Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMonkeytroll83
Stranger
Loc: South eastern U.S.A.
Found a little patch in a backyard grass/pinestraw compost
    #1687915 - 07/05/03 11:43 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

July 5th 2003 Early Afternoon
First I would like to thank everyone here for all of your great help!.
You guys (and gals) are F'n GREAT!!!! I was just getting started in my first mushroom hunt, so i decided to start in my own backyard. I have a compost pile in a back corner of my fenced in yard. It is mostly grass clippings from currnet to years ago, there is also pine straw in one corner of this patch from a couple of years ago. This is where (in the pinestraw) i found alot of myco growth (lots of white mycillium, for give my spelling). Then i found a very thick patch growth with a couple of little shroomy buddies poking out!
I can't identify these little guys, i tried mycokey.com but it didn't come up with any good matches. I was hoping you guys could help. I will try and get my friends camera and post pictures later if i can. Also i am taking a spore print as i wright this.

here is my description:
Size: Height: between 1/4" - 1"
Cap: Very dark brown very much like a chestnut Color, The larger ones have some whits splotches maby from the cap just growing to large, or maby some contam?
Cap Size: Range from 1/8" - 3/4"
Cap Shape: Looks much like an almost opend cubensis but a good majority have a slit down one side making it look very much like the head of a penis.
Gills: The gills are a very pale light brown almost an off white color, maby a very slight hint of orange also.
Stem: A solid stem, white in color, unfortunitly there was no blueing (brusing).
Location Facts: In a compost pile, mostly in rotting pinestraw. The myco growth was quite large and there was a very reddish-orange color around the myco growth where it wasn't white. The area is fairly shaded. It has a very large milkweed plant growing fairly near it (iu only add this to wonder if this plant could be poisonous as the fungus could absorb some of the milkweed's poison.

July 5th 2003 Dusk
The excitement got to me so I decided to go out to a mountian bike trail near my house and look for more! I found alot of what i belive to be non-actives but i found one promising one (Taking a spore print now - it is dropping spores like crazy they are a dark brown-purpleish to an almost black in some concentrated spots.) I found a large concentration of beautiful chantrelles, I have never eaten them before anyone had them? But i'm getting my friend to come over and i will take pictures to post. BTW Thanx QQQ!!!

--------------------
"You must BE before you DO and you must DO before you HAVE." Zigg Ziggler

Edited by Monkeytroll83 (07/05/03 08:52 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Found a little patch in a backyard grass/pinestraw compo [Re: Monkeytroll83]
    #1688037 - 07/05/03 01:10 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

A spore print will be a big help on these. It should be something you do almost automatically when trying to identify mushrooms. I see you're doing one, so let us know what color it comes out.

Your description is a nice effort. As you probably realized as you tried to write your description, a picture really is worth a thousand words.

When you take photos, make sure you show the mushrooms from a few angles. In particular, we need to see the underside of the cap, the gills, and the stem (including ring, if present).

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineQQQ
Stranger
Re: Found a little patch in a backyard grass/pinestraw compost [Re: Monkeytroll83]
    #1688774 - 07/05/03 08:22 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

GOOD QUOTE

Anonymous

Re: Found a little patch in a backyard grass/pinestraw compost [Re: Monkeytroll83]
    #1689668 - 07/06/03 07:35 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom