Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRiparianZoneJunky
hunter/gatherer
Male

Loc: Oregon
Stress testing mycelium for bluing reaction?
    #16885280 - 09/21/12 08:16 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Ok guys, I have an outdoor patch I started this spring by transferring myc from some ovoids I found.  The problem is, I did this long before I had read much of anything on the cultivation forums and everything was done pretty much ass backwards.  Anything that could have been done incorrectly was, and while I'll definitely be prepared to do it the correct way next year thanks to all the information on this site, I'd like to find some way of stress-testing the myc that is growing in order to see if any of what's taking over my patch is viable ovoid mycelium rather than a variety of different inactives that invaded the patch while I was tarding around.  I already had some psathyrellas and some kind of tiny coprinoid popping up earlier, which is what prompted this post, so I took four pieces from different sections of the patch and put them on cardboard.  A week later, only one has significant growth, but it looks pretty decent (the myc is white and rhizomorphic) so I'm hopeful that this might actually be some ovoid mycelium.

So my question is, when this grows out a little bit and I'm able to remove some mycelium without losing the entire sample, what would be the best way to stress it out enough to ensure that if it's ovoid myc it will bruise blue?  I would hate to throw away good growth thinking it wasn't active just because I didn't stress it properly.  I'm thinking I should bake it at 300* for half an hour?  How would you go about purposefully stressing mycelium in order to make it turn as blue as possible?   
:facepalm:

--------------------
RZJ's Tea Tek
RZJ's Tradelist

Edited by RiparianZoneJunky (09/21/12 08:18 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: Stress testing mycelium for bluing reaction? [Re: RiparianZoneJunky]
    #16963036 - 10/04/12 12:34 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Nobody answered?

I can tell you what I know from some limited experience. You really have to damage the myc for it to blue. I believe that cells containing psilocin burst, and the psilocin is oxidized by the air. When I was doing pretty much what you have there, the bluing reaction was a bit hard to tease out. The myc doesn't really have much heft early on, and it kinda melts away when you touch it. I discovered that even if the myc is gone, the wood it was on has psilocin in it:

It helps if you use a light piece of wood. Make sure it is moist. Roll it in your fingers for a second then set it down a wait for 20 minutes to see if it blues.

I kinda use bluing as a backup, confirmation step. My primary method of identifying ovoid myc is smell.

Try to get your sample to grow on a little yellow twig, or a tiny piece of bamboo. The piece you have in the photo may work. Maybe rub the corner so some of the myc detaches from the wood, but is still attached to the rest of the myc. Keep it wet, and see if it blues either on the wood, which will look green, or the dangling myc itself.

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

OfflineRiparianZoneJunky
hunter/gatherer
Male

Re: Stress testing mycelium for bluing reaction? [Re: koods]
    #16964216 - 10/04/12 09:11 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks, I put a sample in the oven at 350 and nothing happened.  I'll let it grow out some more and try the pinch test.  If the mycelium should smell as richly honeyed & farinaceous as the fruits do it should be easy to tell once it grows out a little more.  The way the fall fruiting is going, I should probably be able to just find some samples to print and fresh stem-butts to put to cardboard in the next week or so, so this might all be a moot point very soon. :mushroom2:  Thanks for the response!

--------------------
RZJ's Tea Tek
RZJ's Tradelist

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: Stress testing mycelium for bluing reaction? [Re: RiparianZoneJunky]
    #16972101 - 10/05/12 02:24 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

akumushi said:
Thanks, I put a sample in the oven at 350 and nothing happened.  I'll let it grow out some more and try the pinch test.  If the mycelium should smell as richly honeyed & farinaceous as the fruits do it should be easy to tell once it grows out a little more.  The way the fall fruiting is going, I should probably be able to just find some samples to print and fresh stem-butts to put to cardboard in the next week or so, so this might all be a moot point very soon. :mushroom2:  Thanks for the response!

Nothing but nothing is happening down here. Lots of myc, but no indication at all that it might start fruiting. Days in the 80s and nights in the 60s so maybe too warm.

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Edited by koods (10/05/12 02:25 PM)

OfflineMacMerdin
Hunter
 User Gallery

Loc: The Island of Misfit Toys
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Stress testing mycelium for bluing reaction? [Re: koods]
    #16972250 - 10/05/12 02:56 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Patience grasshopper.  They are calling for it to cool down starting tonight.  I'm hoping they are like cubes and the longer consolidation time caused them to be more special.  I can dream can't I?  :smile:

--------------------
MacMerdin's Simple Pan-Cakes

OfflineRiparianZoneJunky
hunter/gatherer
Male

Re: Stress testing mycelium for bluing reaction? [Re: MacMerdin]
    #17048175 - 10/17/12 12:49 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Ok guys, just an update in case anybody in the future has this same problem and bothers to search.  I did some rough handling then baked in the oven and the only discoloration was some browning, so the samples I have from my outdoor patch aren't ovoids.  The good news is that I checked the wild patch today and found 2 decent fruits.  They're printing right now so hopefully  I'll be able to get the spores on agar soon and simply bypass this whole stem butt PITA.  I put the stem butts and a couple of small pieces of myc laden substrate on some cardboard just in case the samples I found don't print.  The small bit of myc that I pulled up that is definitely ovoid myc looked quite different than what I had on cardboard earlier, very ropey strands of rhizomorphic mycelium and patches of weak looking, cloudy myc.  It bruised easily from the little bit of handling I did so I guess the answer is that ovoid myc needs no where near the amount of abuse I put the other stuff through in order to show bluing, just a little pinching and exposure to the air.  @ Koods, I didn't notice any strong aroma to this myc, although I didn't go around sniffing it very closely either, the fruits themselves smell like honeyed, musty straw as per usual.  Thanks for the help. 

--------------------
RZJ's Tea Tek
RZJ's Tradelist

Edited by RiparianZoneJunky (10/17/12 01:04 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract