakdown realizing I was feeding into the facade of higher education and realized I could get the EXACT same education at a fraction of the price by going to a state university. Problem solved. Unfortunately not before I wracked up thousands in debt.

Another sad story: I had a friend who went to some specialty school to study computer animation. His dream was to work for PIXAR. I guess the cool thing about his school was that he could get a BA in two years instead of four. The problem: He's over 100K in debt after two years and guess what-----he couldn't find a job in America. He's teaching English overseas and has been for several years now.

Your friend had unrealistic dreams, only the best of the best get to work for Pixar. That was his own fault, really. When attending college and spending a lot of money on it you have to have a real plan for your future that is achievable and you have to choose a college that is known for helping their students get hired.

Quote:

The_Ghost said:
At least you have that. I tried meeting interesting people at college but eventually gave up. Professors that have a spark of creative vision were extremely rare, and the rest was all meaningless point systems designed to make you fail even if you understand the material, and attendance bullshit..

Man, you guys went to some shitty colleges. My experience is the exact opposite of this.

Quote:

Shroomerited said:
It just felt wrong, though...

Feeling wrong is all about your own perception. It really has nothing to do with the situation. Maybe you should look at another college though. I love the college I go to. Every day I feel so happy and lucky to be working with such intelligent and driven people.

--------------------
Sapere aude

"We cannot live for ourselves alone. Our lives are connected by a thousand invisible threads, and along these sympathetic fibers, our actions run as causes and return to us as results."

UBUNTU- I am because we are.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom