Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedickmcplentie
Traveler
Loc: Orions Belt at the moment
PF Jars and a high loss rate
    #1690399 - 07/06/03 03:00 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

My friend the 3 toed sloth has seen a very high rate of contam loss in some 1/2 pint PF tek style jars w/ dry Verm "lids". Out of a dozen jars 3 are already lost, 2 are suspect and in quarantine. The inoc occurred 9 days ago, tape was removed after reading many posts that were describing her slow growth and the cure as being air exchange. The jars have been "open" for only a few days in a Sterlite 122 qt container, the contam has occurred (become visible) only after opening. In the same incubation chamber she has many other jars that are showing no (0%) contam. She has done several different teks in the hopes of fine tuning a personal "favorite". Some of these teks have Polyfill lids, others use Tyvek, both are holding up perfectly, but the tyvek is easier to work with and of course its free.

Conclusion: Poly fill & Tyvek rock. Thanks for the help to all of your experienced animal friends

I hope this will help other noobs avoid similar problems

--------------------
The above statement has been a figment of my imagination. Niether the statement nor the writer is real, we are both fiction & should not be taken seriously in any way

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

Loc: South East, U.S.A.
Re: PF Jars and a high loss rate [Re: dickmcplentie]
    #1690418 - 07/06/03 03:07 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Tyvek...where do you get it for free?

--------------------
"It has been said that kids say the darndest things, but so would you if you had no education"

Offlineneutralizer
Spiritual beinghaving a Humanexperience
Loc: This Planet Earth
Re: PF Jars and a high loss rate [Re: DannyBoy]
    #1690450 - 07/06/03 03:17 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Post office, just ask for the tyvek envelopes/packages.

You took the lids completely off? I'm a newbie so I didn't know you could do that even if you had a filter on top. Maybe that's why they got contam'ed?

--------------------
There are things known, and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors - Morrison

OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

Loc: South East, U.S.A.
Re: PF Jars and a high loss rate [Re: neutralizer]
    #1690493 - 07/06/03 03:36 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

so since air exchange is so important...should one take the tape off of the holes and rubberband a coffee filter over the top? Does it matter at which point in growth you allow air exchange or the sooner the better (for PF style jars)

--------------------
"It has been said that kids say the darndest things, but so would you if you had no education"

Offlinefactory81
enthusiast

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ibiza, Spain
    #1690624 - 07/06/03 04:35 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

In the growlog and pictures someone posted a tupperwear sterile container with gloves, you should try something along those lines for incolonation and incubuation period. With that and the use of tyvek you can get around contams pretty well. Dont forget disinfectent wipes and spray lysol.

OfflineA0999
Disco ish
 User Gallery

Loc: TEXUS
    #1690658 - 07/06/03 04:51 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

that will work. you should take the tape off when you notice the mycelium growth slowing.

factory81: its called a glovebox.

--------------------
Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Re: PF Jars and a high loss rate [Re: A0999]
    #1690706 - 07/06/03 05:06 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum2&Number=1627128&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

Is an older post of mine about making an inoculation hood. If you mist your hands with 99%IPA and rub them thoroughly (this is after washing them with hot soapy water), you don't even need gloves. This DRASTICALLY cuts down on the numbers of jars lost to contams. I'd also recommend, if you are doing casings, transferring the cakes from the jars to the pot for dunking, then from that pot to the casing containers, isnide of this sterile workbox. Good luck!

--------------------
In response to an attack killing 15 American Servicemen
PsiloKitten said:
Just give em a little more time, the iraqis are making great progress. And this is unorganized. Wait till they get organized.

Offlinedickmcplentie
Traveler
Re: PF Jars and a high loss rate [Re: lysergic]
    #1691764 - 07/07/03 12:12 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

In the tek she followed the jars where filled with 2 parts verm, 1 part brf, 1 part water & the lids were drilled with 4 small holes and taped. They were then covered with foil and PC'ed at 15psi for 1 hour. The lids had no other filter material, only the holes. The holes were used to inoc the jars using a syringe then resealed.

The experiment was going slowly compared to the others she had working so she did some searching for answers here on the forum. The answer most often given for slow myc colonization in similar jars was to much Co2 and the dry layer of verm on the top of the jars, according to the post she had found suggested that uncovering the holes would cause very few contam problems.

In the end she has found that a lid drilled with 5 holes. One 1/2 inch hole in the center for air exchange and four small holes around the edge for inoculation works quit well.

--------------------
The above statement has been a figment of my imagination. Niether the statement nor the writer is real, we are both fiction & should not be taken seriously in any way

Offlinedickmcplentie
Traveler
    #1691765 - 07/07/03 12:13 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

some pics

--------------------

Offlinedickmcplentie
Traveler
    #1691781 - 07/07/03 12:19 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Sorry if this doesn't work, it's my first pic post

This is a shot of the lid she has found success with

This is the Tyvek source you are looking for. Easy and free. There are also standard USPS Tyvek envelopes available in the Post Office.

Look for this on the envelope to make sure you have the right thing

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures